A quick take on Syracuse’s 65-55 loss to Pittsburgh in the Petersen Center:
WHAT HAPPENED: An early 8-2 run that stretched from late in the first half until 3 minutes into the second gave Pitt a 6 point lead, which was more than enough in a low scoring game.
ANALYSIS: It was another classic Big East matchup that was ugly offensively to watch, but was a brilliant defensive game. But things that hurt Syracuse all season came back to haunt them today. SU was badly outrebounded (37-21) and generally hurt on the interior. The Orange frontline was nonexistent offensively and SU missed 3-pointers and front ends of 1-and-1s down the stretch. For the game, SU shot just 36 percent from the field and was 3-14 from downtown. All three losses have been to Pennsylvania teams this season.
HERO: CJ Fair was SU’s best offensive option and led the way with 20 points on 9-12 shooting.
ZERO: Syracuse’s big men once again didn’t show up. Rakeem Christmas went scoreless, and Keita wasn’t much better with 3 points. The big men don’t need to put up huge scoring numbers but they do need to at least be somewhat of an offensive threat. Michael Carter-Williams and Brandon Triche were both in double figures but shot a combined 7-26.
WHAT’S NEXT: The Orange returns to the Carrier Dome to host Notre Dame on Monday, Feb. 4 in the Carrier Dome at 7 p.m. TV: ESPN.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 76, Boston College 53 - January 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 73, Virginia Tech 83 - January 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, Pittsburgh 66 - January 7, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 70, Miami 55 - January 4, 2017
- Kouwe: Syracuse basketball ‘will get better from here’ - January 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 81, Boston College 96 - January 1, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Cornell 56 - December 27, 2016
- Cornell Big Red — 2016-17 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - December 26, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 60, St. John’s 93 - December 21, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Georgetown 78 - December 17, 2016