Syracuse will travel to Providence to take on the Friars on Wednesday. Here’s a scouting report for the game:
MISSING A FULL ROSTER: Providence head coach Ed Cooley had to wait most of the non-conference season before getting his entire roster together. He was without Kris Dunn, who was recovering from off-season shoulder surgery. Sidiki Johnson had to sit out the the fall semester because of NCAA transfer rules. Vincent Council missed extended time with a hamstring injury. It came to a head when Bryce Cotton sat out in a loss to Brown on Dec. 28 with a sore knee. Afterward, Cooley called his team “soft” and lamented the lack of chemistry. Things have only gotten worse, as the team is off to an 0-2 start in Big East play, and is currently 8-6.
SCOUTING THE FRIARS: Cotton leads the team in scoring at 21.3 points per game, while shooting 41 percent from downtown. Since Council’s return from his injury, he’s been averaging 8.8 points and 5.5 rebounds. Meanwhile, the 6-9 Johnson has played five games this season as he slowly returns to game shape. Last year with Arizona, he only played seven minutes in three games before making the decision to transfer.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: The Orange lead the series 46-10. The last time Syracuse lost to the Friars was in 2009. Syracuse won the last matchup between these two teams on Jan. 14, 2012, 78-55. Scoop Jardine’s 10 points and 9 assists led the way.
GAME INFORMATION: Game time is 7 p.m. at the Providence Civic Center/Dunkin Donuts Center. TV: Big East Network, SNY, Time Warner Cable, MASN, Cox Sports, ESPN Full Court, and ESPN3 (online subject to blackout).
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Mike Hopkins to leave Syracuse, take over at Washington - March 19, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Chris Carlson on the NIT, 2017 basketball recruiting, Greensboro - March 17, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, UNC Greensboro 77 - March 15, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse basketball left out of NCAA Tournament - March 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse surges, sputters, then hangs on for win against St. John’s - March 12, 2017
- Jim Boeheim pleads case for Syracuse after ACC Tournament loss - March 9, 2017
- Syracuse coach says there’s ‘no value’ in playing ACC Tournament in Greensboro - March 8, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 57, Miami 62 - March 8, 2017