NEW YORK – A quick take on Syracuse’s 38-14 second-half run-away versus West Virginia in the third annual New Era Pinstripe Bowl at snowy Yankee Stadium in the Bronx.
WHAT HAPPENED: Syracuse continued its standout post-season play in the Doug Marrone era by winning its second Pinstripe Bowl in three seasons and an eight-win season with a dominating second-half performance against WVU. With snow showers falling the entire game, the Orange ground game took over in the second half keyed by junior Prince-Tyson Gulley and fellow junior Jerome Smith. The two combined for 360 yards on the ground.
ANALYSIS: SU didn’t let up after winning five of its last six regular season games, winning the battle of the line of scrimmage, stopping the’Neers all 12 times they had third and fourth down opportunities to try and keep the chains moving, and putting on a dazzling display of running under the guidance of record-breaking QB Ryan Nassib in his final game in orange and blue.
HERO: Orange running back Gulley had a sensational second half with a 67-yard TD run and 9-yard TD catch from Nassib, and he threw in a 33-yard run for a score in the second quarter for good measure. Gulley also reeled in 10 catches for 50 yards in addition to nearly out gaining the entire West Virginia team.
ZERO: The Mountaineers defense. Entering the game 117th in total points allowed in Div 1, WVU had no answer for the Orange running game and the mastering of the Orange offense by Nassib. WVU gave up 38.1 points per game, right on the number for SU.
WHAT’S NEXT: The Orange played their final game as a representative in the Big East conference. The next game will be as an ACC member when Syracuse takes on Penn State at MetLife Stadium on August 31, 2013.
- Orange Watch: No place like Dome highlights early 2015 Syracuse football schedule - January 29, 2015
- Orange Watch: Could Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim be in for first losing season? - January 28, 2015
- Orange Watch: Interesting week to watch how Syracuse basketball bounces back - January 20, 2015
- Orange Watch: Syracuse eyes another inductee into Pro Football Hall of Fame - January 13, 2015
- College Hoops – With Chris McCullought out, Sportbet has line on next game at 8.5 - January 12, 2015
- Orange Watch: How does Syracuse compare to ACC opponents, Part II - January 7, 2015
- Orange Watch: Stacking up Syracuse basketball’s ACC opponents, Part I - January 6, 2015
- Orange Watch: Early ACC schedule shakes out favorably for Syracuse basketball - December 30, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 85, Long Beach State 67 - December 28, 2014
- A Christmas wish list for Syracuse fans - December 25, 2014