Syracuse and St. John’s announced they will continue their rivalry despite realignment.
The two teams will play a home-and-home over the next two seasons. SU will travel to New York City to play in Madison Square Garden on Sunday, Dec. 15, 2013 and the Red Storm will visit the Carrier Dome at a later date.
Syracuse and St. John’s have played 86 times overall, with the Orange holding a 49-37 series lead. SU will start playing in the ACC the 2013-14 season. The teams next meet on February 10, in the Carrier Dome.
“There are traditional series that are very important to us that go beyond conference affiliations,” Director of Athletics at Syracuse Daryl Gross said in a release. “One of those is St John’s, which has an obvious place in Syracuse basketball history. As we continue to aggressively secure rivalries that are dear to us, we are pleased to announce the continuation of this great series between two outstanding universities.”
Said Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim: “The rivalry with St. John’s has been one of the strongest for our program. We had some great games when I was in school and the series continued to grow with Coach Carnesecca at St. John’s right up to today with Coach Lavin.
“Playing in Madison Square Garden is always a special event for Syracuse and for our fans in New York City. It will be great that our fans in Central New York will have the chance to see St. John’s in the Dome the following year.”
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016