A quick take on Syracuse’s 63-47 win over Notre Dame at the Carrier Dome:
WHAT HAPPENED: A 16-7 run that started with 5:40 remaining in the first half and ended with 17:41 in the second turned a slim one point margin into a 10 point lead. Notre Dame would get no closer than 6 points in the second half, and this time, “stall ball” worked for the Orange as the Irish couldn’t string together a final push with under 6 minutes to go. The win ended a two-game losing streak for the No. 9 Orange.
ANALYSIS: The Orange ended their losing streak by getting back to defensive fundamentals. Notre Dame was held to 34 percent shooting from the field and was just 6-20 from downtown. Jack Cooley, who came in leading the Irish with 17.0 ppg was neutralized, and finished with just 10 points. Though SU struggled from downtown again (4-15), they shot 48 percent from the field because they had much better movement in the halfcourt set and also got out on the fast break and were able to make easy baskets. The Orange also got much more production from Rakeem Christmas. One game after being held scoreless, Christmas was much more aggressive and finished with 12 points and 5 rebounds.
HERO: Jerami Grant won the family feud with his brother, Jerian Grant. The younger brother finished with a career-high 14 points, getting another start at wing. Though the statistics weren’t particularly impressive, Michael Carter-Williams was excellent as a game manager. MCW took only 3 shots and finished with 8 assists to just one turnover. CJ Fair was the high man for the Orange with 18 points and 10 rebounds. Jerian was the only one who had it going for Notre Dame, and led the Fighting Irish with 15 points.
ZERO: Cameron Biedscheid just couldn’t get it going. He was 3-12 from the field and 1-8 from downtown. Notre Dame was uncharacteristically outrebounded by the Orange, 29-21.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will continue its homestand when it hosts St. John’s at the Carrier Dome on Sunday, Feb. 10, 2013 at 3 p.m. TV: ESPN.
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Najee Clayton to visit Orange on Saturday - October 31, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: 2016 guard Tyus Battle has ‘great visit’ to Duke - October 28, 2014
- North Carolina State Wolfpack — 2014 Syracuse football scouting report - October 28, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Trevon Duval has ‘pretty good’ visit to Orange Madness - October 27, 2014
- Syracuse 6, Clemson 16 — What we learned - October 27, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 6, Clemson 16 - October 25, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Malachi Richardson among top talent in 8Eye Classic - October 24, 2014
- Philadephia 76ers forward Jerami Grant: I miss ‘everything’ about Syracuse - October 24, 2014
- NCAA investigating Syracuse men’s basketball, football programs - October 24, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Trevon Duval, Nate Pierre-Louis drawing high-major interest - October 20, 2014