As we wrote last week, the football program is adding to its facilities portfolio with a full 120-yard field indoor football building, and the hope is for ground to be broken in early spring, but there may not be any sort of major public announcement for a little while.
There’s a multitude of meetings taking place both internally at the university and with other appropriate external entities in the city, or as one athletic department staff member (preferring anonymity) recently described to The Juice Online, many involved in the project are “jumping through a lot of hoops” to get everything lined up for the building’s launch.
Updates have been provided to football donors and boosters, and as another AD staff member said on route to yet another meeting last week, “we’re off to build a (football indoor practice) building.”
As to the ’13 football schedule, online talk from both north and south circulated last week that Clemson was due in the Dome Sept. 14, week three of the season. But seriously, think about it. Would any team start off with games against Penn State at a neutral site, at Northwestern, then host a first-ever ACC game against as strong a program as Clemson in the season’s first three weeks?
With a new head coach to boot?
Scott Shafer would go charging into his boss’s office crying foul, and it’s not going to happen. Contracts are completed and all signs point to a FCS opponent in the Dome on Sept. 14, and the release of the entire ACC schedule is said to be imminent.
- Orange Watch: Perhaps now Jim Boeheim can even win 1000 games at Syracuse ‘twice’ - March 22, 2017
- Orange Watch: With Hopkins leaving Syracuse, a look back at March 19, 2015 - March 20, 2017
- NIT Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Mississippi 85 - March 18, 2017
- Orange Watch: 2017 only the ninth non-NCAA season under Jim Boeheim for Syracuse - March 14, 2017
- Orange Watch: Will tournament in Brooklyn resonate with Syracuse, ACC? - March 8, 2017
- Orange Watch: The case for Syracuse guard John Gillon being All-ACC - March 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: 2017 Syracuse football to play in traditional southern locales - February 28, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball facing a potential historic losing streak - February 21, 2017
- Orange Watch: Minimum of five games left to decide Syracuse basketball’s postseason - February 16, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 75, Pittsburgh 80 - February 11, 2017