Isaiah Johnson was one of Syracuse’s first commits in the Class of 2013. He’s a 6-foot-4, 270-pound defensive end from Tri-State Christian Academy that will be a part of SU’s first class in the ACC. We recently caught up with Johnson to talk about his feelings on the new coaching staff and his expectations for Syracuse.
The Juice Online: One of the biggest stories in the last month was Doug Marrone leaving Syracuse and Scott Shafer taking over the program. What was your thought process behind staying at Syracuse?
Isaiah Johnson: I had a really good relationship with Coach Shaffer. Coach Marrone, he was a great guy, but coach Shaf, me and him really clicked because he’s a defensive minded coach. And my position coach, Coach (Tim) Daoust, didn’t go anywhere. Him, and my father and coach Shaffer all had a good relationship with each other, and that’s more important to me than anything.
TJO: What should Syracuse fans expect to see from you? Who you compare yourself most to?
IJ: Honestly, I don’t compare myself with anybody. I’m Isiah Johnson. I don’t compare myself to anyone because nobody is as unique as I am. I’m tall. I have quick feet. I know how to rush the passer fairly well, and there’s just a whole lot of things about me that I have to learn. I think I’m a late bloomer in this game called football.
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 shooting guard Robby Carmody - August 30, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands grad transfer guard Andrew White - August 29, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes cuts for Lonnie Walker, Jordan Tucker - August 26, 2016
- Adelson: Syracuse football improved, but still ‘four to five’ win team - August 24, 2016
- 2016 Syracuse Football Burning Questions: Can Eric Dungey stay healthy? - August 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska transfer Andrew White down to Syracuse, VCU - August 22, 2016
- Pittsburgh Panthers — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - August 18, 2016
- Steve Ishmael — Meet the 2016 Syracuse Football team - August 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Cameron Reddish hearing most from Villanova, Duke, Syracuse - August 16, 2016
- 2016 Syracuse Football Burning Questions: How will the defense adjust to Tampa 2? - August 15, 2016