Syracuse will look to get back in the win column when they play Alcorn State on Saturday night at the Carrier Dome:
REBOUNDING REBOUND: Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim wasn’t happy with his team’s rebounding effort in the Orange’s first loss of the season to Temple last Saturday. Temple, a smaller team, was able to outrebound the Orange 44-41, and was able to get 19 offensive rebounds. “Defensive rebounding wasn’t good,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. “A few times we had good stops, that’s always going to hurt you.” The Orange should be able to get back on track against an Alcorn State team that is 308th in the NCAA in rebounding, at 31.2 a game. In an 87-74 loss to Canisius earlier in the week, the Braves were outrebounded 41-25, and gave up 16 offensive rebounds and 26 second-chance points. They’re also on an 8 game losing streak, and are 2-12 overall on the season. But the Braves aren’t as small a team as Temple. 6-8 forward Ian Francis leads the team with 4.7 rebounds a game, while 7-footer Josh Nicholas is second at 4.4 a game.
SCOUTING THE BRAVES: Marquiz Baker leads the Braves in scoring at 25.7 points per game. He’s only played three games this year because he missed most of the 2011-12 season after a season-ending foot injury. Baker’s been perfect from the free throw line this season, canning all 13 of his attempts, and has shown the ability to hit from downtown. Overall, the Braves are one of the more experienced teams the Orange will play, returning four of their five starters from last year, including their top two scorers, Anthony Nieves and Twann Oakley.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: The two teams have met only once in their history, with the Orange routing the Braves 110-77 on Dec. 3, 1982.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, Dec. 29 at 7 p.m. at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY. TV: Big East Network/Time Warner Cable Sports.
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army crossing Final Four threshold builds momentum for 2018 - August 22, 2017
- Boston College Eagles — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 21, 2017
- Adelson: Syracuse football ‘will be better’ but bowl game may prove elusive - August 18, 2017
- Ervin Philips — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 16, 2017
- Louisville Cardinals — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 14, 2017
- Steve Ishmael — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 8, 2017
- Wake Forest Demon Deacons — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 7, 2017
- Moe Neal — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Boeheim’s Army 77, Overseas Elite 81 - August 2, 2017
- Miami Hurricanes — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - July 31, 2017