Syracuse guard Michael Carter-Williams declined comment about a Post-Standard article on Friday, which reported that he had shoplifted from a Destiny USA department store last week.
“I’m here to talk about basketball, and that’s all I’m going to talk about,” Carter-Williams said following Syracuse’s 85-61 win over Canisius on Saturday night. “As soon as I step on the floor, it’s all about basketball.”
According to the article, Carter-Williams paid $500 to Lord & Taylor after he was caught shoplifting a bathrobe and gloves. The article cited two anonymous sources with knowledge of the situation.
Carter-Williams was not arrested, and the matter is closed as far as Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim is concerned.
“There’s nothing to be said. It’s been over,” Boeheim said. “Syracuse police have found nothing to investigate. The store is happy and satisfied with the result. Michael is satisfied with the result.”
Boeheim added that just because the paper printed it didn’t mean that it was true.
He mentioned Zach Tomaselli, who had previously accused former Syracuse assistant coach Bernie Fine of sexual abuse to the Post-Standard, and then later recanted.
“I hope that nobody thinks I’m going to take an anonymous source and take an action because of that anonymous source,” Boeheim said. “But I’m not going to take an action based on what’s in the paper, ever, I hope. If I do, shoot me. Because I will have stayed too long.”
- Zaire Franklin — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - July 18, 2017
- Pittsburgh Panthers — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - July 17, 2017
- NC State Wolfpack — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - July 10, 2017
- Ryan Blackwell on Boeheim’s Army, Mike Hopkins leaving, favorite Syracuse moment - July 7, 2017
- LSU Tigers — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 29, 2017
- Scoop Bradshaw — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - June 26, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: NJ wide receiver Taj Harris commits to Syracuse - June 26, 2017
- Breaking down Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon’s selection by the Denver Nuggets - June 23, 2017
- Former Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon selected by Denver Nuggets in NBA Draft - June 22, 2017
- Central Michigan Chippewas — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 22, 2017