Item: Hard to believe in his 37th season, with little left to accomplish, Jim Boeheim’s winning more games than ever.
Four more made free throws. That’s all that separates Syracuse from being undefeated, (a three-point loss to Temple in a game in which the Orange missed 15 from the charity stripe) and likely the number one team in the country heading towards the midway point of the final Big East season.
Monday’s second-straight, last second, nail-biting 57-55 win over Cincinnati to move to an 18-1 start and 6-0 in the Big East came on the one year anniversary of the last conference regular season defeat at Notre Dame.
With the get-back win against the Bearcats in the Dome extending a school record to 35 straight home court victories, it also avenged last year’s Big East Tournament semi-final loss to UC in New York.
Cumulative two-season record against conference foes in all Big East games: 29-2.
We used to always be impressed by the fact that Coach Boeheim was at the time the fastest coach to reach 100 victories, coming after his first four seasons (100-18), something that only 12 other Division I coaches have accomplished.
But in his last four seasons including games through Jan. 21, Boeheim already has 109 victories.
Sure, the regular season and post-season now add up to more games than back in the 70s, but after 33 years in as closely competitive a league as the Big East and nationally with the recent “one-and-done” rules to play professionally leveling the landscape, that’s most impressive.
- Orange Watch: If Syracuse football can get to a bowl game, there are plenty of destinations - July 26, 2017
- Orange Watch: Only victories will earn respect for Syracuse football - July 19, 2017
- Orange Watch: Questions abound for Syracuse heading into ACC Football Kickoff event - July 12, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse finishes ironic 44th in Learfield Director’s Cup standings - July 5, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball non-conference schedule close to finished - June 27, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball has rich history of first round NBA Draft selections - June 20, 2017
- Orange Watch: Another first in legendary career of Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim - June 13, 2017
- Orange Watch: Getting clear idea of future Syracuse football scheduling philosophy - June 6, 2017
- Orange Watch: It’s time to tweak a couple of rules in Division I men’s lacrosse - June 1, 2017
- Orange Watch: New early signing period huge change for Syracuse football recruiting - May 30, 2017