NEWARK, N.J. — Coming off one of the worst shooting performances of his career, Brandon Triche then turned in one of his best.
The senior guard poured in a career-high 29 points and added six rebounds and five assists as the Orange snapped a three-game road losing streak with a 76-65 win over Seton Hall.
“It wasn’t just what I was doing; it was what the team was doing,” Triche said. “Ultimately I was trying to make plays. When it came down to it, I wanted the ball in my hands and I was able to convert.”
Triche was coming off a 3-for-15 shooting night in a 66-58 loss to Connecticut on Wednesday. But he didn’t let that have any effects on him.
“I had 29 today,” Triche said. “So it didn’t seem to bother me too well.”
That also applied to his outside shooting, where he was 0-for-7 against the Huskies, and just a combined 2-for-23 over his past four games. He snapped out of that funk with a balmy 4-for-7 performance from 3-point range.
“[Against Connceticut], he was a little off and this game he bounced back and he was knocking down shots,” Syracuse guard Michael Carter-Williams said. “He was aggressive today and played really well.”
It didn’t start that way, as Triche missed four of his first five shots and the Orange found itself down 21-12 with 11:17 left in the first half.
But Triche found his rhythm, sparking a 12-0 run to Syracuse a three-point lead with five minutes left that they would never relinquish.
Triche scored five points during that span, and got things started with a runner in the lane.
“Brandon got going and was aggressive tonight like we need him to be,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. “He just had an unbelievable game.”
Still, Triche was careful not to get lost in a single-game performance, good or bad.
“You can’t go game-by-game,” Triche said. “I like to look at it in a three game span. Then, we have Providence and Georgetown. If we win all three of those games, we’ll be in a good place.”
- 2016 5-star point guard Kobi Simmons visits Kentucky — Cuse Clicks - November 24, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 7, Pitt 30 - November 22, 2014
- Kaleb Joseph shows growth as Syracuse edges Iowa - November 22, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 66, Iowa 63 - November 21, 2014
- Star 2015 forward Thomas Bryant to visit Kentucky — Cuse Clicks - November 21, 2014
- In loss to Cal, Syracuse basketball’s inexperience shows - November 21, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 59, California 73 - November 20, 2014
- Thomas Bryant considering Syracuse, Indiana and Missouri — Cuse Clicks - November 20, 2014
- Lake Forest Academy DL Wesley Annan commits to Stanford — Cuse Clicks - November 19, 2014
- Syracuse commit Moustapha Diagne among elite recruits at Burger King Classic — Cuse Clicks - November 17, 2014