A quick take on Syracuse’s 65-55 loss to Pittsburgh in the Petersen Center:
WHAT HAPPENED: An early 8-2 run that stretched from late in the first half until 3 minutes into the second gave Pitt a 6 point lead, which was more than enough in a low scoring game.
ANALYSIS: It was another classic Big East matchup that was ugly offensively to watch, but was a brilliant defensive game. But things that hurt Syracuse all season came back to haunt them today. SU was badly outrebounded (37-21) and generally hurt on the interior. The Orange frontline was nonexistent offensively and SU missed 3-pointers and front ends of 1-and-1s down the stretch. For the game, SU shot just 36 percent from the field and was 3-14 from downtown. All three losses have been to Pennsylvania teams this season.
HERO: CJ Fair was SU’s best offensive option and led the way with 20 points on 9-12 shooting.
ZERO: Syracuse’s big men once again didn’t show up. Rakeem Christmas went scoreless, and Keita wasn’t much better with 3 points. The big men don’t need to put up huge scoring numbers but they do need to at least be somewhat of an offensive threat. Michael Carter-Williams and Brandon Triche were both in double figures but shot a combined 7-26.
WHAT’S NEXT: The Orange returns to the Carrier Dome to host Notre Dame on Monday, Feb. 4 in the Carrier Dome at 7 p.m. TV: ESPN.
- McAllister: Syracuse currently ‘favorite’ to land Quade Green, Oahae Brissett - October 26, 2016
- What kind of senior season will Tyler Roberson have at Syracuse? - October 25, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 28, Boston College 20 - October 22, 2016
- Boston College Eagles— 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - October 21, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 31, Virginia Tech 17 - October 15, 2016
- Virginia Tech Hokies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - October 14, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 9, Wake Forest 28 - October 8, 2016
- Waters: Syracuse basketball in ‘good shape’ for 2017 targets - October 6, 2016
- Wake Forest Demon Deacons — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - October 5, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse extends offer to 2017 five-star Billy Preston - October 4, 2016