A quick take on Syracuse’s 70-68 win over Louisville on Saturday afternoon:
WHAT HAPPENED: Michael Carter-Williams had struggles against Louisville’s pressure defense, but had a steal late in the game and raced down the court for a dunk to give Syracuse a 69-68 lead. He added another free throw with 13 seconds left and Louisville turned the ball over on the final possession of the game as the Orange upset the No. 1 team in the country. Syracuse’s defense held the Cardinals scoreless in the final 1:58, forcing three turnovers after the Cardinals had lead for the majority of the game.
ANALYSIS: This game was billed as a battle of two of the elite defenses in college basketball, and lived up to its preview. Louisville had come in averaging more than 19 turnovers a game on defense with a vicious press, and forced the Orange to turn the ball over 15 times (MCW had 8 of them). Meanwhile, SU was tops in the Big East, allowing opponents to shoot just 35 percent from the field. The Cardinals shot 40 percent from the field, were 7-20 from downtown and were 65 percent from the line. It was also Syracuse’s second game, and first true test, without sixth man James Southerland. Jerami Grant picked up the playing time for the second straight game, and responded with 10 points and 5 rebounds in 35 minutes.
HERO: Triche started with hitting his first six shots of the game, single-handedly keeping the Orange within striking distance while SU struggled in the first half. He had 18 in the first half and finished with 23. Carter-Williams had the 8 turnovers but hit several big shots in the final minutes and finished with 16 points. Aside from the steal for the breakaway dunk, he also hit a 3-pointer that gave Syracuse a 64-62 lead with 5:30 left, SU’s first lead since 18-16 earlier in the first half. Russ Smith had 25 to lead the Cardinals.
ZERO: Peyton Siva had another off game against the Orange, shooting 1-9 from the field, 1-7 from downtown, for 3 points.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse returns home to play Cincinnati on Monday.
- Boston College Eagles — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - July 22, 2016
- Instant Juice: Boeheim’s Army 84, The Untouchables 91 - July 21, 2016
- Steven Clark — Meet the 2016 Syracuse Football team - July 21, 2016
- How will Syracuse G Malachi Richardson do with the Sacramento Kings? - July 20, 2016
- Dontae Strickland — Meet the 2016 Syracuse Football team - July 15, 2016
- Former Syracuse LB Jake Flaherty: ‘It’s an exciting time for the program’ - July 14, 2016
- Virginia Tech Hokies — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - July 13, 2016
- Three takeaways from John Wildhack’s introductory press conference at Syracuse - July 12, 2016
- Ervin Philips — Meet the 2016 Syracuse Football team - July 7, 2016
- Wake Forest Demon Deacons — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - July 6, 2016