A quick take on Syracuse’s 55-44 win over USF in front of a loud, near sell-out crowd of 10,024 at the refurbished Sun Dome in Tampa Sunday afternoon:
WHAT HAPPENED: In its first conference road game in its last Big East season, the Orange (14-1, 2-0) fell behind by as many as 10 points eight minutes into the game, but settled down on offense, tightened its 2-3 zone forcing the Bulls (9-4, 0-1) into relying heavily on long outside shots (6 of 22 from three point range), and turned up the transition game for fast-break points on route to going to 2-0 in league play.
ANALYSIS: Despite a pace dictated by USF that held SU scoring into the 50s, the number-seven Orange led by consistent backcourt play when needed, and the athleticism of James Sutherland (17 points, eight rebounds) and Rakeem Christmas (bottom of zone defense) at key points in the second half had enough to stymie the Bulls upset bid.
HERO: The steady Brandon Triche coming off a season-high 25-points against Rutgers, the senior guard had 20 points with several key second-half baskets to hold off the Bulls comeback. In addition, Triche had three boards, four assists, and two steals.
ZERO: He’s a great young player, but Michael Carter-Williams outside shooting of 1 for 13 was at times some bad luck, but mainly some poor decisions in rushing his shot in the offensive flow. Carter-Williams did have nine rebounds, five assists and four steals to balance his shooting woes.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse wraps up a two game road trip Wed night, Jan. 9 at Providence. Game time is 7 p.m. The Orange are 18-4 all-time under Jim Boeheim at the Providence Civic Center/Dunkin Donuts Center, winning there last season 87-73. TV: Big East Network, SNY, Time Warner Cable, MASN, Cox Sports, ESPN Full Court, and ESPN3 (online subject to blackout).
- Orange Watch: At midway point, familiar names remain atop ACC football standings - October 13, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, USF 45 - October 10, 2015
- Orange Watch: Syracuse would join select company if Harrison is elected to HOF - October 9, 2015
- Orange Watch: Look for Carrier Dome renovation plans to be announced by year’s end - October 6, 2015
- Orange Watch: One third complete, Syracuse football season on track for a bowl game - September 29, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, LSU 34 - September 26, 2015
- Orange Watch: The Syracuse-LSU game chance for rare breakthrough victory - September 22, 2015
- Orange Watch: Only winning will return fans to Carrier Dome for Syracuse football - September 15, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 30, Wake Forest 17 - September 12, 2015
- Orange Watch: A youth movement for Syracuse football only one game into the season - September 8, 2015