Item: Hard to believe in his 37th season, with little left to accomplish, Jim Boeheim’s winning more games than ever.
Four more made free throws. That’s all that separates Syracuse from being undefeated, (a three-point loss to Temple in a game in which the Orange missed 15 from the charity stripe) and likely the number one team in the country heading towards the midway point of the final Big East season.
Monday’s second-straight, last second, nail-biting 57-55 win over Cincinnati to move to an 18-1 start and 6-0 in the Big East came on the one year anniversary of the last conference regular season defeat at Notre Dame.
With the get-back win against the Bearcats in the Dome extending a school record to 35 straight home court victories, it also avenged last year’s Big East Tournament semi-final loss to UC in New York.
Cumulative two-season record against conference foes in all Big East games: 29-2.
We used to always be impressed by the fact that Coach Boeheim was at the time the fastest coach to reach 100 victories, coming after his first four seasons (100-18), something that only 12 other Division I coaches have accomplished.
But in his last four seasons including games through Jan. 21, Boeheim already has 109 victories.
Sure, the regular season and post-season now add up to more games than back in the 70s, but after 33 years in as closely competitive a league as the Big East and nationally with the recent “one-and-done” rules to play professionally leveling the landscape, that’s most impressive.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 79, UConn 76 - November 26, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 83, Charlotte 70 - November 25, 2015
- Orange Watch: What direction will Syracuse AD Mark Coyle take with new coach? - November 24, 2015
- Orange Watch: Yearning for Syracuse guard Sherman Douglas and the ‘alley oop’ pass - November 17, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 37 - November 14, 2015
- Orange Watch: Despite distractions surrounding future, Syracuse coach Scott Shafer plows ahead - November 11, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 17, Louisville 41 - November 7, 2015
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball is back featuring unique, dual-coach season - November 4, 2015
- Previewing Syracuse v. Florida State with WFLA-FM’s Preston Scott - October 30, 2015
- Orange Watch: Realistically, when will Syracuse football next beat Florida State? - October 27, 2015