Jim Boeheim will look to tie Bobby Knight with his 902nd career win as the Orange take on Central Connecticut State on the Carrier Dome in the last game of 2012. Here is a scouting report:
BLUE DEVILS RELOADING: The Blue Devils had an up-and-down 13-16 season last season, but ended up with a winning record (10-8) in the Northeast Conference. They’re projected as a middle of the pack team, even with losing NEC Player of the Year Ken Horton and 1,500-point scorer Robbie Patcek, the No. 1 and No. 10 scorers in school history. Central head coach Howie Dickenman has managed to keep his offense humming with the Blue Devils averaging 73.9 points per game with two players averaging more than 19 points a game. But they’re one of the smallest teams the Orange will face this season, with 6’7″ forward Brandon Peel as their biggest player in the playing rotation.
SCOUTING THE BLUE DEVILS: Kyle Vinales is the reigning NEC Rookie of the Year and has become the primary scoring option this season. He was the rookie of the week eight times last season, and leads the team in minutes (39.9) and points (21.4). Transfer Matt Hunter has been his sidekick on offense, and he’s averaging 19.0 points and a team-high 7.1 rebounds per game. Indiana fans may know Hunter as “the guy that can shoot,” as he dropped 40 points on the No. 1 team in the country, while hitting 6-11 from downtown. Central Connecticut State hung with the top team in the country for six minutes and didn’t look intimiated on the road.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: The two teams have never met before.
GAME INFORMATION: Monday, Dec. 31 at 3 p.m. at the Carrier Dome. TV: ESPNU.
- 2016 wing VJ King taking things slowly with recruitment — Cuse Clicks - November 26, 2014
- 2016 forward Sedee Keita has several high-major offers — Cuse Clicks - November 25, 2014
- 2016 5-star point guard Kobi Simmons visits Kentucky — Cuse Clicks - November 24, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 7, Pitt 30 - November 22, 2014
- Kaleb Joseph shows growth as Syracuse edges Iowa - November 22, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 66, Iowa 63 - November 21, 2014
- Star 2015 forward Thomas Bryant to visit Kentucky — Cuse Clicks - November 21, 2014
- In loss to Cal, Syracuse basketball’s inexperience shows - November 21, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 59, California 73 - November 20, 2014
- Thomas Bryant considering Syracuse, Indiana and Missouri — Cuse Clicks - November 20, 2014