Syracuse and St. John’s announced they will continue their rivalry despite realignment.
The two teams will play a home-and-home over the next two seasons. SU will travel to New York City to play in Madison Square Garden on Sunday, Dec. 15, 2013 and the Red Storm will visit the Carrier Dome at a later date.
Syracuse and St. John’s have played 86 times overall, with the Orange holding a 49-37 series lead. SU will start playing in the ACC the 2013-14 season. The teams next meet on February 10, in the Carrier Dome.
“There are traditional series that are very important to us that go beyond conference affiliations,” Director of Athletics at Syracuse Daryl Gross said in a release. “One of those is St John’s, which has an obvious place in Syracuse basketball history. As we continue to aggressively secure rivalries that are dear to us, we are pleased to announce the continuation of this great series between two outstanding universities.”
Said Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim: “The rivalry with St. John’s has been one of the strongest for our program. We had some great games when I was in school and the series continued to grow with Coach Carnesecca at St. John’s right up to today with Coach Lavin.
“Playing in Madison Square Garden is always a special event for Syracuse and for our fans in New York City. It will be great that our fans in Central New York will have the chance to see St. John’s in the Dome the following year.”
- Recruiting Roundup: Decision day for Hugh Davis, Syracuse re-offers Jo-El Shaw - May 26, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: 2018 running back Jawhar Jordan commits to Syracuse - May 25, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Marek Dolezaj to Syracuse, Meechi Harris narrows list to nine - May 24, 2017
- 2017 NBA Draft Profile: Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon - May 23, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse’s dream season ends with nightmare against Towson - May 22, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse to play Towson with trip to Final Four on the line - May 19, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army has meant ‘a lot’ to Syracuse basketball alums - May 17, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse rides Evan Molloy past Yale and into NCAA quarterfinals - May 15, 2017
- Syracuse basketball recruit Jordan Tucker commits to Duke - May 13, 2017
- McAnaney: Yale a ‘tough draw’ for Syracuse lacrosse as a two-seeed - May 12, 2017