Item: Determination of the final home game opponent is dependent on the ACC schedule.
Prior to the Syracuse loss at Villanova Saturday at the Wells Fargo Center, Orange Watch caught up with Syracuse senior associate athletic director Herm Frazier, himself a Philadelphia native making one of his many annual returns home, to inquire about the release of the complete 2013 football schedule which is missing one non-conference home game.
Obviously, the ACC will dictate the dates and times of league games with TV partners ESPN and Raycom, expected the second week of February, and it’s because of the unknown conference schedule in September that Frazier is playing a balancing game.
“We’re away from the Dome the first two games (Penn State at MetLife Stadium on Aug. 31 and at Northwestern the next Saturday, Sept. 7), so we have to be careful (in negotiations) and see what the ACC does,” Frazier said in explaining that he doesn’t want new coach Scott Shafer and company to start three straight weeks away from home.
“We don’t want a road game (from the ACC) that third week (Sept. 14), and that has effected who we’ve spoken with about getting a home game.”
Syracuse already has Tulane set for a home game on Sept. 21, week four, and the sense that we got speaking with Frazier is that in order to secure a sixth Dome home game, the university will schedule a FCS opponent if necessary to fill the week three slot if the ACC does not schedule the Orange to play that week.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, Cornell 45 - November 10, 2017
- Orange Watch: Revamped roster for Syracuse basketball will need time to bloom - November 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: Seeking a ‘November to Remember’ for Syracuse Football - October 31, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse picked 10th in the ACC - October 26, 2017
- Orange Watch: Yearning for ACC football division reconfiguration - October 24, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 19, Miami 27 - October 21, 2017
- What Are Syracuse’s Chances Of Making a Bowl Game? - October 18, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football has chance for encore against Top 10 team - October 17, 2017
- Orange Watch: Beating Clemson would accelerate timetable for rebirth of Syracuse football - October 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Pittsburgh 24 - October 7, 2017