Item: Determination of the final home game opponent is dependent on the ACC schedule.
Prior to the Syracuse loss at Villanova Saturday at the Wells Fargo Center, Orange Watch caught up with Syracuse senior associate athletic director Herm Frazier, himself a Philadelphia native making one of his many annual returns home, to inquire about the release of the complete 2013 football schedule which is missing one non-conference home game.
Obviously, the ACC will dictate the dates and times of league games with TV partners ESPN and Raycom, expected the second week of February, and it’s because of the unknown conference schedule in September that Frazier is playing a balancing game.
“We’re away from the Dome the first two games (Penn State at MetLife Stadium on Aug. 31 and at Northwestern the next Saturday, Sept. 7), so we have to be careful (in negotiations) and see what the ACC does,” Frazier said in explaining that he doesn’t want new coach Scott Shafer and company to start three straight weeks away from home.
“We don’t want a road game (from the ACC) that third week (Sept. 14), and that has effected who we’ve spoken with about getting a home game.”
Syracuse already has Tulane set for a home game on Sept. 21, week four, and the sense that we got speaking with Frazier is that in order to secure a sixth Dome home game, the university will schedule a FCS opponent if necessary to fill the week three slot if the ACC does not schedule the Orange to play that week.
- Orange Watch: Look for Carrier Dome renovation plans to be announced by year’s end - October 6, 2015
- Orange Watch: One third complete, Syracuse football season on track for a bowl game - September 29, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, LSU 34 - September 26, 2015
- Orange Watch: The Syracuse-LSU game chance for rare breakthrough victory - September 22, 2015
- Orange Watch: Only winning will return fans to Carrier Dome for Syracuse football - September 15, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 30, Wake Forest 17 - September 12, 2015
- Orange Watch: A youth movement for Syracuse football only one game into the season - September 8, 2015
- Orange Watch: Part II – 2015 Syracuse football game-by-game previews and predictions - August 31, 2015
- Orange Watch: Part I, 2015 Syracuse football game-by-game previews and predictions - August 25, 2015
- Orange Watch: Will Jim Boeheim really coach Syracuse basketball three more seasons? - August 11, 2015