Isaiah Johnson was one of Syracuse’s first commits in the Class of 2013. He’s a 6-foot-4, 270-pound defensive end from Tri-State Christian Academy that will be a part of SU’s first class in the ACC. We recently caught up with Johnson to talk about his feelings on the new coaching staff and his expectations for Syracuse.
The Juice Online: One of the biggest stories in the last month was Doug Marrone leaving Syracuse and Scott Shafer taking over the program. What was your thought process behind staying at Syracuse?
Isaiah Johnson: I had a really good relationship with Coach Shaffer. Coach Marrone, he was a great guy, but coach Shaf, me and him really clicked because he’s a defensive minded coach. And my position coach, Coach (Tim) Daoust, didn’t go anywhere. Him, and my father and coach Shaffer all had a good relationship with each other, and that’s more important to me than anything.
TJO: What should Syracuse fans expect to see from you? Who you compare yourself most to?
IJ: Honestly, I don’t compare myself with anybody. I’m Isiah Johnson. I don’t compare myself to anyone because nobody is as unique as I am. I’m tall. I have quick feet. I know how to rush the passer fairly well, and there’s just a whole lot of things about me that I have to learn. I think I’m a late bloomer in this game called football.
- Syracuse football: Offense report card through four games - October 5, 2015
- Weekend Recruiting Roundup: Christopher Clark down to Syracuse, Pittsburgh - October 5, 2015
- Against ranked opponent, Zack Mahoney outdueled Syracuse predecessors - October 2, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers Zachary Sweeney, KJ Britt, Florida trio - October 2, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 OL Kadeem Telfort offered by Syracuse - October 1, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Chris Clark will visit Syracuse; Kevin Knox nets SU offer - September 30, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Jarrett Paul, Amir Watts set visit dates to Syracuse - September 29, 2015
- Syracuse 24, LSU 34 — What we learned - September 28, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Green enjoys visit to Syracuse; Gardner nets SU offer - September 28, 2015
- LSU Tigers — 2015 Syracuse football scouting report - September 25, 2015