A quick take on Syracuse’s 63-47 win over Notre Dame at the Carrier Dome:
WHAT HAPPENED: A 16-7 run that started with 5:40 remaining in the first half and ended with 17:41 in the second turned a slim one point margin into a 10 point lead. Notre Dame would get no closer than 6 points in the second half, and this time, “stall ball” worked for the Orange as the Irish couldn’t string together a final push with under 6 minutes to go. The win ended a two-game losing streak for the No. 9 Orange.
ANALYSIS: The Orange ended their losing streak by getting back to defensive fundamentals. Notre Dame was held to 34 percent shooting from the field and was just 6-20 from downtown. Jack Cooley, who came in leading the Irish with 17.0 ppg was neutralized, and finished with just 10 points. Though SU struggled from downtown again (4-15), they shot 48 percent from the field because they had much better movement in the halfcourt set and also got out on the fast break and were able to make easy baskets. The Orange also got much more production from Rakeem Christmas. One game after being held scoreless, Christmas was much more aggressive and finished with 12 points and 5 rebounds.
HERO: Jerami Grant won the family feud with his brother, Jerian Grant. The younger brother finished with a career-high 14 points, getting another start at wing. Though the statistics weren’t particularly impressive, Michael Carter-Williams was excellent as a game manager. MCW took only 3 shots and finished with 8 assists to just one turnover. CJ Fair was the high man for the Orange with 18 points and 10 rebounds. Jerian was the only one who had it going for Notre Dame, and led the Fighting Irish with 15 points.
ZERO: Cameron Biedscheid just couldn’t get it going. He was 3-12 from the field and 1-8 from downtown. Notre Dame was uncharacteristically outrebounded by the Orange, 29-21.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will continue its homestand when it hosts St. John’s at the Carrier Dome on Sunday, Feb. 10, 2013 at 3 p.m. TV: ESPN.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 62, Miami 66 - January 24, 2015
- What effect will NCAA investigation have on Syracuse’s recruitment of Thomas Bryant? - January 23, 2015
- Syracuse commit Malachi Richardson pours in 34 for Iron Mikes — Cuse Clicks - January 23, 2015
- Moustapha Diagne notches 16 points, rebounds as Pope John avoids upset — Cuse Clicks - January 22, 2015
- VJ King planning visits to Kentucky, Louisville — Cuse Clicks - January 21, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 69, Boston College 61 - January 20, 2015
- Thomas Bryant puts on performance with Syracuse watching — Cuse Clicks - January 20, 2015
- Syracuse among schools recruiting 2017 wing Jordan Tucker — Cuse Clicks - January 19, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 53, Clemson 66 - January 17, 2015
- Syracuse commit Malachi Richardson nominated for McDonald’s All-American game — Cuse Clicks - January 15, 2015