Syracuse confirmed several coaching moves on Thursday, including a new offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.
SU named George McDonald the new offensive coordinator and Tim Lester quarterbacks coach, confirming reports from earlier in the week. The Orange also announced receivers coach Rob Moore and defensive line coach Tim Daoust will remain on staff as the Buffalo Bills confirmed John Anselmo was joining Doug Marrone in Buffalo.
McDonald was previously the receivers coach at Arkansas and was at Miami in the same position from 2011-12. Here is a quote from the release:
“When I worked with the Browns in Cleveland I spoke often with Jim Brown. He always told me what a special place this is. I am excited to be here to continue the tradition of Syracuse Football and to continue to build what Coach Marrone, Coach Shafer and Coach Hackett have started,” McDonald said. “Our offense will be physical, fundamentally sound, and aggressive. We will strive to be balanced by getting the ball to the best playmakers, make the defense defend the whole field and play with a great tempo.”
Lester was the head coach of Division III Elmhurst for five years before coming to Syracuse. Here is the statement from Lester:
“I am extremely excited and honored to have the opportunity to coach within a football program with such great tradition, from Jim Brown to Coach Mac to Donovan McNabb, as it enters the ACC,” said Lester, who, like McNabb, is a native of the Chicago area. “Our focus will be for our quarterbacks to be exciting to watch as we work with them to play with their arm and with their feet, and to make good decisions. Our mission is to put a product on the field that will be exciting for all Syracuse fans watch.”
Seems like Western Michigan has invaded Central New York. McDonald and Shafer coached together at Western Michigan, while Lester finished his career as Western Michigan’s all-time leading passer and set 17 school records.
- Michael Gbinije credits Syracuse coaching staff for transition to NBA - June 24, 2016
- Syracuse G Malachi Richardson: Being drafted was like ‘animal’ lifted off back - June 24, 2016
- Former Syracuse forward Michael Gbinije drafted by Detroit Pistons - June 23, 2016
- Former Syracuse forward Malachi Richardson drafted by Sacramento Kings - June 23, 2016
- Zack Mahoney — Meet the 2016 Syracuse Football team - June 23, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 Florida WR Joshua Palmer commits to Syracuse - June 23, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands commitment from 2017 WR Nykein Johnson - June 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2017 WR Nykeim Johnson - June 21, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - June 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse football adds De’Jon Wilson, Tyrell Richards - June 20, 2016