A quick take on Syracuse’s 65-55 loss to Pittsburgh in the Petersen Center:
WHAT HAPPENED: An early 8-2 run that stretched from late in the first half until 3 minutes into the second gave Pitt a 6 point lead, which was more than enough in a low scoring game.
ANALYSIS: It was another classic Big East matchup that was ugly offensively to watch, but was a brilliant defensive game. But things that hurt Syracuse all season came back to haunt them today. SU was badly outrebounded (37-21) and generally hurt on the interior. The Orange frontline was nonexistent offensively and SU missed 3-pointers and front ends of 1-and-1s down the stretch. For the game, SU shot just 36 percent from the field and was 3-14 from downtown. All three losses have been to Pennsylvania teams this season.
HERO: CJ Fair was SU’s best offensive option and led the way with 20 points on 9-12 shooting.
ZERO: Syracuse’s big men once again didn’t show up. Rakeem Christmas went scoreless, and Keita wasn’t much better with 3 points. The big men don’t need to put up huge scoring numbers but they do need to at least be somewhat of an offensive threat. Michael Carter-Williams and Brandon Triche were both in double figures but shot a combined 7-26.
WHAT’S NEXT: The Orange returns to the Carrier Dome to host Notre Dame on Monday, Feb. 4 in the Carrier Dome at 7 p.m. TV: ESPN.
- Former punter Brendan Carney talks Syracuse football, Riley Dixon, marathoning - May 18, 2016
- Second half rally by Syracuse lacrosse enough to silence Albany - May 16, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse, seeded No. 8 in the NCAA Tournament, will host Albany - May 9, 2016
- Colgate Raiders — 2016 Syracuse lacrosse scouting report - May 5, 2016
- What will Syracuse’s starting lineup look like in the 2016-17 season? - May 5, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse in final three for Taurean Thompson - May 5, 2016
- Belbey looking to add one more player to Syracuse alumni team ‘Boeheim’s Army’ - May 4, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 wing Jordan Tucker calls visit to Syracuse ‘great’ - May 4, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: CJ Holmes names Syracuse to top three, Orange offers slew of Florida prospects - May 3, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands commitment from graduate transfer John Gillon - May 2, 2016