Item: An early look at odds to win the 2014 BCS national championship finds five ACC schools among the 30 in the mix.
First of all, until proven otherwise on the field (Johnny Heisman), someone has to knock off two-time defending champion Alabama, winners of three of the last four titles, and the pre-spring ball favorite at 3-1 odds by the folks at the Vegas sports books to hoist the trophy at the Rose Bowl next Jan 6.
Tied for sixth at 15-1 odds is ACC division foe Florida State, while Dome invader Clemson is right behind at 18-1. Miami (25-1), North Carolina (75-1) and Virginia Tech (100-1) are the other conference schools listed among the top 30, and those schools do not appear on the ‘Cuse schedule this season.
(Future ACC member Louisville is 22-1 to win it all, future quasi-member Notre Dame is listed at 25-1, while Pinstripe Bowl victim West Virginia also made the list at 100-1).
So where does that leave Syracuse football in 2013? Well, besides knowing that the Orange are the most longest of long shots in a national championship discussion, settling on one of six ACC bowl tie-ins would be a good start.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 79, UConn 76 - November 26, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 83, Charlotte 70 - November 25, 2015
- Orange Watch: What direction will Syracuse AD Mark Coyle take with new coach? - November 24, 2015
- Orange Watch: Yearning for Syracuse guard Sherman Douglas and the ‘alley oop’ pass - November 17, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 37 - November 14, 2015
- Orange Watch: Despite distractions surrounding future, Syracuse coach Scott Shafer plows ahead - November 11, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 17, Louisville 41 - November 7, 2015
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball is back featuring unique, dual-coach season - November 4, 2015
- Previewing Syracuse v. Florida State with WFLA-FM’s Preston Scott - October 30, 2015
- Orange Watch: Realistically, when will Syracuse football next beat Florida State? - October 27, 2015