After defeating No. 1 Louisville on Saturday, the Orange return to the Carrier Dome to play Cincinnati on Monday. Here’s a scouting report for the game:
WRIGHT STILL DAY-TO-DAY: Point guard Cashmere Wright missed Saturday’s game against Marquette with a sprained right knee after he hurt it early in the second half of Cincinnati’s 75-70 win over DePaul last week. Wright is the team’s second leading scorer at 15.1 ppg and leads the team in assists at 3.7 apg. It’s not clear whether he’ll return in time for the Bearcats’ matchup against Syracuse, but for one night, Sean Kilpatrick more than made up for his absence.
Kilpatrick scored 36 points, with seven of them coming in overtime, as the Bearcats ended a three-game home losing streak with a 71-69 win over Marquette in overtime. His layup with 4.3 seconds left proved to be the winning basket of the game. Not bad for the Bearcats’ leading scorer, who was just 12 for 40 from downtown over his last six games. After the game, coach Mick Cronin said Wright was day-to-day and would not return until he was “100 percent.”
SCOUTING THE BEARCATS: The aforementioned Kilpatrick is tops on the team with 18.3 ppg. Aside from Wright, JaQuon Parker averages 10.9 points and shoots 39 percent from downtown. While the Bearcats are a man-to-man team, Cincinnati showed some zone against Marquette and actually held the Golden Eagles to just 13 points at halftime.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: The Orange lead the all-time series 7-3, though the Bearcats won the last game between the teams. Cincinnati defeated the Orange 71-68 at Madison Square Garden in the Big East tournament on March 9, 2012.
GAME INFORMATION: Monday, January 21 at 3:30 p.m. at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY. TV: ESPN.
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers Lamont Wade, Ben Mason, Tyshon Fogg - February 10, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Elite 2017 prospect Hamidou Diallo to visit Syracuse - February 9, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse extends offer to Donovan Jeter - February 8, 2016
- Bailey: Syracuse fans ‘should be happy’ with incoming 2016 football class - February 5, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers Joel Honigford, Jairus Grissom, Izayah Green-May, JaVont’e Richardson - February 5, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Scout ranks Syracuse 43rd in average class stars - February 4, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse adds impressive class on 2016 National Signing Day - February 3, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: DeVaughn Cooper to choose between Syracuse, Arizona, Arizona State - February 3, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse loses out on Stewart Reese, Josh White - February 2, 2016
- Frank Howard dazzles as Syracuse rallies to defeat Georgia Tech - February 1, 2016