Syracuse guard Michael Carter-Williams declined comment about a Post-Standard article on Friday, which reported that he had shoplifted from a Destiny USA department store last week.
“I’m here to talk about basketball, and that’s all I’m going to talk about,” Carter-Williams said following Syracuse’s 85-61 win over Canisius on Saturday night. “As soon as I step on the floor, it’s all about basketball.”
According to the article, Carter-Williams paid $500 to Lord & Taylor after he was caught shoplifting a bathrobe and gloves. The article cited two anonymous sources with knowledge of the situation.
Carter-Williams was not arrested, and the matter is closed as far as Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim is concerned.
“There’s nothing to be said. It’s been over,” Boeheim said. “Syracuse police have found nothing to investigate. The store is happy and satisfied with the result. Michael is satisfied with the result.”
Boeheim added that just because the paper printed it didn’t mean that it was true.
He mentioned Zach Tomaselli, who had previously accused former Syracuse assistant coach Bernie Fine of sexual abuse to the Post-Standard, and then later recanted.
“I hope that nobody thinks I’m going to take an anonymous source and take an action because of that anonymous source,” Boeheim said. “But I’m not going to take an action based on what’s in the paper, ever, I hope. If I do, shoot me. Because I will have stayed too long.”
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 74, Oakland 50 - November 20, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Louisville 56 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017