A quick take on Syracuse’s 70-68 win over Louisville on Saturday afternoon:
WHAT HAPPENED: Michael Carter-Williams had struggles against Louisville’s pressure defense, but had a steal late in the game and raced down the court for a dunk to give Syracuse a 69-68 lead. He added another free throw with 13 seconds left and Louisville turned the ball over on the final possession of the game as the Orange upset the No. 1 team in the country. Syracuse’s defense held the Cardinals scoreless in the final 1:58, forcing three turnovers after the Cardinals had lead for the majority of the game.
ANALYSIS: This game was billed as a battle of two of the elite defenses in college basketball, and lived up to its preview. Louisville had come in averaging more than 19 turnovers a game on defense with a vicious press, and forced the Orange to turn the ball over 15 times (MCW had 8 of them). Meanwhile, SU was tops in the Big East, allowing opponents to shoot just 35 percent from the field. The Cardinals shot 40 percent from the field, were 7-20 from downtown and were 65 percent from the line. It was also Syracuse’s second game, and first true test, without sixth man James Southerland. Jerami Grant picked up the playing time for the second straight game, and responded with 10 points and 5 rebounds in 35 minutes.
HERO: Triche started with hitting his first six shots of the game, single-handedly keeping the Orange within striking distance while SU struggled in the first half. He had 18 in the first half and finished with 23. Carter-Williams had the 8 turnovers but hit several big shots in the final minutes and finished with 16 points. Aside from the steal for the breakaway dunk, he also hit a 3-pointer that gave Syracuse a 64-62 lead with 5:30 left, SU’s first lead since 18-16 earlier in the first half. Russ Smith had 25 to lead the Cardinals.
ZERO: Peyton Siva had another off game against the Orange, shooting 1-9 from the field, 1-7 from downtown, for 3 points.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse returns home to play Cincinnati on Monday.
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Trevon Duval, Nate Pierre-Louis drawing high-major interest - October 20, 2014
- Syracuse 30, Wake Forest 7 — What we learned - October 20, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 30, Wake Forest 7 - October 18, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Large group of recruits to attend Orange Madness - October 17, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: 2016 wing VJ King taking time with recruitment - October 16, 2014
- SNY.tv Syracuse podcast: Can football make a bowl; Previewing 2014-15 hoops - October 15, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Tyus Battle has ‘great visit’ at SU - October 14, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Trevon Duval, Jordan Tucker will be at Orange Madness - October 13, 2014
- Syracuse 20, Florida State 38 — What we learned - October 13, 2014
- Florida State Seminoles — 2014 Syracuse football scouting report - October 10, 2014