James Southerland will be out at least two more games while he appeals his academic ineligibility, Mike Waters of the Post-Standard reported on Thursday afternoon.
Waters cited a source, who said that Syracuse will hear the appeal, and not NCAA officials. In a previous report, Waters said that Southerland has been suspended because a term paper was allegedly written by a tutor.
That means that Southerland will be out for the game this Saturday against Pittsburgh, and Monday’s game against Notre Dame. Syracuse is 3-1 in Southerland’s absence, with the Orange losing 75-71 to Villanova in overtime on Saturday.
Syracuse’s rotation is thin right now after the team announced Monday that starting freshman center DaJuan Coleman will be out four weeks with knee surgery.
- Against ranked opponent, Zack Mahoney outdueled Syracuse predecessors - October 2, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers Zachary Sweeney, KJ Britt, Florida trio - October 2, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 OL Kadeem Telfort offered by Syracuse - October 1, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Chris Clark will visit Syracuse; Kevin Knox nets SU offer - September 30, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Jarrett Paul, Amir Watts set visit dates to Syracuse - September 29, 2015
- Syracuse 24, LSU 34 — What we learned - September 28, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Green enjoys visit to Syracuse; Gardner nets SU offer - September 28, 2015
- LSU Tigers — 2015 Syracuse football scouting report - September 25, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree, Quade Green to visit Syracuse this weekend - September 25, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse basketball offers Hamidou Diallo - September 24, 2015