A quick take on Syracuse’s 108-56 win over Monmouth on Saturday night for Jim Boeheim’s 898th win:
WHAT HAPPENED: Monmouth hung with the Orange early, and actually took a 13-12 lead with 13:07 left in the first half after a Gary Cox dunk. From there, Trevor Cooney hit three 3-pointers and Syracuse forced 8 turnovers during a 33-7 as the Orange took a 57-28 lead into half. Syracuse continued their torrid pace in the second half, and actually sent fans home with free tacos at the 15:43 mark. For the game, SU shot 52 percent from the field and 11 for 29 from downtown.
ANALYSIS: Regardless of what Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim says, the Orange are expected to blowout these kind of teams early in the season. In these games, it is important to track the progress of the younger players as they ease into their roles. And each of Syracuse’s new additions played well. Trevor Cooney’s confidence with his outside shot is growing; Jerami Grant continued his push for playing time come conference play; Dajuan Coleman finished better inside and looked nimble playing wing; and Michael Carter-Williams cut down on his turnovers.
HERO: Carter-Williams finished with 15 points and 16 assists and just 3 turnovers, the third most assists in a single game in Syracuse history. He was one of three players (Coleman and CJ Fair were the other two) to have a double-double for the first time since March 5, 2008. Cooney finished with a career-high 15 points on 5-9 shooting from downtown.
ZERO: The Hawks shot just 33 percent from the field and 5 for 18 from beyond the arc and guard Dion Nesmith shot 2-10. They also committed 23 turnovers in the most lopsided loss they’ve had this season. If you want to nitpick, the Orange were 13-27 from the free throw line for 48 percent.
WHAT’S NEXT: The Orange have a full week off, and will play Canisius on Saturday, Dec. 8 at 7 p.m. TV: SNY.
- How will Syracuse F Michael Gbinije do with the Detroit Pistons? - July 25, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands commitment from 2017 LB Nadarius Fagan - July 25, 2016
- Boston College Eagles — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - July 22, 2016
- Instant Juice: Boeheim’s Army 84, The Untouchables 91 - July 21, 2016
- Steven Clark — Meet the 2016 Syracuse Football team - July 21, 2016
- How will Syracuse G Malachi Richardson do with the Sacramento Kings? - July 20, 2016
- Dontae Strickland — Meet the 2016 Syracuse Football team - July 15, 2016
- Former Syracuse LB Jake Flaherty: ‘It’s an exciting time for the program’ - July 14, 2016
- Virginia Tech Hokies — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - July 13, 2016
- Three takeaways from John Wildhack’s introductory press conference at Syracuse - July 12, 2016