A quick take on Syracuse’s 63-47 win over Notre Dame at the Carrier Dome:
WHAT HAPPENED: A 16-7 run that started with 5:40 remaining in the first half and ended with 17:41 in the second turned a slim one point margin into a 10 point lead. Notre Dame would get no closer than 6 points in the second half, and this time, “stall ball” worked for the Orange as the Irish couldn’t string together a final push with under 6 minutes to go. The win ended a two-game losing streak for the No. 9 Orange.
ANALYSIS: The Orange ended their losing streak by getting back to defensive fundamentals. Notre Dame was held to 34 percent shooting from the field and was just 6-20 from downtown. Jack Cooley, who came in leading the Irish with 17.0 ppg was neutralized, and finished with just 10 points. Though SU struggled from downtown again (4-15), they shot 48 percent from the field because they had much better movement in the halfcourt set and also got out on the fast break and were able to make easy baskets. The Orange also got much more production from Rakeem Christmas. One game after being held scoreless, Christmas was much more aggressive and finished with 12 points and 5 rebounds.
HERO: Jerami Grant won the family feud with his brother, Jerian Grant. The younger brother finished with a career-high 14 points, getting another start at wing. Though the statistics weren’t particularly impressive, Michael Carter-Williams was excellent as a game manager. MCW took only 3 shots and finished with 8 assists to just one turnover. CJ Fair was the high man for the Orange with 18 points and 10 rebounds. Jerian was the only one who had it going for Notre Dame, and led the Fighting Irish with 15 points.
ZERO: Cameron Biedscheid just couldn’t get it going. He was 3-12 from the field and 1-8 from downtown. Notre Dame was uncharacteristically outrebounded by the Orange, 29-21.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will continue its homestand when it hosts St. John’s at the Carrier Dome on Sunday, Feb. 10, 2013 at 3 p.m. TV: ESPN.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 99, Boston University 77 - December 10, 2016
- Coleman’s recent uptick could be Syracuse’s best since Christmas - December 7, 2016
- After loss to UConn, Syracuse’s Lydon vows to be more aggressive - December 6, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 50, Connecticut 52 - December 5, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, North Florida 71 - December 3, 2016
- Two early season losses could be bad harbinger for Syracuse basketball - December 1, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 61, Pittsburgh 76 - November 26, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 101, South Carolina State 59 - November 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands commitment from Bourama Sidibe - November 22, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Monmouth 50 - November 18, 2016