Item: Determination of the final home game opponent is dependent on the ACC schedule.
Prior to the Syracuse loss at Villanova Saturday at the Wells Fargo Center, Orange Watch caught up with Syracuse senior associate athletic director Herm Frazier, himself a Philadelphia native making one of his many annual returns home, to inquire about the release of the complete 2013 football schedule which is missing one non-conference home game.
Obviously, the ACC will dictate the dates and times of league games with TV partners ESPN and Raycom, expected the second week of February, and it’s because of the unknown conference schedule in September that Frazier is playing a balancing game.
“We’re away from the Dome the first two games (Penn State at MetLife Stadium on Aug. 31 and at Northwestern the next Saturday, Sept. 7), so we have to be careful (in negotiations) and see what the ACC does,” Frazier said in explaining that he doesn’t want new coach Scott Shafer and company to start three straight weeks away from home.
“We don’t want a road game (from the ACC) that third week (Sept. 14), and that has effected who we’ve spoken with about getting a home game.”
Syracuse already has Tulane set for a home game on Sept. 21, week four, and the sense that we got speaking with Frazier is that in order to secure a sixth Dome home game, the university will schedule a FCS opponent if necessary to fill the week three slot if the ACC does not schedule the Orange to play that week.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 79, UConn 76 - November 26, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 83, Charlotte 70 - November 25, 2015
- Orange Watch: What direction will Syracuse AD Mark Coyle take with new coach? - November 24, 2015
- Orange Watch: Yearning for Syracuse guard Sherman Douglas and the ‘alley oop’ pass - November 17, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 37 - November 14, 2015
- Orange Watch: Despite distractions surrounding future, Syracuse coach Scott Shafer plows ahead - November 11, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 17, Louisville 41 - November 7, 2015
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball is back featuring unique, dual-coach season - November 4, 2015
- Previewing Syracuse v. Florida State with WFLA-FM’s Preston Scott - October 30, 2015
- Orange Watch: Realistically, when will Syracuse football next beat Florida State? - October 27, 2015