Syracuse football players Marquis Spruill and Steven Rene will both miss “significant portions” of the next games they are eligible to play in, Orange coach Doug Marrone announced Friday afternoon in a statement.
“Syracuse University football coach Doug Marrone today announced that following a completed assessment of the facts regarding the December incident involving juniors Marquis Spruill and Steven Rene, he has taken team disciplinary action, including that Spruill will not play a significant portion of the upcoming bowl game, and Rene will not play a significant portion of the next game in which is he medically cleared to participate,” the statement said.
Spruill will miss a piece of the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium against West Virginia on Dec. 29.
Meanwhile, Rene has been out following surgery for an upper body injury since November. He will miss a portion of the next game he plays when he returns from his injury.
Spruill notched 62 tackles and two sacks this season at linebacker. Rene was primarily used in special teams.
Both players were disciplined because of a Dec. 2 arrest near campus.
- Scoop Bradshaw — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - June 26, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: NJ wide receiver Taj Harris commits to Syracuse - June 26, 2017
- Breaking down Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon’s selection by the Denver Nuggets - June 23, 2017
- Former Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon selected by Denver Nuggets in NBA Draft - June 22, 2017
- Central Michigan Chippewas — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 22, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse receives commitment from OL Will Froumy - June 21, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Cole Swider to visit Syracuse, Anthony Queeley commits - June 19, 2017
- Antwan Cordy — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - June 14, 2017
- Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 12, 2017
- Weekend Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands USF transfer Geno Thorpe - June 12, 2017