Syracuse will travel to Providence to take on the Friars on Wednesday. Here’s a scouting report for the game:
MISSING A FULL ROSTER: Providence head coach Ed Cooley had to wait most of the non-conference season before getting his entire roster together. He was without Kris Dunn, who was recovering from off-season shoulder surgery. Sidiki Johnson had to sit out the the fall semester because of NCAA transfer rules. Vincent Council missed extended time with a hamstring injury. It came to a head when Bryce Cotton sat out in a loss to Brown on Dec. 28 with a sore knee. Afterward, Cooley called his team “soft” and lamented the lack of chemistry. Things have only gotten worse, as the team is off to an 0-2 start in Big East play, and is currently 8-6.
SCOUTING THE FRIARS: Cotton leads the team in scoring at 21.3 points per game, while shooting 41 percent from downtown. Since Council’s return from his injury, he’s been averaging 8.8 points and 5.5 rebounds. Meanwhile, the 6-9 Johnson has played five games this season as he slowly returns to game shape. Last year with Arizona, he only played seven minutes in three games before making the decision to transfer.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: The Orange lead the series 46-10. The last time Syracuse lost to the Friars was in 2009. Syracuse won the last matchup between these two teams on Jan. 14, 2012, 78-55. Scoop Jardine’s 10 points and 9 assists led the way.
GAME INFORMATION: Game time is 7 p.m. at the Providence Civic Center/Dunkin Donuts Center. TV: Big East Network, SNY, Time Warner Cable, MASN, Cox Sports, ESPN Full Court, and ESPN3 (online subject to blackout).
- Dontae Strickland says he’s qualified to attend Syracuse — Cuse Clicks - May 22, 2015
- Kentucky, Oregon working hardest on Jamal Murray — Cuse Clicks - May 20, 2015
- Kurt Gavin plans to visit Syracuse after receiving offer — Cuse Clicks - May 18, 2015
- Syracuse lacrosse season ends against Johns Hopkins - May 18, 2015
- Syracuse lacrosse meets familiar foe Johns Hopkins in NCAA Tournament - May 15, 2015
- Dwayne Haskins, Jr. will announce college decision Friday — Cuse Clicks - May 14, 2015
- 2016 5-star guard Tyus Battle spurns Syracuse, selects Michigan — Cuse Clicks - May 12, 2015
- Syracuse lacrosse dominates in NCAA Tournament win over Marist - May 11, 2015
- Syracuse lacrosse opens 2015 NCAA Tournament against Marist - May 8, 2015
- Syracuse among top five for 2016 guard Alterique Gilbert — Cuse Clicks - May 7, 2015