Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim will go for his 900th career win when the Orange take on the Titans on Monday night. Here is a scouting report for the game.
FATHER/SON COMBO AGAIN: For the second straight game, Syracuse will be facing a father-son pairing. On Saturday, Syracuse played Canisius, featuring reigning MAAC Player of the Week Billy Baron and his father, head coach Jim Baron. Billy led Canisius with 15 points in a 85-61 loss. On Monday, the Orange will host Detroit, with NBA prospect Ray McCallum and his father, the head coach with the same name. Last year, the two helped Detroit win the Horizon league and a spot in the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1999. McCallum again leads the Titans in scoring, averaging 19.4 points per game on 48 percent shooting from the field, though Detroit has gone just 6-4 this year.
SCOUTING THE TITANS: The key for Detroit has been finding a steady second option behind McCallum. Senior guard Jason Calliste has been inconsistent this season, shooting a career-low 34 percent from the field. On some nights, he’s been worthy of the No. 1 option, scoring 24 points on 9 of 17 shooting in a 79-73 win over Toledo on Dec. 5. But he also went 0-9 from the field for 4 points in a 70-65 loss to Bowling Green on Nov. 27. He is second on the team in scoring at 13.2 ppg.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: The Orange are 4-1 all time against the Titans. The last time these two teams played was November 16, 2010. Scoop Jardine had a career-high 27 points and Rick Jackson 10 points and a career-best 22 rebounds in a 66-55 win.
GAME INFORMATION: Monday, Dec. 17 at 7 p.m. at the Carrier Dome. TV: ESPN2.
- Recruiting Roundup: Decision day for Hugh Davis, Syracuse re-offers Jo-El Shaw - May 26, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: 2018 running back Jawhar Jordan commits to Syracuse - May 25, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Marek Dolezaj to Syracuse, Meechi Harris narrows list to nine - May 24, 2017
- 2017 NBA Draft Profile: Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon - May 23, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse’s dream season ends with nightmare against Towson - May 22, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse to play Towson with trip to Final Four on the line - May 19, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army has meant ‘a lot’ to Syracuse basketball alums - May 17, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse rides Evan Molloy past Yale and into NCAA quarterfinals - May 15, 2017
- Syracuse basketball recruit Jordan Tucker commits to Duke - May 13, 2017
- McAnaney: Yale a ‘tough draw’ for Syracuse lacrosse as a two-seeed - May 12, 2017