Count Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim among those who want football coach Doug Marrone to stay in orange.
Following his 903rd win against Rutgers on Wednesday night, Boeheim finished his press conference by heaping praise on the fourth-year Syracuse coach. Marrone and the football team just won the New Era Pinstripe Bowl for the second time in three years against West Virginia in December.
“Well, he’s a great coach,” Boeheim said. “You know he’ll make a great decision. He’s done an unbelievable job here.”
The recent success of the football team has opened the door for Marrone to NFL head coaching positions. Marrone will reportedly interview for the Cleveland Browns and Buffalo Bills head coaching positions, and he has drawn interest from the Philadelphia Eagles, as well.
Marrone has only posted a 25-25 record with Syracuse, but has turned around a program that was at its lowest point in history when he arrived.
“When you’re talented people are going to inquire about you,” Boeheim said. “You know I hope he’s here. I think he’ll do fine, I hope he stays here. I hope it’s the right place for him. I think he’s done an unbelievable job and I think he will continue to do an unbelievable job.”
Boeheim even had Marrone over for dinner earlier in the week and made a pitch for Marrone to stay.
“I tried to convince him that Syracuse was better than Hawaii or any other place,” Boeheim said. “I don’t know if he believed that.”
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 76, Boston College 53 - January 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 73, Virginia Tech 83 - January 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, Pittsburgh 66 - January 7, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 70, Miami 55 - January 4, 2017
- Kouwe: Syracuse basketball ‘will get better from here’ - January 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 81, Boston College 96 - January 1, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Cornell 56 - December 27, 2016
- Cornell Big Red — 2016-17 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - December 26, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 60, St. John’s 93 - December 21, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Georgetown 78 - December 17, 2016