Syracuse forward CJ Fair was flattered by the comments that former Orange player Josh Pace made about him last week.
Throughout his career, Fair has been compared to Pace, who played at Syracuse from 2001-05 and was on SU’s 2003 national championship team. Both wear number 5, have similar scoring styles and have been referred to as “glue guys.”
“I’ve been asked this a lot, actually, the last couple years,” Pace said on The Juice on the Cuse podcast last week. “I think he’s a better version of me, actually, well, in terms of physically and athleticism. […] We do definitely have a lot of [the same] characteristics but I do think he’s a better version of me. And that’s speaking for myself.”
Fair, who scored 19 points and grabbed 11 rebounds in Syracuse’s 76-65 over Seton Hall on Saturday night, appreciated the compliment.
“It’s an honor coming from him,” Fair said to The Juice Online following the win. “I haven’t met him personally, but I communicate with him through Twitter. For him to say that, it means a lot to me.”
But Pace did have some advice to offer Fair.
“I think he’s going to realize that he’s got to be more aggressive,” Pace said. “He has to what’s good for the team, but they’re going to need a little more out of him.”
Pace finished his career with averages of 7.3 points and 3.8 rebounds. In his junior year, Pace averaged 9.5 points and 5.3 rebounds, while starting all 31 games. Fair, a junior, has started every game this season and has been SU’s most consistent player with 14.0 points and 7.2 rebounds a game.
Still, Pace has one thing that Fair lacks.
“[Pace] was a great player for Syracuse when he was here and he won a national championship,” Fair said. “So I’m just trying to do the same thing for my team, help my team win a national championship.”
- What kind of freshman season will Syracuse G Malachi Richardson have? - April 17, 2015
- Maryland latest to offer 2017 guard Trevon Duval — Cuse Clicks - April 16, 2015
- Syracuse offers 6-foot-11, 2017 forward Mohammed Bamba — Cuse Clicks - April 15, 2015
- Syracuse lacrosse dominates Hobart from every angle - April 15, 2015
- Kentucky latest to jump in Kobi Simmons sweepstakes — Cuse Clicks - April 14, 2015
- Syracuse Alumni Team adds Demetris Nichols to roster, could add Andy Rautins, Paul Harris - April 14, 2015
- Jamal Murray shines in Nike Hoop Summit championship — Cuse Clicks - April 13, 2015
- North Carolina holds off Syracuse lacrosse’s rally for 17-15 win - April 12, 2015
- Former Syracuse basketball star Eric Devendorf excited for The Basketball Tournament - April 10, 2015
- Syracuse wraps up ACC play against North Carolina - April 10, 2015