Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim will go for his 900th career win when the Orange take on the Titans on Monday night. Here is a scouting report for the game.
FATHER/SON COMBO AGAIN: For the second straight game, Syracuse will be facing a father-son pairing. On Saturday, Syracuse played Canisius, featuring reigning MAAC Player of the Week Billy Baron and his father, head coach Jim Baron. Billy led Canisius with 15 points in a 85-61 loss. On Monday, the Orange will host Detroit, with NBA prospect Ray McCallum and his father, the head coach with the same name. Last year, the two helped Detroit win the Horizon league and a spot in the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1999. McCallum again leads the Titans in scoring, averaging 19.4 points per game on 48 percent shooting from the field, though Detroit has gone just 6-4 this year.
SCOUTING THE TITANS: The key for Detroit has been finding a steady second option behind McCallum. Senior guard Jason Calliste has been inconsistent this season, shooting a career-low 34 percent from the field. On some nights, he’s been worthy of the No. 1 option, scoring 24 points on 9 of 17 shooting in a 79-73 win over Toledo on Dec. 5. But he also went 0-9 from the field for 4 points in a 70-65 loss to Bowling Green on Nov. 27. He is second on the team in scoring at 13.2 ppg.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: The Orange are 4-1 all time against the Titans. The last time these two teams played was November 16, 2010. Scoop Jardine had a career-high 27 points and Rick Jackson 10 points and a career-best 22 rebounds in a 66-55 win.
GAME INFORMATION: Monday, Dec. 17 at 7 p.m. at the Carrier Dome. TV: ESPN2.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 62, Miami 66 - January 24, 2015
- What effect will NCAA investigation have on Syracuse’s recruitment of Thomas Bryant? - January 23, 2015
- Syracuse commit Malachi Richardson pours in 34 for Iron Mikes — Cuse Clicks - January 23, 2015
- Moustapha Diagne notches 16 points, rebounds as Pope John avoids upset — Cuse Clicks - January 22, 2015
- VJ King planning visits to Kentucky, Louisville — Cuse Clicks - January 21, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 69, Boston College 61 - January 20, 2015
- Thomas Bryant puts on performance with Syracuse watching — Cuse Clicks - January 20, 2015
- Syracuse among schools recruiting 2017 wing Jordan Tucker — Cuse Clicks - January 19, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 53, Clemson 66 - January 17, 2015
- Syracuse commit Malachi Richardson nominated for McDonald’s All-American game — Cuse Clicks - January 15, 2015