Syracuse will travel to Providence to take on the Friars on Wednesday. Here’s a scouting report for the game:
MISSING A FULL ROSTER: Providence head coach Ed Cooley had to wait most of the non-conference season before getting his entire roster together. He was without Kris Dunn, who was recovering from off-season shoulder surgery. Sidiki Johnson had to sit out the the fall semester because of NCAA transfer rules. Vincent Council missed extended time with a hamstring injury. It came to a head when Bryce Cotton sat out in a loss to Brown on Dec. 28 with a sore knee. Afterward, Cooley called his team “soft” and lamented the lack of chemistry. Things have only gotten worse, as the team is off to an 0-2 start in Big East play, and is currently 8-6.
SCOUTING THE FRIARS: Cotton leads the team in scoring at 21.3 points per game, while shooting 41 percent from downtown. Since Council’s return from his injury, he’s been averaging 8.8 points and 5.5 rebounds. Meanwhile, the 6-9 Johnson has played five games this season as he slowly returns to game shape. Last year with Arizona, he only played seven minutes in three games before making the decision to transfer.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: The Orange lead the series 46-10. The last time Syracuse lost to the Friars was in 2009. Syracuse won the last matchup between these two teams on Jan. 14, 2012, 78-55. Scoop Jardine’s 10 points and 9 assists led the way.
GAME INFORMATION: Game time is 7 p.m. at the Providence Civic Center/Dunkin Donuts Center. TV: Big East Network, SNY, Time Warner Cable, MASN, Cox Sports, ESPN Full Court, and ESPN3 (online subject to blackout).
- McAnaney: Days of Syracuse lacrosse as lock for Final Four are over - May 26, 2016
- 2016 NBA Draft Profile: Syracuse G Malachi Richardson - May 25, 2016
- Former punter Brendan Carney talks Syracuse football, Riley Dixon, marathoning - May 18, 2016
- Second half rally by Syracuse lacrosse enough to silence Albany - May 16, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse, seeded No. 8 in the NCAA Tournament, will host Albany - May 9, 2016
- Colgate Raiders — 2016 Syracuse lacrosse scouting report - May 5, 2016
- What will Syracuse’s starting lineup look like in the 2016-17 season? - May 5, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse in final three for Taurean Thompson - May 5, 2016
- Belbey looking to add one more player to Syracuse alumni team ‘Boeheim’s Army’ - May 4, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 wing Jordan Tucker calls visit to Syracuse ‘great’ - May 4, 2016