Syracuse football players Marquis Spruill and Steven Rene will both miss “significant portions” of the next games they are eligible to play in, Orange coach Doug Marrone announced Friday afternoon in a statement.
“Syracuse University football coach Doug Marrone today announced that following a completed assessment of the facts regarding the December incident involving juniors Marquis Spruill and Steven Rene, he has taken team disciplinary action, including that Spruill will not play a significant portion of the upcoming bowl game, and Rene will not play a significant portion of the next game in which is he medically cleared to participate,” the statement said.
Spruill will miss a piece of the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium against West Virginia on Dec. 29.
Meanwhile, Rene has been out following surgery for an upper body injury since November. He will miss a portion of the next game he plays when he returns from his injury.
Spruill notched 62 tackles and two sacks this season at linebacker. Rene was primarily used in special teams.
Both players were disciplined because of a Dec. 2 arrest near campus.
- Recruiting Roundup: QB Lindsey Scott commits to Syracuse - October 6, 2015
- Weekend Recruiting Roundup: Christopher Clark down to Syracuse, Pittsburgh - October 5, 2015
- Against ranked opponent, Zack Mahoney outdueled Syracuse predecessors - October 2, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers Zachary Sweeney, KJ Britt, Florida trio - October 2, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 OL Kadeem Telfort offered by Syracuse - October 1, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Chris Clark will visit Syracuse; Kevin Knox nets SU offer - September 30, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Jarrett Paul, Amir Watts set visit dates to Syracuse - September 29, 2015
- Syracuse 24, LSU 34 — What we learned - September 28, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Green enjoys visit to Syracuse; Gardner nets SU offer - September 28, 2015
- LSU Tigers — 2015 Syracuse football scouting report - September 25, 2015