Item: Determination of the final home game opponent is dependent on the ACC schedule.
Prior to the Syracuse loss at Villanova Saturday at the Wells Fargo Center, Orange Watch caught up with Syracuse senior associate athletic director Herm Frazier, himself a Philadelphia native making one of his many annual returns home, to inquire about the release of the complete 2013 football schedule which is missing one non-conference home game.
Obviously, the ACC will dictate the dates and times of league games with TV partners ESPN and Raycom, expected the second week of February, and it’s because of the unknown conference schedule in September that Frazier is playing a balancing game.
“We’re away from the Dome the first two games (Penn State at MetLife Stadium on Aug. 31 and at Northwestern the next Saturday, Sept. 7), so we have to be careful (in negotiations) and see what the ACC does,” Frazier said in explaining that he doesn’t want new coach Scott Shafer and company to start three straight weeks away from home.
“We don’t want a road game (from the ACC) that third week (Sept. 14), and that has effected who we’ve spoken with about getting a home game.”
Syracuse already has Tulane set for a home game on Sept. 21, week four, and the sense that we got speaking with Frazier is that in order to secure a sixth Dome home game, the university will schedule a FCS opponent if necessary to fill the week three slot if the ACC does not schedule the Orange to play that week.
- Orange Watch: Only victories will earn respect for Syracuse football - July 19, 2017
- Orange Watch: Questions abound for Syracuse heading into ACC Football Kickoff event - July 12, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse finishes ironic 44th in Learfield Director’s Cup standings - July 5, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball non-conference schedule close to finished - June 27, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball has rich history of first round NBA Draft selections - June 20, 2017
- Orange Watch: Another first in legendary career of Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim - June 13, 2017
- Orange Watch: Getting clear idea of future Syracuse football scheduling philosophy - June 6, 2017
- Orange Watch: It’s time to tweak a couple of rules in Division I men’s lacrosse - June 1, 2017
- Orange Watch: New early signing period huge change for Syracuse football recruiting - May 30, 2017
- Orange Watch: A refreshing of the roster for 2017-18 Syracuse basketball - May 25, 2017