Syracuse and St. John’s announced they will continue their rivalry despite realignment.
The two teams will play a home-and-home over the next two seasons. SU will travel to New York City to play in Madison Square Garden on Sunday, Dec. 15, 2013 and the Red Storm will visit the Carrier Dome at a later date.
Syracuse and St. John’s have played 86 times overall, with the Orange holding a 49-37 series lead. SU will start playing in the ACC the 2013-14 season. The teams next meet on February 10, in the Carrier Dome.
“There are traditional series that are very important to us that go beyond conference affiliations,” Director of Athletics at Syracuse Daryl Gross said in a release. “One of those is St John’s, which has an obvious place in Syracuse basketball history. As we continue to aggressively secure rivalries that are dear to us, we are pleased to announce the continuation of this great series between two outstanding universities.”
Said Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim: “The rivalry with St. John’s has been one of the strongest for our program. We had some great games when I was in school and the series continued to grow with Coach Carnesecca at St. John’s right up to today with Coach Lavin.
“Playing in Madison Square Garden is always a special event for Syracuse and for our fans in New York City. It will be great that our fans in Central New York will have the chance to see St. John’s in the Dome the following year.”
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: 2016 guard Tyus Battle has ‘great visit’ to Duke - October 28, 2014
- North Carolina State Wolfpack — 2014 Syracuse football scouting report - October 28, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Trevon Duval has ‘pretty good’ visit to Orange Madness - October 27, 2014
- Syracuse 6, Clemson 16 — What we learned - October 27, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 6, Clemson 16 - October 25, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Malachi Richardson among top talent in 8Eye Classic - October 24, 2014
- Philadephia 76ers forward Jerami Grant: I miss ‘everything’ about Syracuse - October 24, 2014
- NCAA investigating Syracuse men’s basketball, football programs - October 24, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Trevon Duval, Nate Pierre-Louis drawing high-major interest - October 20, 2014
- Syracuse 30, Wake Forest 7 — What we learned - October 20, 2014