After defeating No. 1 Louisville on Saturday, the Orange return to the Carrier Dome to play Cincinnati on Monday. Here’s a scouting report for the game:
WRIGHT STILL DAY-TO-DAY: Point guard Cashmere Wright missed Saturday’s game against Marquette with a sprained right knee after he hurt it early in the second half of Cincinnati’s 75-70 win over DePaul last week. Wright is the team’s second leading scorer at 15.1 ppg and leads the team in assists at 3.7 apg. It’s not clear whether he’ll return in time for the Bearcats’ matchup against Syracuse, but for one night, Sean Kilpatrick more than made up for his absence.
Kilpatrick scored 36 points, with seven of them coming in overtime, as the Bearcats ended a three-game home losing streak with a 71-69 win over Marquette in overtime. His layup with 4.3 seconds left proved to be the winning basket of the game. Not bad for the Bearcats’ leading scorer, who was just 12 for 40 from downtown over his last six games. After the game, coach Mick Cronin said Wright was day-to-day and would not return until he was “100 percent.”
SCOUTING THE BEARCATS: The aforementioned Kilpatrick is tops on the team with 18.3 ppg. Aside from Wright, JaQuon Parker averages 10.9 points and shoots 39 percent from downtown. While the Bearcats are a man-to-man team, Cincinnati showed some zone against Marquette and actually held the Golden Eagles to just 13 points at halftime.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: The Orange lead the all-time series 7-3, though the Bearcats won the last game between the teams. Cincinnati defeated the Orange 71-68 at Madison Square Garden in the Big East tournament on March 9, 2012.
GAME INFORMATION: Monday, January 21 at 3:30 p.m. at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY. TV: ESPN.
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Mike Hopkins to leave Syracuse, take over at Washington - March 19, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Chris Carlson on the NIT, 2017 basketball recruiting, Greensboro - March 17, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, UNC Greensboro 77 - March 15, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse basketball left out of NCAA Tournament - March 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse surges, sputters, then hangs on for win against St. John’s - March 12, 2017
- Jim Boeheim pleads case for Syracuse after ACC Tournament loss - March 9, 2017
- Syracuse coach says there’s ‘no value’ in playing ACC Tournament in Greensboro - March 8, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 57, Miami 62 - March 8, 2017