Syracuse will look to get back in the win column when they play Alcorn State on Saturday night at the Carrier Dome:
REBOUNDING REBOUND: Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim wasn’t happy with his team’s rebounding effort in the Orange’s first loss of the season to Temple last Saturday. Temple, a smaller team, was able to outrebound the Orange 44-41, and was able to get 19 offensive rebounds. “Defensive rebounding wasn’t good,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. “A few times we had good stops, that’s always going to hurt you.” The Orange should be able to get back on track against an Alcorn State team that is 308th in the NCAA in rebounding, at 31.2 a game. In an 87-74 loss to Canisius earlier in the week, the Braves were outrebounded 41-25, and gave up 16 offensive rebounds and 26 second-chance points. They’re also on an 8 game losing streak, and are 2-12 overall on the season. But the Braves aren’t as small a team as Temple. 6-8 forward Ian Francis leads the team with 4.7 rebounds a game, while 7-footer Josh Nicholas is second at 4.4 a game.
SCOUTING THE BRAVES: Marquiz Baker leads the Braves in scoring at 25.7 points per game. He’s only played three games this year because he missed most of the 2011-12 season after a season-ending foot injury. Baker’s been perfect from the free throw line this season, canning all 13 of his attempts, and has shown the ability to hit from downtown. Overall, the Braves are one of the more experienced teams the Orange will play, returning four of their five starters from last year, including their top two scorers, Anthony Nieves and Twann Oakley.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: The two teams have met only once in their history, with the Orange routing the Braves 110-77 on Dec. 3, 1982.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, Dec. 29 at 7 p.m. at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY. TV: Big East Network/Time Warner Cable Sports.
- Devon Clark commits, but Syracuse football apparently doesn’t accept — Cuse Clicks - July 30, 2015
- Syracuse football picks up commitment from 2016 DE Jamal Holloway — Cuse Clicks - July 29, 2015
- Louisville Cardinals — 2015 Syracuse Football preview - July 29, 2015
- Moe Neal to choose between Syracuse, Wake Forest — Cuse Clicks - July 28, 2015
- Jamal Holloway to choose between Syracuse, three others on Tuesday — Cuse Clicks - July 27, 2015
- Julian Whigham — Meet the 2015 Syracuse Football team - July 23, 2015
- Florida State Seminoles — 2015 Syracuse Football preview - July 22, 2015
- Former Syracuse target Harry Giles cuts list to five schools — Cuse Clicks - July 21, 2015
- Trevon Duval in running for 2017’s top spot — Cuse Clicks - July 20, 2015
- Adly Enoicy — Meet the 2015 Syracuse Football team - July 16, 2015