Syracuse confirmed several coaching moves on Thursday, including a new offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.
SU named George McDonald the new offensive coordinator and Tim Lester quarterbacks coach, confirming reports from earlier in the week. The Orange also announced receivers coach Rob Moore and defensive line coach Tim Daoust will remain on staff as the Buffalo Bills confirmed John Anselmo was joining Doug Marrone in Buffalo.
McDonald was previously the receivers coach at Arkansas and was at Miami in the same position from 2011-12. Here is a quote from the release:
“When I worked with the Browns in Cleveland I spoke often with Jim Brown. He always told me what a special place this is. I am excited to be here to continue the tradition of Syracuse Football and to continue to build what Coach Marrone, Coach Shafer and Coach Hackett have started,” McDonald said. “Our offense will be physical, fundamentally sound, and aggressive. We will strive to be balanced by getting the ball to the best playmakers, make the defense defend the whole field and play with a great tempo.”
Lester was the head coach of Division III Elmhurst for five years before coming to Syracuse. Here is the statement from Lester:
“I am extremely excited and honored to have the opportunity to coach within a football program with such great tradition, from Jim Brown to Coach Mac to Donovan McNabb, as it enters the ACC,” said Lester, who, like McNabb, is a native of the Chicago area. “Our focus will be for our quarterbacks to be exciting to watch as we work with them to play with their arm and with their feet, and to make good decisions. Our mission is to put a product on the field that will be exciting for all Syracuse fans watch.”
Seems like Western Michigan has invaded Central New York. McDonald and Shafer coached together at Western Michigan, while Lester finished his career as Western Michigan’s all-time leading passer and set 17 school records.
- Syracuse commit Malachi Richardson named McDonald’s All-American — Cuse Clicks - January 29, 2015
- Maryland jumps in Jordan Tucker sweepstakes — Cuse Clicks - January 28, 2015
- Kassoum Yakwe takes in St. John’s game at Madison Square Garden — Cuse Clicks - January 27, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 83, North Carolina 93 - January 26, 2015
- Syracuse recruit Thomas Bryant has not set any visits yet — Cuse Clicks - January 26, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 62, Miami 66 - January 24, 2015
- What effect will NCAA investigation have on Syracuse’s recruitment of Thomas Bryant? - January 23, 2015
- Syracuse commit Malachi Richardson pours in 34 for Iron Mikes — Cuse Clicks - January 23, 2015
- Moustapha Diagne notches 16 points, rebounds as Pope John avoids upset — Cuse Clicks - January 22, 2015
- VJ King planning visits to Kentucky, Louisville — Cuse Clicks - January 21, 2015