Item: Determination of the final home game opponent is dependent on the ACC schedule.
Prior to the Syracuse loss at Villanova Saturday at the Wells Fargo Center, Orange Watch caught up with Syracuse senior associate athletic director Herm Frazier, himself a Philadelphia native making one of his many annual returns home, to inquire about the release of the complete 2013 football schedule which is missing one non-conference home game.
Obviously, the ACC will dictate the dates and times of league games with TV partners ESPN and Raycom, expected the second week of February, and it’s because of the unknown conference schedule in September that Frazier is playing a balancing game.
“We’re away from the Dome the first two games (Penn State at MetLife Stadium on Aug. 31 and at Northwestern the next Saturday, Sept. 7), so we have to be careful (in negotiations) and see what the ACC does,” Frazier said in explaining that he doesn’t want new coach Scott Shafer and company to start three straight weeks away from home.
“We don’t want a road game (from the ACC) that third week (Sept. 14), and that has effected who we’ve spoken with about getting a home game.”
Syracuse already has Tulane set for a home game on Sept. 21, week four, and the sense that we got speaking with Frazier is that in order to secure a sixth Dome home game, the university will schedule a FCS opponent if necessary to fill the week three slot if the ACC does not schedule the Orange to play that week.
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball facing a potential historic losing streak - February 21, 2017
- Orange Watch: Minimum of five games left to decide Syracuse basketball’s postseason - February 16, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 75, Pittsburgh 80 - February 11, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse lacrosse looks to end eight year NCAA title drought - February 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: The Syracuse football connection to the Super Bowl - February 1, 2017
- Orange Watch: Home and away balance, and taxing describes 2017 Syracuse football schedule - January 25, 2017
- Orange Watch: Could it be a winless regular season on the road for Syracuse basketball? - January 24, 2017
- Orange Watch: Road win against North Carolina proving to be challenge for Syracuse - January 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 68, North Carolina 85 - January 16, 2017
- Orange Watch: Jim Boeheim took 11 years to win consecutive NCAA games at Syracuse - January 10, 2017