Scott Shafer will be the next head football coach of Syracuse University, the school announced Wednesday morning.
“I look forward to representing the hard-nosed city of Syracuse and the great state of New York as the head coach of Syracuse University,” Shafer said in a release. “We will go to work every day to put a quality product on the field as we storm our way into the Atlantic Coast Conference. We are very motivated to start preparing for the 2013 campaign with our current team and incoming student-athletes.”
Shafer had been SU’s defensive coordinator since 2009. In 2010, the defense was No. 7 in the nation, and gave up just 19.3 points per game.
“Scott Shafer is an experienced, intelligent, motivating coach who has dedicated his life to coaching and developing college student-athletes,” Syracuse athletics director Daryl Gross said. “I can’t think of a coach in America who is more deserving of having an opportunity to be a head coach.”
Shafer takes over for Doug Marrone, who accepted the Buffalo Bills head coaching position on Sunday. But he’ll have to do so without offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett, who followed Marrone to Buffalo.
Multiple reports from ESPN and CBSSports.com confirmed the hiring on Monday night. Bruce Feldman was the first to report the story.
- Bailey: Syracuse fans ‘should be happy’ with incoming 2016 football class - February 5, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers Joel Honigford, Jairus Grissom, Izayah Green-May, JaVont’e Richardson - February 5, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Scout ranks Syracuse 43rd in average class stars - February 4, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse adds impressive class on 2016 National Signing Day - February 3, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: DeVaughn Cooper to choose between Syracuse, Arizona, Arizona State - February 3, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse loses out on Stewart Reese, Josh White - February 2, 2016
- Frank Howard dazzles as Syracuse rallies to defeat Georgia Tech - February 1, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Adrian Killins visits Syracuse, sets decision date - February 1, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 60, Georgia Tech 57 - January 30, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse, FSU, Mississippi State in running for elite OL Stewart Reese - January 29, 2016