Item: An early look at odds to win the 2014 BCS national championship finds five ACC schools among the 30 in the mix.
First of all, until proven otherwise on the field (Johnny Heisman), someone has to knock off two-time defending champion Alabama, winners of three of the last four titles, and the pre-spring ball favorite at 3-1 odds by the folks at the Vegas sports books to hoist the trophy at the Rose Bowl next Jan 6.
Tied for sixth at 15-1 odds is ACC division foe Florida State, while Dome invader Clemson is right behind at 18-1. Miami (25-1), North Carolina (75-1) and Virginia Tech (100-1) are the other conference schools listed among the top 30, and those schools do not appear on the ‘Cuse schedule this season.
(Future ACC member Louisville is 22-1 to win it all, future quasi-member Notre Dame is listed at 25-1, while Pinstripe Bowl victim West Virginia also made the list at 100-1).
So where does that leave Syracuse football in 2013? Well, besides knowing that the Orange are the most longest of long shots in a national championship discussion, settling on one of six ACC bowl tie-ins would be a good start.
- Orange Watch: Minimum of five games left to decide Syracuse basketball’s postseason - February 16, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 75, Pittsburgh 80 - February 11, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse lacrosse looks to end eight year NCAA title drought - February 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: The Syracuse football connection to the Super Bowl - February 1, 2017
- Orange Watch: Home and away balance, and taxing describes 2017 Syracuse football schedule - January 25, 2017
- Orange Watch: Could it be a winless regular season on the road for Syracuse basketball? - January 24, 2017
- Orange Watch: Road win against North Carolina proving to be challenge for Syracuse - January 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 68, North Carolina 85 - January 16, 2017
- Orange Watch: Jim Boeheim took 11 years to win consecutive NCAA games at Syracuse - January 10, 2017
- Orange Watch: ACC flexes its bowl game muscles with Syracuse on outside looking in - January 4, 2017