Syracuse and St. John’s announced they will continue their rivalry despite realignment.
The two teams will play a home-and-home over the next two seasons. SU will travel to New York City to play in Madison Square Garden on Sunday, Dec. 15, 2013 and the Red Storm will visit the Carrier Dome at a later date.
Syracuse and St. John’s have played 86 times overall, with the Orange holding a 49-37 series lead. SU will start playing in the ACC the 2013-14 season. The teams next meet on February 10, in the Carrier Dome.
“There are traditional series that are very important to us that go beyond conference affiliations,” Director of Athletics at Syracuse Daryl Gross said in a release. “One of those is St John’s, which has an obvious place in Syracuse basketball history. As we continue to aggressively secure rivalries that are dear to us, we are pleased to announce the continuation of this great series between two outstanding universities.”
Said Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim: “The rivalry with St. John’s has been one of the strongest for our program. We had some great games when I was in school and the series continued to grow with Coach Carnesecca at St. John’s right up to today with Coach Lavin.
“Playing in Madison Square Garden is always a special event for Syracuse and for our fans in New York City. It will be great that our fans in Central New York will have the chance to see St. John’s in the Dome the following year.”
- Syracuse target Alterique Gilbert to commit Saturday — Cuse Clicks - July 3, 2015
- ESPN’s McMenamin breaks down former Syracuse basketball stars’ NBA chances - July 2, 2015
- Coach says 2017 Syracuse commit Daewood Davis will ‘stretch the field’ — Cuse Clicks - July 1, 2015
- South Florida Bulls — 2015 Syracuse Football preview - July 1, 2015
- Syracuse picks up first 2017 commit with Daewood Davis — Cuse Clicks - June 30, 2015
- Tyus Battle likes Syracuse ‘a lot’ after his official visit — Cuse Clicks - June 29, 2015
- Syracuse target Christian Colon commits to Penn State — Cuse Clicks - June 26, 2015
- Rakeem Christmas credits Syracuse, Jim Boeheim after being drafted - June 26, 2015
- Chris McCullough predicts November return to Brooklyn Nets - June 26, 2015
- Former Syracuse center Rakeem Christmas lands with Cleveland Cavaliers - June 25, 2015