Doug Marrone was officially named head coach of the Buffalo Bills in a press conference on Monday afternoon. He takes over for Chan Gailey, who was fired following three losing seasons.
“Right from the start, this is where I wanted to be,” Marrone said. “I’m dying to go to work. We have a lot of work to do.”
Marrone went 25-25 during four seasons as head coach of Syracuse, including two wins in the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium.
“Doug has restored Syracuse football to its rightful place and we are appreciative of the foundation he has laid on and off the field for the future success of the program,” Syracuse athletic director Daryl Gross said in a release. “We wish him the absolute best in his opportunity in the NFL.”
He takes over a Buffalo team that has not had a winning record since 2004, and hasn’t made the playoffs in 13 seasons, the longest such streak in the NFL.
Prior to taking over at Syracuse, Marrone was the offensive coordinator with the New Orleans Saints from 2006-08, and was the offensive line coach with the New York Jets from 2002-05.
Syracuse will need to hire a replacement. Candidates include offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett, defensive coordinator Scott Shafer, former Florida International head coach Mario Cristobal, and Indianapolis Colts running backs coach David Walker.
“We look forward to improving on our success, as we have great momentum heading into the ACC,” Gross said. “We will put a head coach in place who will continue down the successful path we are on.”
- Maryland, Wake Forest latest to offer Jamal Murray — Cuse Clicks - December 18, 2014
- Syracuse commit Malachi Richardson may be ‘best shooter’ in NJ — Cuse Clicks - December 17, 2014
- Syracuse picks up verbal from Pennsylvania TE/DE Amir Ealey — Cuse Clicks - December 15, 2014
- Kentucky still alive in Thomas Bryant sweepstakes — Cuse Clicks - December 11, 2014
- Breaking down the start to Syracuse basketball’s season - December 11, 2014
- Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski meets with Tyus Battle — Cuse Clicks - December 10, 2014
- Jamal Murray stars at Hoopfest, may reclassify to 2015 — Cuse Clicks - December 8, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 57, St. John’s 69 - December 6, 2014
- St. John’s Red Storm — 2014-15 Syracuse basketball scouting report with Storm the Paint - December 5, 2014
- NBA scout weighs in on Syracuse forward Chris McCullough — Cuse Clicks - December 4, 2014