Syracuse guard Michael Carter-Williams declined comment about a Post-Standard article on Friday, which reported that he had shoplifted from a Destiny USA department store last week.
“I’m here to talk about basketball, and that’s all I’m going to talk about,” Carter-Williams said following Syracuse’s 85-61 win over Canisius on Saturday night. “As soon as I step on the floor, it’s all about basketball.”
According to the article, Carter-Williams paid $500 to Lord & Taylor after he was caught shoplifting a bathrobe and gloves. The article cited two anonymous sources with knowledge of the situation.
Carter-Williams was not arrested, and the matter is closed as far as Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim is concerned.
“There’s nothing to be said. It’s been over,” Boeheim said. “Syracuse police have found nothing to investigate. The store is happy and satisfied with the result. Michael is satisfied with the result.”
Boeheim added that just because the paper printed it didn’t mean that it was true.
He mentioned Zach Tomaselli, who had previously accused former Syracuse assistant coach Bernie Fine of sexual abuse to the Post-Standard, and then later recanted.
“I hope that nobody thinks I’m going to take an anonymous source and take an action because of that anonymous source,” Boeheim said. “But I’m not going to take an action based on what’s in the paper, ever, I hope. If I do, shoot me. Because I will have stayed too long.”
- Bailey: Syracuse fans ‘should be happy’ with incoming 2016 football class - February 5, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers Joel Honigford, Jairus Grissom, Izayah Green-May, JaVont’e Richardson - February 5, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Scout ranks Syracuse 43rd in average class stars - February 4, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse adds impressive class on 2016 National Signing Day - February 3, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: DeVaughn Cooper to choose between Syracuse, Arizona, Arizona State - February 3, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse loses out on Stewart Reese, Josh White - February 2, 2016
- Frank Howard dazzles as Syracuse rallies to defeat Georgia Tech - February 1, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Adrian Killins visits Syracuse, sets decision date - February 1, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 60, Georgia Tech 57 - January 30, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse, FSU, Mississippi State in running for elite OL Stewart Reese - January 29, 2016