Syracuse will try to end its first losing streak of the season when it returns home to play the Fighting Irish. Here is a scouting report for the game:
FAMILY FEUD: The Super Bowl featured a sub-plot between Harbaugh brothers. On the day after the Super Bowl, Jerian and Jerami Grant will have a family feud, as well. As you’ve heard many, many times on broadcasts so far, both are the sons of former NBA player, Harvey Grant, and nephews of another former NBA star, Horace Grant. Only a year and a half separate the two brothers. Jerian is averaging 12.6 points and 5.6 assists per game, while playing 35.9 minutes for the Irish. Jerami was expected to be sparingly used this season, but has been pressed into bigger duty now with James Southerland academically ineligible. It will be the first, and possibly only, meeting between the two brothers in college.
SCOUTING THE IRISH: Jack Cooley leads Notre Dame in points (15.0) and rebounds (11.3) per game. In a 79-71 overtime win on Saturday over DePaul, he finished with 26 points, 16 rebounds and 3 blocks. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, only 2 other times since the 1996-97 season has a Notre Dame player had at least 25 Pts, 15 Reb, and 3 blocks in a game. Eric Atkins leads the team in assists with 6.2 a game.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: Syracuse leads the all-time series between the two schools 24-19, with the school’s first meeting coming coming 99 years ago on February 12, 1914. SU won that game 50-14. The last time these two teams met, Notre Dame handed then-No. 1 Syracuse its first loss of the season. Without Fab Melo in the lineup, Cooley had 17 points and 10 rebounds to lead the Irish.
GAME INFORMATION: Monday, February 4, 2013 at 7 p.m. at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY. TV: ESPN.
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Malachi Richardson among top talent in 8Eye Classic - October 24, 2014
- Philadephia 76ers forward Jerami Grant: I miss ‘everything’ about Syracuse - October 24, 2014
- NCAA investigating Syracuse men’s basketball, football programs - October 24, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Trevon Duval, Nate Pierre-Louis drawing high-major interest - October 20, 2014
- Syracuse 30, Wake Forest 7 — What we learned - October 20, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 30, Wake Forest 7 - October 18, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Large group of recruits to attend Orange Madness - October 17, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: 2016 wing VJ King taking time with recruitment - October 16, 2014
- SNY.tv Syracuse podcast: Can football make a bowl; Previewing 2014-15 hoops - October 15, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Tyus Battle has ‘great visit’ at SU - October 14, 2014