Item: An early look at odds to win the 2014 BCS national championship finds five ACC schools among the 30 in the mix.
First of all, until proven otherwise on the field (Johnny Heisman), someone has to knock off two-time defending champion Alabama, winners of three of the last four titles, and the pre-spring ball favorite at 3-1 odds by the folks at the Vegas sports books to hoist the trophy at the Rose Bowl next Jan 6.
Tied for sixth at 15-1 odds is ACC division foe Florida State, while Dome invader Clemson is right behind at 18-1. Miami (25-1), North Carolina (75-1) and Virginia Tech (100-1) are the other conference schools listed among the top 30, and those schools do not appear on the ‘Cuse schedule this season.
(Future ACC member Louisville is 22-1 to win it all, future quasi-member Notre Dame is listed at 25-1, while Pinstripe Bowl victim West Virginia also made the list at 100-1).
So where does that leave Syracuse football in 2013? Well, besides knowing that the Orange are the most longest of long shots in a national championship discussion, settling on one of six ACC bowl tie-ins would be a good start.
- Orange Watch: Look for Carrier Dome renovation plans to be announced by year’s end - October 6, 2015
- Orange Watch: One third complete, Syracuse football season on track for a bowl game - September 29, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, LSU 34 - September 26, 2015
- Orange Watch: The Syracuse-LSU game chance for rare breakthrough victory - September 22, 2015
- Orange Watch: Only winning will return fans to Carrier Dome for Syracuse football - September 15, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 30, Wake Forest 17 - September 12, 2015
- Orange Watch: A youth movement for Syracuse football only one game into the season - September 8, 2015
- Orange Watch: Part II – 2015 Syracuse football game-by-game previews and predictions - August 31, 2015
- Orange Watch: Part I, 2015 Syracuse football game-by-game previews and predictions - August 25, 2015
- Orange Watch: Will Jim Boeheim really coach Syracuse basketball three more seasons? - August 11, 2015