Item: An early look at odds to win the 2014 BCS national championship finds five ACC schools among the 30 in the mix.
First of all, until proven otherwise on the field (Johnny Heisman), someone has to knock off two-time defending champion Alabama, winners of three of the last four titles, and the pre-spring ball favorite at 3-1 odds by the folks at the Vegas sports books to hoist the trophy at the Rose Bowl next Jan 6.
Tied for sixth at 15-1 odds is ACC division foe Florida State, while Dome invader Clemson is right behind at 18-1. Miami (25-1), North Carolina (75-1) and Virginia Tech (100-1) are the other conference schools listed among the top 30, and those schools do not appear on the ‘Cuse schedule this season.
(Future ACC member Louisville is 22-1 to win it all, future quasi-member Notre Dame is listed at 25-1, while Pinstripe Bowl victim West Virginia also made the list at 100-1).
So where does that leave Syracuse football in 2013? Well, besides knowing that the Orange are the most longest of long shots in a national championship discussion, settling on one of six ACC bowl tie-ins would be a good start.
- Orange Watch: Road win against North Carolina proving to be challenge for Syracuse - January 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 68, North Carolina 85 - January 16, 2017
- Orange Watch: Jim Boeheim took 11 years to win consecutive NCAA games at Syracuse - January 10, 2017
- Orange Watch: ACC flexes its bowl game muscles with Syracuse on outside looking in - January 4, 2017
- Orange Watch: Can the Syracuse basketball team salvage its season? - December 27, 2016
- Orange Watch: What would the reaction be if a Syracuse player sat out a bowl game? - December 23, 2016
- Orange Watch: Still hard to figure how Syracuse basketball will fare come ACC play - December 21, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 105, Eastern Michigan 57 - December 19, 2016
- Orange Watch: Pearl Washington and the once fierce Syracuse-Georgetown rivalry - December 13, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 60, Wisconsin 77 - November 29, 2016