NEWARK, N.J. — Coming off one of the worst shooting performances of his career, Brandon Triche then turned in one of his best.
The senior guard poured in a career-high 29 points and added six rebounds and five assists as the Orange snapped a three-game road losing streak with a 76-65 win over Seton Hall.
“It wasn’t just what I was doing; it was what the team was doing,” Triche said. “Ultimately I was trying to make plays. When it came down to it, I wanted the ball in my hands and I was able to convert.”
Triche was coming off a 3-for-15 shooting night in a 66-58 loss to Connecticut on Wednesday. But he didn’t let that have any effects on him.
“I had 29 today,” Triche said. “So it didn’t seem to bother me too well.”
That also applied to his outside shooting, where he was 0-for-7 against the Huskies, and just a combined 2-for-23 over his past four games. He snapped out of that funk with a balmy 4-for-7 performance from 3-point range.
“[Against Connceticut], he was a little off and this game he bounced back and he was knocking down shots,” Syracuse guard Michael Carter-Williams said. “He was aggressive today and played really well.”
It didn’t start that way, as Triche missed four of his first five shots and the Orange found itself down 21-12 with 11:17 left in the first half.
But Triche found his rhythm, sparking a 12-0 run to Syracuse a three-point lead with five minutes left that they would never relinquish.
Triche scored five points during that span, and got things started with a runner in the lane.
“Brandon got going and was aggressive tonight like we need him to be,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. “He just had an unbelievable game.”
Still, Triche was careful not to get lost in a single-game performance, good or bad.
“You can’t go game-by-game,” Triche said. “I like to look at it in a three game span. Then, we have Providence and Georgetown. If we win all three of those games, we’ll be in a good place.”
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, Boston College 17 - November 28, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 74, Texas A&M 67 - November 27, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Florida teammates Whittaker, Hawkins hold Syracuse offers - November 27, 2015
- NCAA Appeals Committee restores four scholarships to Syracuse basketball - November 25, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Taurean Thompson likes Syracuse, picks up NC State offer - November 25, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: How does Shafer firing affect Syracuse recruits? - November 24, 2015
- Syracuse fires football coach Scott Shafer - November 23, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse one of two recruiting Taurean Thompson hardest - November 23, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 66, Elon 55 - November 21, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 29, NC State 42 - November 21, 2015