A quick take on Syracuse’s 70-68 win over Louisville on Saturday afternoon:
WHAT HAPPENED: Michael Carter-Williams had struggles against Louisville’s pressure defense, but had a steal late in the game and raced down the court for a dunk to give Syracuse a 69-68 lead. He added another free throw with 13 seconds left and Louisville turned the ball over on the final possession of the game as the Orange upset the No. 1 team in the country. Syracuse’s defense held the Cardinals scoreless in the final 1:58, forcing three turnovers after the Cardinals had lead for the majority of the game.
ANALYSIS: This game was billed as a battle of two of the elite defenses in college basketball, and lived up to its preview. Louisville had come in averaging more than 19 turnovers a game on defense with a vicious press, and forced the Orange to turn the ball over 15 times (MCW had 8 of them). Meanwhile, SU was tops in the Big East, allowing opponents to shoot just 35 percent from the field. The Cardinals shot 40 percent from the field, were 7-20 from downtown and were 65 percent from the line. It was also Syracuse’s second game, and first true test, without sixth man James Southerland. Jerami Grant picked up the playing time for the second straight game, and responded with 10 points and 5 rebounds in 35 minutes.
HERO: Triche started with hitting his first six shots of the game, single-handedly keeping the Orange within striking distance while SU struggled in the first half. He had 18 in the first half and finished with 23. Carter-Williams had the 8 turnovers but hit several big shots in the final minutes and finished with 16 points. Aside from the steal for the breakaway dunk, he also hit a 3-pointer that gave Syracuse a 64-62 lead with 5:30 left, SU’s first lead since 18-16 earlier in the first half. Russ Smith had 25 to lead the Cardinals.
ZERO: Peyton Siva had another off game against the Orange, shooting 1-9 from the field, 1-7 from downtown, for 3 points.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse returns home to play Cincinnati on Monday.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, North Florida 71 - December 3, 2016
- Two early season losses could be bad harbinger for Syracuse basketball - December 1, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 61, Pittsburgh 76 - November 26, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 101, South Carolina State 59 - November 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands commitment from Bourama Sidibe - November 22, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Monmouth 50 - November 18, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Quade Green between Syracuse, Kentucky; Lonnie Walker to Miami - November 17, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 Syracuse target Bourama Sidibe to announce Monday - November 16, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, Holy Cross 46 - November 15, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Oshae Brissett commits as Quade Green visits - November 14, 2016