A quick take on Syracuse’s 78-53 win over Rutgers for Jim Boeheim’s 903rd career win:
WHAT HAPPENED: Rutgers held a 20-18 lead with 8:06 left in the first half after Eli Carter hit a jumper. The Scarlet Knights would be shut out the rest of the half, as the Orange scored 21 unanswered points to go into intermission with a 39-20 lead. A Michael Carter-Williams 3-pointer to open the second half would make it a 24-0 run before Rutgers finally scored again. It was a drought that lasted more than nine minutes. The lead would continue to balloon as the Orange outscored Rutgers 39-33 in the second half.
ANALYSIS: The win marked Jim Boeheim’s 903rd career win, moving him into sole possession of No. 2 on the all-time wins list. It had all the hallmarks of a typical Boeheim win. Syracuse’s 2-3 zone was stifling, forcing 20 turnovers while limiting the Scarlet Knights to 36 percent shooting from the field. The Orange also shot the ball well for the second straight game, hitting 45 percent of their shots and going 9-22 from downtown. Boeheim is now ahead of Bobby Knight, and trails only Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski. Meanwhile, it was the first game back for Rutgers coach Mike Rice after he was suspended three games and fined $50,000 for a violation of athletic department policy.
HERO: Brandon Triche hit a season-high five 3-pointers and went 8-11 from the field for a game-high 25 points. Carter-Williams notched another double-double with 12 points and 10 assists. Rutgers guard Eli Carter was 5-10 from downtown for 19 points.
ZERO: Rutgers sharpshooter Miles Mack came into the game shooting 58 percent from the field and 51 percent from downtown. But he struggled against SU, and went scoreless on 0-4 shooting. Syracuse and Rutgers will likely not play each other for a long time, especially at the Carrier Dome. That’s probably good news for the Scarlet Knights, because with the loss, they dropped to 1-23 in The Loud House.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will travel to Florida to play USF on Sunday, Jan. 6 at 12 p.m. TV: SNY.
- Two early season losses could be bad harbinger for Syracuse basketball - December 1, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 61, Pittsburgh 76 - November 26, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 101, South Carolina State 59 - November 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands commitment from Bourama Sidibe - November 22, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Monmouth 50 - November 18, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Quade Green between Syracuse, Kentucky; Lonnie Walker to Miami - November 17, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 Syracuse target Bourama Sidibe to announce Monday - November 16, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, Holy Cross 46 - November 15, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Oshae Brissett commits as Quade Green visits - November 14, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 83, Colgate 55 - November 11, 2016