Isaiah Johnson was one of Syracuse’s first commits in the Class of 2013. He’s a 6-foot-4, 270-pound defensive end from Tri-State Christian Academy that will be a part of SU’s first class in the ACC. We recently caught up with Johnson to talk about his feelings on the new coaching staff and his expectations for Syracuse.
The Juice Online: One of the biggest stories in the last month was Doug Marrone leaving Syracuse and Scott Shafer taking over the program. What was your thought process behind staying at Syracuse?
Isaiah Johnson: I had a really good relationship with Coach Shaffer. Coach Marrone, he was a great guy, but coach Shaf, me and him really clicked because he’s a defensive minded coach. And my position coach, Coach (Tim) Daoust, didn’t go anywhere. Him, and my father and coach Shaffer all had a good relationship with each other, and that’s more important to me than anything.
TJO: What should Syracuse fans expect to see from you? Who you compare yourself most to?
IJ: Honestly, I don’t compare myself with anybody. I’m Isiah Johnson. I don’t compare myself to anyone because nobody is as unique as I am. I’m tall. I have quick feet. I know how to rush the passer fairly well, and there’s just a whole lot of things about me that I have to learn. I think I’m a late bloomer in this game called football.
- Clemson Tigers — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - July 27, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2018 defensive back Jarrett Paul to visit Syracuse on Thursday - July 26, 2016
- How will Syracuse F Michael Gbinije do with the Detroit Pistons? - July 25, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands commitment from 2017 LB Nadarius Fagan - July 25, 2016
- Boston College Eagles — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - July 22, 2016
- Instant Juice: Boeheim’s Army 84, The Untouchables 91 - July 21, 2016
- Steven Clark — Meet the 2016 Syracuse Football team - July 21, 2016
- How will Syracuse G Malachi Richardson do with the Sacramento Kings? - July 20, 2016
- Dontae Strickland — Meet the 2016 Syracuse Football team - July 15, 2016
- Former Syracuse LB Jake Flaherty: ‘It’s an exciting time for the program’ - July 14, 2016