Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim will go for his 900th career win when the Orange take on the Titans on Monday night. Here is a scouting report for the game.
FATHER/SON COMBO AGAIN: For the second straight game, Syracuse will be facing a father-son pairing. On Saturday, Syracuse played Canisius, featuring reigning MAAC Player of the Week Billy Baron and his father, head coach Jim Baron. Billy led Canisius with 15 points in a 85-61 loss. On Monday, the Orange will host Detroit, with NBA prospect Ray McCallum and his father, the head coach with the same name. Last year, the two helped Detroit win the Horizon league and a spot in the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1999. McCallum again leads the Titans in scoring, averaging 19.4 points per game on 48 percent shooting from the field, though Detroit has gone just 6-4 this year.
SCOUTING THE TITANS: The key for Detroit has been finding a steady second option behind McCallum. Senior guard Jason Calliste has been inconsistent this season, shooting a career-low 34 percent from the field. On some nights, he’s been worthy of the No. 1 option, scoring 24 points on 9 of 17 shooting in a 79-73 win over Toledo on Dec. 5. But he also went 0-9 from the field for 4 points in a 70-65 loss to Bowling Green on Nov. 27. He is second on the team in scoring at 13.2 ppg.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: The Orange are 4-1 all time against the Titans. The last time these two teams played was November 16, 2010. Scoop Jardine had a career-high 27 points and Rick Jackson 10 points and a career-best 22 rebounds in a 66-55 win.
GAME INFORMATION: Monday, Dec. 17 at 7 p.m. at the Carrier Dome. TV: ESPN2.
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse among four schools working hardest for Naz Reid - May 31, 2016
- McAnaney: Days of Syracuse lacrosse as lock for Final Four are over - May 26, 2016
- 2016 NBA Draft Profile: Syracuse G Malachi Richardson - May 25, 2016
- Former punter Brendan Carney talks Syracuse football, Riley Dixon, marathoning - May 18, 2016
- Second half rally by Syracuse lacrosse enough to silence Albany - May 16, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse, seeded No. 8 in the NCAA Tournament, will host Albany - May 9, 2016
- Colgate Raiders — 2016 Syracuse lacrosse scouting report - May 5, 2016
- What will Syracuse’s starting lineup look like in the 2016-17 season? - May 5, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse in final three for Taurean Thompson - May 5, 2016
- Belbey looking to add one more player to Syracuse alumni team ‘Boeheim’s Army’ - May 4, 2016