As we wrote last week, the football program is adding to its facilities portfolio with a full 120-yard field indoor football building, and the hope is for ground to be broken in early spring, but there may not be any sort of major public announcement for a little while.
There’s a multitude of meetings taking place both internally at the university and with other appropriate external entities in the city, or as one athletic department staff member (preferring anonymity) recently described to The Juice Online, many involved in the project are “jumping through a lot of hoops” to get everything lined up for the building’s launch.
Updates have been provided to football donors and boosters, and as another AD staff member said on route to yet another meeting last week, “we’re off to build a (football indoor practice) building.”
As to the ’13 football schedule, online talk from both north and south circulated last week that Clemson was due in the Dome Sept. 14, week three of the season. But seriously, think about it. Would any team start off with games against Penn State at a neutral site, at Northwestern, then host a first-ever ACC game against as strong a program as Clemson in the season’s first three weeks?
With a new head coach to boot?
Scott Shafer would go charging into his boss’s office crying foul, and it’s not going to happen. Contracts are completed and all signs point to a FCS opponent in the Dome on Sept. 14, and the release of the entire ACC schedule is said to be imminent.
- Orange Watch: NCAA graduate transfer rule could alter 2016-17 Syracuse basketball - July 26, 2016
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football will benefit from new AD, football coach, Carrier Dome - July 12, 2016
- Syracuse names alum John Wildhack as new athletic director - July 6, 2016
- Orange Watch: After 28 years, how did that ‘SYRACUSE’ sign disappear from Rupp? - July 1, 2016
- Orange Watch: Nine game ACC football schedule makes sense for Syracuse - June 14, 2016
- Orange Watch: The 2016-17 guide to Syracuse Orange athletics postseason locations - May 31, 2016
- Orange Watch: Carrier Dome renovation will bring Syracuse pro sports atmosphere on college campus - May 24, 2016
- NCAA Lacrosse Instant Juice: Syracuse 7, Maryland 13 - May 21, 2016
- Orange Watch: In wide open NCAA tournament, Syracuse looks to knock off No. 1 Maryland - May 17, 2016
- Orange Watch: Under current rules, Syracuse players will continue to leave early for NBA - May 11, 2016