Count Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim among those who want football coach Doug Marrone to stay in orange.
Following his 903rd win against Rutgers on Wednesday night, Boeheim finished his press conference by heaping praise on the fourth-year Syracuse coach. Marrone and the football team just won the New Era Pinstripe Bowl for the second time in three years against West Virginia in December.
“Well, he’s a great coach,” Boeheim said. “You know he’ll make a great decision. He’s done an unbelievable job here.”
The recent success of the football team has opened the door for Marrone to NFL head coaching positions. Marrone will reportedly interview for the Cleveland Browns and Buffalo Bills head coaching positions, and he has drawn interest from the Philadelphia Eagles, as well.
Marrone has only posted a 25-25 record with Syracuse, but has turned around a program that was at its lowest point in history when he arrived.
“When you’re talented people are going to inquire about you,” Boeheim said. “You know I hope he’s here. I think he’ll do fine, I hope he stays here. I hope it’s the right place for him. I think he’s done an unbelievable job and I think he will continue to do an unbelievable job.”
Boeheim even had Marrone over for dinner earlier in the week and made a pitch for Marrone to stay.
“I tried to convince him that Syracuse was better than Hawaii or any other place,” Boeheim said. “I don’t know if he believed that.”
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Mike Hopkins to leave Syracuse, take over at Washington - March 19, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Chris Carlson on the NIT, 2017 basketball recruiting, Greensboro - March 17, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, UNC Greensboro 77 - March 15, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse basketball left out of NCAA Tournament - March 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse surges, sputters, then hangs on for win against St. John’s - March 12, 2017
- Jim Boeheim pleads case for Syracuse after ACC Tournament loss - March 9, 2017
- Syracuse coach says there’s ‘no value’ in playing ACC Tournament in Greensboro - March 8, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 57, Miami 62 - March 8, 2017