Syracuse guard Michael Carter-Williams declined comment about a Post-Standard article on Friday, which reported that he had shoplifted from a Destiny USA department store last week.
“I’m here to talk about basketball, and that’s all I’m going to talk about,” Carter-Williams said following Syracuse’s 85-61 win over Canisius on Saturday night. “As soon as I step on the floor, it’s all about basketball.”
According to the article, Carter-Williams paid $500 to Lord & Taylor after he was caught shoplifting a bathrobe and gloves. The article cited two anonymous sources with knowledge of the situation.
Carter-Williams was not arrested, and the matter is closed as far as Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim is concerned.
“There’s nothing to be said. It’s been over,” Boeheim said. “Syracuse police have found nothing to investigate. The store is happy and satisfied with the result. Michael is satisfied with the result.”
Boeheim added that just because the paper printed it didn’t mean that it was true.
He mentioned Zach Tomaselli, who had previously accused former Syracuse assistant coach Bernie Fine of sexual abuse to the Post-Standard, and then later recanted.
“I hope that nobody thinks I’m going to take an anonymous source and take an action because of that anonymous source,” Boeheim said. “But I’m not going to take an action based on what’s in the paper, ever, I hope. If I do, shoot me. Because I will have stayed too long.”
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 7, Pitt 30 - November 22, 2014
- Kaleb Joseph shows growth as Syracuse edges Iowa - November 22, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 66, Iowa 63 - November 21, 2014
- Star 2015 forward Thomas Bryant to visit Kentucky — Cuse Clicks - November 21, 2014
- In loss to Cal, Syracuse basketball’s inexperience shows - November 21, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 59, California 73 - November 20, 2014
- Thomas Bryant considering Syracuse, Indiana and Missouri — Cuse Clicks - November 20, 2014
- Lake Forest Academy DL Wesley Annan commits to Stanford — Cuse Clicks - November 19, 2014
- Syracuse commit Moustapha Diagne among elite recruits at Burger King Classic — Cuse Clicks - November 17, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 89, Kennesaw State 42 - November 14, 2014