Count Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim among those who want football coach Doug Marrone to stay in orange.
Following his 903rd win against Rutgers on Wednesday night, Boeheim finished his press conference by heaping praise on the fourth-year Syracuse coach. Marrone and the football team just won the New Era Pinstripe Bowl for the second time in three years against West Virginia in December.
“Well, he’s a great coach,” Boeheim said. “You know he’ll make a great decision. He’s done an unbelievable job here.”
The recent success of the football team has opened the door for Marrone to NFL head coaching positions. Marrone will reportedly interview for the Cleveland Browns and Buffalo Bills head coaching positions, and he has drawn interest from the Philadelphia Eagles, as well.
Marrone has only posted a 25-25 record with Syracuse, but has turned around a program that was at its lowest point in history when he arrived.
“When you’re talented people are going to inquire about you,” Boeheim said. “You know I hope he’s here. I think he’ll do fine, I hope he stays here. I hope it’s the right place for him. I think he’s done an unbelievable job and I think he will continue to do an unbelievable job.”
Boeheim even had Marrone over for dinner earlier in the week and made a pitch for Marrone to stay.
“I tried to convince him that Syracuse was better than Hawaii or any other place,” Boeheim said. “I don’t know if he believed that.”
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016