Scott Shafer will be the next head football coach of Syracuse University, the school announced Wednesday morning.
“I look forward to representing the hard-nosed city of Syracuse and the great state of New York as the head coach of Syracuse University,” Shafer said in a release. “We will go to work every day to put a quality product on the field as we storm our way into the Atlantic Coast Conference. We are very motivated to start preparing for the 2013 campaign with our current team and incoming student-athletes.”
Shafer had been SU’s defensive coordinator since 2009. In 2010, the defense was No. 7 in the nation, and gave up just 19.3 points per game.
“Scott Shafer is an experienced, intelligent, motivating coach who has dedicated his life to coaching and developing college student-athletes,” Syracuse athletics director Daryl Gross said. “I can’t think of a coach in America who is more deserving of having an opportunity to be a head coach.”
Shafer takes over for Doug Marrone, who accepted the Buffalo Bills head coaching position on Sunday. But he’ll have to do so without offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett, who followed Marrone to Buffalo.
Multiple reports from ESPN and CBSSports.com confirmed the hiring on Monday night. Bruce Feldman was the first to report the story.
- Syracuse among nine offers for Georgia RB Darius Stubbs — Cuse Clicks - May 26, 2015
- Dontae Strickland says he’s qualified to attend Syracuse — Cuse Clicks - May 22, 2015
- Kentucky, Oregon working hardest on Jamal Murray — Cuse Clicks - May 20, 2015
- Kurt Gavin plans to visit Syracuse after receiving offer — Cuse Clicks - May 18, 2015
- Syracuse lacrosse season ends against Johns Hopkins - May 18, 2015
- Syracuse lacrosse meets familiar foe Johns Hopkins in NCAA Tournament - May 15, 2015
- Dwayne Haskins, Jr. will announce college decision Friday — Cuse Clicks - May 14, 2015
- 2016 5-star guard Tyus Battle spurns Syracuse, selects Michigan — Cuse Clicks - May 12, 2015
- Syracuse lacrosse dominates in NCAA Tournament win over Marist - May 11, 2015
- Syracuse lacrosse opens 2015 NCAA Tournament against Marist - May 8, 2015