Syracuse football players Marquis Spruill and Steven Rene will both miss “significant portions” of the next games they are eligible to play in, Orange coach Doug Marrone announced Friday afternoon in a statement.
“Syracuse University football coach Doug Marrone today announced that following a completed assessment of the facts regarding the December incident involving juniors Marquis Spruill and Steven Rene, he has taken team disciplinary action, including that Spruill will not play a significant portion of the upcoming bowl game, and Rene will not play a significant portion of the next game in which is he medically cleared to participate,” the statement said.
Spruill will miss a piece of the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium against West Virginia on Dec. 29.
Meanwhile, Rene has been out following surgery for an upper body injury since November. He will miss a portion of the next game he plays when he returns from his injury.
Spruill notched 62 tackles and two sacks this season at linebacker. Rene was primarily used in special teams.
Both players were disciplined because of a Dec. 2 arrest near campus.
- Boston College Eagles— 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - October 21, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 31, Virginia Tech 17 - October 15, 2016
- Virginia Tech Hokies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - October 14, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 9, Wake Forest 28 - October 8, 2016
- Waters: Syracuse basketball in ‘good shape’ for 2017 targets - October 6, 2016
- Wake Forest Demon Deacons — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - October 5, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse extends offer to 2017 five-star Billy Preston - October 4, 2016
- Syracuse football notebook: Tom Coughlin calls interview with Bills ‘none of your business’ - October 3, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers Jasiah Provillon, Shayne Simon - October 3, 2016
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 30, 2016