After defeating No. 1 Louisville on Saturday, the Orange return to the Carrier Dome to play Cincinnati on Monday. Here’s a scouting report for the game:
WRIGHT STILL DAY-TO-DAY: Point guard Cashmere Wright missed Saturday’s game against Marquette with a sprained right knee after he hurt it early in the second half of Cincinnati’s 75-70 win over DePaul last week. Wright is the team’s second leading scorer at 15.1 ppg and leads the team in assists at 3.7 apg. It’s not clear whether he’ll return in time for the Bearcats’ matchup against Syracuse, but for one night, Sean Kilpatrick more than made up for his absence.
Kilpatrick scored 36 points, with seven of them coming in overtime, as the Bearcats ended a three-game home losing streak with a 71-69 win over Marquette in overtime. His layup with 4.3 seconds left proved to be the winning basket of the game. Not bad for the Bearcats’ leading scorer, who was just 12 for 40 from downtown over his last six games. After the game, coach Mick Cronin said Wright was day-to-day and would not return until he was “100 percent.”
SCOUTING THE BEARCATS: The aforementioned Kilpatrick is tops on the team with 18.3 ppg. Aside from Wright, JaQuon Parker averages 10.9 points and shoots 39 percent from downtown. While the Bearcats are a man-to-man team, Cincinnati showed some zone against Marquette and actually held the Golden Eagles to just 13 points at halftime.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: The Orange lead the all-time series 7-3, though the Bearcats won the last game between the teams. Cincinnati defeated the Orange 71-68 at Madison Square Garden in the Big East tournament on March 9, 2012.
GAME INFORMATION: Monday, January 21 at 3:30 p.m. at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY. TV: ESPN.
- McAnaney: Days of Syracuse lacrosse as lock for Final Four are over - May 26, 2016
- 2016 NBA Draft Profile: Syracuse G Malachi Richardson - May 25, 2016
- Former punter Brendan Carney talks Syracuse football, Riley Dixon, marathoning - May 18, 2016
- Second half rally by Syracuse lacrosse enough to silence Albany - May 16, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse, seeded No. 8 in the NCAA Tournament, will host Albany - May 9, 2016
- Colgate Raiders — 2016 Syracuse lacrosse scouting report - May 5, 2016
- What will Syracuse’s starting lineup look like in the 2016-17 season? - May 5, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse in final three for Taurean Thompson - May 5, 2016
- Belbey looking to add one more player to Syracuse alumni team ‘Boeheim’s Army’ - May 4, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 wing Jordan Tucker calls visit to Syracuse ‘great’ - May 4, 2016