Syracuse will look to get back in the win column when they play Alcorn State on Saturday night at the Carrier Dome:
REBOUNDING REBOUND: Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim wasn’t happy with his team’s rebounding effort in the Orange’s first loss of the season to Temple last Saturday. Temple, a smaller team, was able to outrebound the Orange 44-41, and was able to get 19 offensive rebounds. “Defensive rebounding wasn’t good,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. “A few times we had good stops, that’s always going to hurt you.” The Orange should be able to get back on track against an Alcorn State team that is 308th in the NCAA in rebounding, at 31.2 a game. In an 87-74 loss to Canisius earlier in the week, the Braves were outrebounded 41-25, and gave up 16 offensive rebounds and 26 second-chance points. They’re also on an 8 game losing streak, and are 2-12 overall on the season. But the Braves aren’t as small a team as Temple. 6-8 forward Ian Francis leads the team with 4.7 rebounds a game, while 7-footer Josh Nicholas is second at 4.4 a game.
SCOUTING THE BRAVES: Marquiz Baker leads the Braves in scoring at 25.7 points per game. He’s only played three games this year because he missed most of the 2011-12 season after a season-ending foot injury. Baker’s been perfect from the free throw line this season, canning all 13 of his attempts, and has shown the ability to hit from downtown. Overall, the Braves are one of the more experienced teams the Orange will play, returning four of their five starters from last year, including their top two scorers, Anthony Nieves and Twann Oakley.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: The two teams have met only once in their history, with the Orange routing the Braves 110-77 on Dec. 3, 1982.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, Dec. 29 at 7 p.m. at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY. TV: Big East Network/Time Warner Cable Sports.
- McAnaney: Syracuse lacrosse a tough out because it is ‘battle tested’ - April 28, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse finds familiar result in one-goal win against Binghamton - April 22, 2017
- Syracuse stumbles out of the gate, but rallies to defeat North Carolina - April 16, 2017
- Mettus: Syracuse lacrosse ‘the team to beat’ right now - April 14, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse flexes its muscles, pushing past Cornell - April 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse enjoys rare rout, easily dispatching Hobart - April 6, 2017
- 2016-17 Syracuse basketball report card - April 3, 2017
- An early look at the 2017-18 Syracuse basketball team - March 31, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017