Syracuse football players Marquis Spruill and Steven Rene will both miss “significant portions” of the next games they are eligible to play in, Orange coach Doug Marrone announced Friday afternoon in a statement.
“Syracuse University football coach Doug Marrone today announced that following a completed assessment of the facts regarding the December incident involving juniors Marquis Spruill and Steven Rene, he has taken team disciplinary action, including that Spruill will not play a significant portion of the upcoming bowl game, and Rene will not play a significant portion of the next game in which is he medically cleared to participate,” the statement said.
Spruill will miss a piece of the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium against West Virginia on Dec. 29.
Meanwhile, Rene has been out following surgery for an upper body injury since November. He will miss a portion of the next game he plays when he returns from his injury.
Spruill notched 62 tackles and two sacks this season at linebacker. Rene was primarily used in special teams.
Both players were disciplined because of a Dec. 2 arrest near campus.
- Thomas Bryant considering Syracuse, Indiana and Missouri — Cuse Clicks - November 20, 2014
- Lake Forest Academy DL Wesley Annan commits to Stanford — Cuse Clicks - November 19, 2014
- Syracuse commit Moustapha Diagne among elite recruits at Burger King Classic — Cuse Clicks - November 17, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 89, Kennesaw State 42 - November 14, 2014
- Roselle Catholic’s Isaiah Briscoe commits to Kentucky — Cuse Clicks - November 14, 2014
- Archbishop Carroll wing Derrick Jones to announce decision at 6 p.m. — Cuse Clicks - November 13, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 84, Adrian 35 - November 10, 2014
- Kentucky coach John Calipari visits 2016 wing V.J. King — Cuse Clicks - November 10, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Duke 27 - November 8, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: D’won Walker hoping for Syracuse offer - November 5, 2014