Doug Marrone was officially named head coach of the Buffalo Bills in a press conference on Monday afternoon. He takes over for Chan Gailey, who was fired following three losing seasons.
“Right from the start, this is where I wanted to be,” Marrone said. “I’m dying to go to work. We have a lot of work to do.”
Marrone went 25-25 during four seasons as head coach of Syracuse, including two wins in the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium.
“Doug has restored Syracuse football to its rightful place and we are appreciative of the foundation he has laid on and off the field for the future success of the program,” Syracuse athletic director Daryl Gross said in a release. “We wish him the absolute best in his opportunity in the NFL.”
He takes over a Buffalo team that has not had a winning record since 2004, and hasn’t made the playoffs in 13 seasons, the longest such streak in the NFL.
Prior to taking over at Syracuse, Marrone was the offensive coordinator with the New Orleans Saints from 2006-08, and was the offensive line coach with the New York Jets from 2002-05.
Syracuse will need to hire a replacement. Candidates include offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett, defensive coordinator Scott Shafer, former Florida International head coach Mario Cristobal, and Indianapolis Colts running backs coach David Walker.
“We look forward to improving on our success, as we have great momentum heading into the ACC,” Gross said. “We will put a head coach in place who will continue down the successful path we are on.”
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 7, Pitt 30 - November 22, 2014
- Kaleb Joseph shows growth as Syracuse edges Iowa - November 22, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 66, Iowa 63 - November 21, 2014
- Star 2015 forward Thomas Bryant to visit Kentucky — Cuse Clicks - November 21, 2014
- In loss to Cal, Syracuse basketball’s inexperience shows - November 21, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 59, California 73 - November 20, 2014
- Thomas Bryant considering Syracuse, Indiana and Missouri — Cuse Clicks - November 20, 2014
- Lake Forest Academy DL Wesley Annan commits to Stanford — Cuse Clicks - November 19, 2014
- Syracuse commit Moustapha Diagne among elite recruits at Burger King Classic — Cuse Clicks - November 17, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 89, Kennesaw State 42 - November 14, 2014