Doug Marrone was officially named head coach of the Buffalo Bills in a press conference on Monday afternoon. He takes over for Chan Gailey, who was fired following three losing seasons.
“Right from the start, this is where I wanted to be,” Marrone said. “I’m dying to go to work. We have a lot of work to do.”
Marrone went 25-25 during four seasons as head coach of Syracuse, including two wins in the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium.
“Doug has restored Syracuse football to its rightful place and we are appreciative of the foundation he has laid on and off the field for the future success of the program,” Syracuse athletic director Daryl Gross said in a release. “We wish him the absolute best in his opportunity in the NFL.”
He takes over a Buffalo team that has not had a winning record since 2004, and hasn’t made the playoffs in 13 seasons, the longest such streak in the NFL.
Prior to taking over at Syracuse, Marrone was the offensive coordinator with the New Orleans Saints from 2006-08, and was the offensive line coach with the New York Jets from 2002-05.
Syracuse will need to hire a replacement. Candidates include offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett, defensive coordinator Scott Shafer, former Florida International head coach Mario Cristobal, and Indianapolis Colts running backs coach David Walker.
“We look forward to improving on our success, as we have great momentum heading into the ACC,” Gross said. “We will put a head coach in place who will continue down the successful path we are on.”
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse target Eric Ayala to make reclassification decision after July - May 30, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Decision day for Hugh Davis, Syracuse re-offers Jo-El Shaw - May 26, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: 2018 running back Jawhar Jordan commits to Syracuse - May 25, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Marek Dolezaj to Syracuse, Meechi Harris narrows list to nine - May 24, 2017
- 2017 NBA Draft Profile: Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon - May 23, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse’s dream season ends with nightmare against Towson - May 22, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse to play Towson with trip to Final Four on the line - May 19, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army has meant ‘a lot’ to Syracuse basketball alums - May 17, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse rides Evan Molloy past Yale and into NCAA quarterfinals - May 15, 2017
- Syracuse basketball recruit Jordan Tucker commits to Duke - May 13, 2017