Syracuse and St. John’s announced they will continue their rivalry despite realignment.
The two teams will play a home-and-home over the next two seasons. SU will travel to New York City to play in Madison Square Garden on Sunday, Dec. 15, 2013 and the Red Storm will visit the Carrier Dome at a later date.
Syracuse and St. John’s have played 86 times overall, with the Orange holding a 49-37 series lead. SU will start playing in the ACC the 2013-14 season. The teams next meet on February 10, in the Carrier Dome.
“There are traditional series that are very important to us that go beyond conference affiliations,” Director of Athletics at Syracuse Daryl Gross said in a release. “One of those is St John’s, which has an obvious place in Syracuse basketball history. As we continue to aggressively secure rivalries that are dear to us, we are pleased to announce the continuation of this great series between two outstanding universities.”
Said Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim: “The rivalry with St. John’s has been one of the strongest for our program. We had some great games when I was in school and the series continued to grow with Coach Carnesecca at St. John’s right up to today with Coach Lavin.
“Playing in Madison Square Garden is always a special event for Syracuse and for our fans in New York City. It will be great that our fans in Central New York will have the chance to see St. John’s in the Dome the following year.”
- Clemson Tigers — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - July 25, 2017
- Zaire Franklin — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - July 18, 2017
- Pittsburgh Panthers — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - July 17, 2017
- NC State Wolfpack — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - July 10, 2017
- Ryan Blackwell on Boeheim’s Army, Mike Hopkins leaving, favorite Syracuse moment - July 7, 2017
- LSU Tigers — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 29, 2017
- Scoop Bradshaw — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - June 26, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: NJ wide receiver Taj Harris commits to Syracuse - June 26, 2017
- Breaking down Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon’s selection by the Denver Nuggets - June 23, 2017
- Former Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon selected by Denver Nuggets in NBA Draft - June 22, 2017