Syracuse will look to get back in the win column when they play Alcorn State on Saturday night at the Carrier Dome:
REBOUNDING REBOUND: Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim wasn’t happy with his team’s rebounding effort in the Orange’s first loss of the season to Temple last Saturday. Temple, a smaller team, was able to outrebound the Orange 44-41, and was able to get 19 offensive rebounds. “Defensive rebounding wasn’t good,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. “A few times we had good stops, that’s always going to hurt you.” The Orange should be able to get back on track against an Alcorn State team that is 308th in the NCAA in rebounding, at 31.2 a game. In an 87-74 loss to Canisius earlier in the week, the Braves were outrebounded 41-25, and gave up 16 offensive rebounds and 26 second-chance points. They’re also on an 8 game losing streak, and are 2-12 overall on the season. But the Braves aren’t as small a team as Temple. 6-8 forward Ian Francis leads the team with 4.7 rebounds a game, while 7-footer Josh Nicholas is second at 4.4 a game.
SCOUTING THE BRAVES: Marquiz Baker leads the Braves in scoring at 25.7 points per game. He’s only played three games this year because he missed most of the 2011-12 season after a season-ending foot injury. Baker’s been perfect from the free throw line this season, canning all 13 of his attempts, and has shown the ability to hit from downtown. Overall, the Braves are one of the more experienced teams the Orange will play, returning four of their five starters from last year, including their top two scorers, Anthony Nieves and Twann Oakley.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: The two teams have met only once in their history, with the Orange routing the Braves 110-77 on Dec. 3, 1982.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, Dec. 29 at 7 p.m. at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY. TV: Big East Network/Time Warner Cable Sports.
- Boston College Eagles— 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - October 21, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 31, Virginia Tech 17 - October 15, 2016
- Virginia Tech Hokies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - October 14, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 9, Wake Forest 28 - October 8, 2016
- Waters: Syracuse basketball in ‘good shape’ for 2017 targets - October 6, 2016
- Wake Forest Demon Deacons — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - October 5, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse extends offer to 2017 five-star Billy Preston - October 4, 2016
- Syracuse football notebook: Tom Coughlin calls interview with Bills ‘none of your business’ - October 3, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers Jasiah Provillon, Shayne Simon - October 3, 2016
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 30, 2016