Scott Shafer will be the next head football coach of Syracuse University, the school announced Wednesday morning.
“I look forward to representing the hard-nosed city of Syracuse and the great state of New York as the head coach of Syracuse University,” Shafer said in a release. “We will go to work every day to put a quality product on the field as we storm our way into the Atlantic Coast Conference. We are very motivated to start preparing for the 2013 campaign with our current team and incoming student-athletes.”
Shafer had been SU’s defensive coordinator since 2009. In 2010, the defense was No. 7 in the nation, and gave up just 19.3 points per game.
“Scott Shafer is an experienced, intelligent, motivating coach who has dedicated his life to coaching and developing college student-athletes,” Syracuse athletics director Daryl Gross said. “I can’t think of a coach in America who is more deserving of having an opportunity to be a head coach.”
Shafer takes over for Doug Marrone, who accepted the Buffalo Bills head coaching position on Sunday. But he’ll have to do so without offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett, who followed Marrone to Buffalo.
Multiple reports from ESPN and CBSSports.com confirmed the hiring on Monday night. Bruce Feldman was the first to report the story.
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016