Syracuse football players Marquis Spruill and Steven Rene will both miss “significant portions” of the next games they are eligible to play in, Orange coach Doug Marrone announced Friday afternoon in a statement.
“Syracuse University football coach Doug Marrone today announced that following a completed assessment of the facts regarding the December incident involving juniors Marquis Spruill and Steven Rene, he has taken team disciplinary action, including that Spruill will not play a significant portion of the upcoming bowl game, and Rene will not play a significant portion of the next game in which is he medically cleared to participate,” the statement said.
Spruill will miss a piece of the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium against West Virginia on Dec. 29.
Meanwhile, Rene has been out following surgery for an upper body injury since November. He will miss a portion of the next game he plays when he returns from his injury.
Spruill notched 62 tackles and two sacks this season at linebacker. Rene was primarily used in special teams.
Both players were disciplined because of a Dec. 2 arrest near campus.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Louisville 76 (OT) - February 13, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 82, Clemson 81 - February 7, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 66, Virginia 62 - February 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 100, NC State 93 OT - February 1, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse announces 2017 class - February 1, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 82, Florida State 72 - January 28, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 81, Wake Forest 76 - January 24, 2017
- Can Syracuse still make the NCAA Tournament? - January 23, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 66, Notre Dame 84 - January 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 76, Boston College 53 - January 14, 2017