Count Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim among those who want football coach Doug Marrone to stay in orange.
Following his 903rd win against Rutgers on Wednesday night, Boeheim finished his press conference by heaping praise on the fourth-year Syracuse coach. Marrone and the football team just won the New Era Pinstripe Bowl for the second time in three years against West Virginia in December.
“Well, he’s a great coach,” Boeheim said. “You know he’ll make a great decision. He’s done an unbelievable job here.”
The recent success of the football team has opened the door for Marrone to NFL head coaching positions. Marrone will reportedly interview for the Cleveland Browns and Buffalo Bills head coaching positions, and he has drawn interest from the Philadelphia Eagles, as well.
Marrone has only posted a 25-25 record with Syracuse, but has turned around a program that was at its lowest point in history when he arrived.
“When you’re talented people are going to inquire about you,” Boeheim said. “You know I hope he’s here. I think he’ll do fine, I hope he stays here. I hope it’s the right place for him. I think he’s done an unbelievable job and I think he will continue to do an unbelievable job.”
Boeheim even had Marrone over for dinner earlier in the week and made a pitch for Marrone to stay.
“I tried to convince him that Syracuse was better than Hawaii or any other place,” Boeheim said. “I don’t know if he believed that.”
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: 2016 guard Tyus Battle has ‘great visit’ to Duke - October 28, 2014
- North Carolina State Wolfpack — 2014 Syracuse football scouting report - October 28, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Trevon Duval has ‘pretty good’ visit to Orange Madness - October 27, 2014
- Syracuse 6, Clemson 16 — What we learned - October 27, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 6, Clemson 16 - October 25, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Malachi Richardson among top talent in 8Eye Classic - October 24, 2014
- Philadephia 76ers forward Jerami Grant: I miss ‘everything’ about Syracuse - October 24, 2014
- NCAA investigating Syracuse men’s basketball, football programs - October 24, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Trevon Duval, Nate Pierre-Louis drawing high-major interest - October 20, 2014
- Syracuse 30, Wake Forest 7 — What we learned - October 20, 2014