Syracuse will look to get back in the win column when they play Alcorn State on Saturday night at the Carrier Dome:
REBOUNDING REBOUND: Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim wasn’t happy with his team’s rebounding effort in the Orange’s first loss of the season to Temple last Saturday. Temple, a smaller team, was able to outrebound the Orange 44-41, and was able to get 19 offensive rebounds. “Defensive rebounding wasn’t good,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. “A few times we had good stops, that’s always going to hurt you.” The Orange should be able to get back on track against an Alcorn State team that is 308th in the NCAA in rebounding, at 31.2 a game. In an 87-74 loss to Canisius earlier in the week, the Braves were outrebounded 41-25, and gave up 16 offensive rebounds and 26 second-chance points. They’re also on an 8 game losing streak, and are 2-12 overall on the season. But the Braves aren’t as small a team as Temple. 6-8 forward Ian Francis leads the team with 4.7 rebounds a game, while 7-footer Josh Nicholas is second at 4.4 a game.
SCOUTING THE BRAVES: Marquiz Baker leads the Braves in scoring at 25.7 points per game. He’s only played three games this year because he missed most of the 2011-12 season after a season-ending foot injury. Baker’s been perfect from the free throw line this season, canning all 13 of his attempts, and has shown the ability to hit from downtown. Overall, the Braves are one of the more experienced teams the Orange will play, returning four of their five starters from last year, including their top two scorers, Anthony Nieves and Twann Oakley.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: The two teams have met only once in their history, with the Orange routing the Braves 110-77 on Dec. 3, 1982.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, Dec. 29 at 7 p.m. at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY. TV: Big East Network/Time Warner Cable Sports.
- Syracuse commit Moustapha Diagne named MVP of H/W/S title game — Cuse Clicks - March 2, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 54, Duke 73 - February 28, 2015
- If Syracuse basketball was eligible, it would be squarely on the bubble - February 27, 2015
- Tyus Battle injures foot with Michigan, Notre Dame watching — Cuse Clicks - February 26, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 65, Notre Dame 60 - February 24, 2015
- 2016 forward Kassoum Yakwe to visit Iowa State — Cuse Clicks - February 24, 2015
- Combo guard Kobi Simmons has racked up 39 offers — Cuse Clicks - February 23, 2015
- Former Syracuse star CJ Fair to Orange fans: ‘Keep hope alive’ - February 23, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 61, Pittsburgh 65 - February 21, 2015
- Louisville, Florida and Ohio State to watch 5-star Tyus Battle — Cuse Clicks - February 20, 2015