Scott Shafer will be the next head football coach of Syracuse University, the school announced Wednesday morning.
“I look forward to representing the hard-nosed city of Syracuse and the great state of New York as the head coach of Syracuse University,” Shafer said in a release. “We will go to work every day to put a quality product on the field as we storm our way into the Atlantic Coast Conference. We are very motivated to start preparing for the 2013 campaign with our current team and incoming student-athletes.”
Shafer had been SU’s defensive coordinator since 2009. In 2010, the defense was No. 7 in the nation, and gave up just 19.3 points per game.
“Scott Shafer is an experienced, intelligent, motivating coach who has dedicated his life to coaching and developing college student-athletes,” Syracuse athletics director Daryl Gross said. “I can’t think of a coach in America who is more deserving of having an opportunity to be a head coach.”
Shafer takes over for Doug Marrone, who accepted the Buffalo Bills head coaching position on Sunday. But he’ll have to do so without offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett, who followed Marrone to Buffalo.
Multiple reports from ESPN and CBSSports.com confirmed the hiring on Monday night. Bruce Feldman was the first to report the story.
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Mike Hopkins to leave Syracuse, take over at Washington - March 19, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Chris Carlson on the NIT, 2017 basketball recruiting, Greensboro - March 17, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, UNC Greensboro 77 - March 15, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse basketball left out of NCAA Tournament - March 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse surges, sputters, then hangs on for win against St. John’s - March 12, 2017
- Jim Boeheim pleads case for Syracuse after ACC Tournament loss - March 9, 2017
- Syracuse coach says there’s ‘no value’ in playing ACC Tournament in Greensboro - March 8, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 57, Miami 62 - March 8, 2017