NEWARK, N.J. — Coming off one of the worst shooting performances of his career, Brandon Triche then turned in one of his best.
The senior guard poured in a career-high 29 points and added six rebounds and five assists as the Orange snapped a three-game road losing streak with a 76-65 win over Seton Hall.
“It wasn’t just what I was doing; it was what the team was doing,” Triche said. “Ultimately I was trying to make plays. When it came down to it, I wanted the ball in my hands and I was able to convert.”
Triche was coming off a 3-for-15 shooting night in a 66-58 loss to Connecticut on Wednesday. But he didn’t let that have any effects on him.
“I had 29 today,” Triche said. “So it didn’t seem to bother me too well.”
That also applied to his outside shooting, where he was 0-for-7 against the Huskies, and just a combined 2-for-23 over his past four games. He snapped out of that funk with a balmy 4-for-7 performance from 3-point range.
“[Against Connceticut], he was a little off and this game he bounced back and he was knocking down shots,” Syracuse guard Michael Carter-Williams said. “He was aggressive today and played really well.”
It didn’t start that way, as Triche missed four of his first five shots and the Orange found itself down 21-12 with 11:17 left in the first half.
But Triche found his rhythm, sparking a 12-0 run to Syracuse a three-point lead with five minutes left that they would never relinquish.
Triche scored five points during that span, and got things started with a runner in the lane.
“Brandon got going and was aggressive tonight like we need him to be,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. “He just had an unbelievable game.”
Still, Triche was careful not to get lost in a single-game performance, good or bad.
“You can’t go game-by-game,” Triche said. “I like to look at it in a three game span. Then, we have Providence and Georgetown. If we win all three of those games, we’ll be in a good place.”
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: 2016 guard Tyus Battle has ‘great visit’ to Duke - October 28, 2014
- North Carolina State Wolfpack — 2014 Syracuse football scouting report - October 28, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Trevon Duval has ‘pretty good’ visit to Orange Madness - October 27, 2014
- Syracuse 6, Clemson 16 — What we learned - October 27, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 6, Clemson 16 - October 25, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Malachi Richardson among top talent in 8Eye Classic - October 24, 2014
- Philadephia 76ers forward Jerami Grant: I miss ‘everything’ about Syracuse - October 24, 2014
- NCAA investigating Syracuse men’s basketball, football programs - October 24, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Trevon Duval, Nate Pierre-Louis drawing high-major interest - October 20, 2014
- Syracuse 30, Wake Forest 7 — What we learned - October 20, 2014