Count Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim among those who want football coach Doug Marrone to stay in orange.
Following his 903rd win against Rutgers on Wednesday night, Boeheim finished his press conference by heaping praise on the fourth-year Syracuse coach. Marrone and the football team just won the New Era Pinstripe Bowl for the second time in three years against West Virginia in December.
“Well, he’s a great coach,” Boeheim said. “You know he’ll make a great decision. He’s done an unbelievable job here.”
The recent success of the football team has opened the door for Marrone to NFL head coaching positions. Marrone will reportedly interview for the Cleveland Browns and Buffalo Bills head coaching positions, and he has drawn interest from the Philadelphia Eagles, as well.
Marrone has only posted a 25-25 record with Syracuse, but has turned around a program that was at its lowest point in history when he arrived.
“When you’re talented people are going to inquire about you,” Boeheim said. “You know I hope he’s here. I think he’ll do fine, I hope he stays here. I hope it’s the right place for him. I think he’s done an unbelievable job and I think he will continue to do an unbelievable job.”
Boeheim even had Marrone over for dinner earlier in the week and made a pitch for Marrone to stay.
“I tried to convince him that Syracuse was better than Hawaii or any other place,” Boeheim said. “I don’t know if he believed that.”
- Maryland, Wake Forest latest to offer Jamal Murray — Cuse Clicks - December 18, 2014
- Syracuse commit Malachi Richardson may be ‘best shooter’ in NJ — Cuse Clicks - December 17, 2014
- Syracuse picks up verbal from Pennsylvania TE/DE Amir Ealey — Cuse Clicks - December 15, 2014
- Kentucky still alive in Thomas Bryant sweepstakes — Cuse Clicks - December 11, 2014
- Breaking down the start to Syracuse basketball’s season - December 11, 2014
- Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski meets with Tyus Battle — Cuse Clicks - December 10, 2014
- Jamal Murray stars at Hoopfest, may reclassify to 2015 — Cuse Clicks - December 8, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 57, St. John’s 69 - December 6, 2014
- St. John’s Red Storm — 2014-15 Syracuse basketball scouting report with Storm the Paint - December 5, 2014
- NBA scout weighs in on Syracuse forward Chris McCullough — Cuse Clicks - December 4, 2014