Doug Marrone was officially named head coach of the Buffalo Bills in a press conference on Monday afternoon. He takes over for Chan Gailey, who was fired following three losing seasons.
“Right from the start, this is where I wanted to be,” Marrone said. “I’m dying to go to work. We have a lot of work to do.”
Marrone went 25-25 during four seasons as head coach of Syracuse, including two wins in the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium.
“Doug has restored Syracuse football to its rightful place and we are appreciative of the foundation he has laid on and off the field for the future success of the program,” Syracuse athletic director Daryl Gross said in a release. “We wish him the absolute best in his opportunity in the NFL.”
He takes over a Buffalo team that has not had a winning record since 2004, and hasn’t made the playoffs in 13 seasons, the longest such streak in the NFL.
Prior to taking over at Syracuse, Marrone was the offensive coordinator with the New Orleans Saints from 2006-08, and was the offensive line coach with the New York Jets from 2002-05.
Syracuse will need to hire a replacement. Candidates include offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett, defensive coordinator Scott Shafer, former Florida International head coach Mario Cristobal, and Indianapolis Colts running backs coach David Walker.
“We look forward to improving on our success, as we have great momentum heading into the ACC,” Gross said. “We will put a head coach in place who will continue down the successful path we are on.”
- Two early season losses could be bad harbinger for Syracuse basketball - December 1, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 61, Pittsburgh 76 - November 26, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 101, South Carolina State 59 - November 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands commitment from Bourama Sidibe - November 22, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Monmouth 50 - November 18, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Quade Green between Syracuse, Kentucky; Lonnie Walker to Miami - November 17, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 Syracuse target Bourama Sidibe to announce Monday - November 16, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, Holy Cross 46 - November 15, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Oshae Brissett commits as Quade Green visits - November 14, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 83, Colgate 55 - November 11, 2016