Item: Hard to believe in his 37th season, with little left to accomplish, Jim Boeheim’s winning more games than ever.
Four more made free throws. That’s all that separates Syracuse from being undefeated, (a three-point loss to Temple in a game in which the Orange missed 15 from the charity stripe) and likely the number one team in the country heading towards the midway point of the final Big East season.
Monday’s second-straight, last second, nail-biting 57-55 win over Cincinnati to move to an 18-1 start and 6-0 in the Big East came on the one year anniversary of the last conference regular season defeat at Notre Dame.
With the get-back win against the Bearcats in the Dome extending a school record to 35 straight home court victories, it also avenged last year’s Big East Tournament semi-final loss to UC in New York.
Cumulative two-season record against conference foes in all Big East games: 29-2.
We used to always be impressed by the fact that Coach Boeheim was at the time the fastest coach to reach 100 victories, coming after his first four seasons (100-18), something that only 12 other Division I coaches have accomplished.
But in his last four seasons including games through Jan. 21, Boeheim already has 109 victories.
Sure, the regular season and post-season now add up to more games than back in the 70s, but after 33 years in as closely competitive a league as the Big East and nationally with the recent “one-and-done” rules to play professionally leveling the landscape, that’s most impressive.
- Orange Watch: Snapshot of Syracuse football, basketball, lacrosse as summer approaches - May 5, 2015
- Orange Watch: After winning ACC title, Syracuse lacrosse eyes No. 1 NCAA Tournament seed - April 27, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 15, Duke 14 - April 26, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 9, North Carolina 8 - April 24, 2015
- Orange Watch: Why not move the ACC Basketball Tournament up a week permanently? - April 20, 2015
- Orange Watch: Syracuse lacrosse can still go deep in NCAA Tournament - April 13, 2015
- Orange Watch: Hard to get a solid early grasp of 2015 Syracuse football - April 7, 2015
- Orange Watch Exclusive: Syracuse basketball coach Jim Boeheim to retire in September 2016 - April 1, 2015
- Orange Watch: Syracuse’s Carrier Dome is not a dump, it is a building that’s simply outdated - March 30, 2015
- Orange Watch: After NCAA black eye, Syracuse to shine hosting NCAA regional - March 24, 2015