A quick take on Syracuse’s 108-56 win over Monmouth on Saturday night for Jim Boeheim’s 898th win:
WHAT HAPPENED: Monmouth hung with the Orange early, and actually took a 13-12 lead with 13:07 left in the first half after a Gary Cox dunk. From there, Trevor Cooney hit three 3-pointers and Syracuse forced 8 turnovers during a 33-7 as the Orange took a 57-28 lead into half. Syracuse continued their torrid pace in the second half, and actually sent fans home with free tacos at the 15:43 mark. For the game, SU shot 52 percent from the field and 11 for 29 from downtown.
ANALYSIS: Regardless of what Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim says, the Orange are expected to blowout these kind of teams early in the season. In these games, it is important to track the progress of the younger players as they ease into their roles. And each of Syracuse’s new additions played well. Trevor Cooney’s confidence with his outside shot is growing; Jerami Grant continued his push for playing time come conference play; Dajuan Coleman finished better inside and looked nimble playing wing; and Michael Carter-Williams cut down on his turnovers.
HERO: Carter-Williams finished with 15 points and 16 assists and just 3 turnovers, the third most assists in a single game in Syracuse history. He was one of three players (Coleman and CJ Fair were the other two) to have a double-double for the first time since March 5, 2008. Cooney finished with a career-high 15 points on 5-9 shooting from downtown.
ZERO: The Hawks shot just 33 percent from the field and 5 for 18 from beyond the arc and guard Dion Nesmith shot 2-10. They also committed 23 turnovers in the most lopsided loss they’ve had this season. If you want to nitpick, the Orange were 13-27 from the free throw line for 48 percent.
WHAT’S NEXT: The Orange have a full week off, and will play Canisius on Saturday, Dec. 8 at 7 p.m. TV: SNY.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Holy Cross 48 - November 28, 2014
- Qaadir Sheppard sets three official visits, including Syracuse — Cuse Clicks - November 28, 2014
- What a Syracuse fan has to be thankful for on Thanksgiving - November 27, 2014
- 2016 wing VJ King taking things slowly with recruitment — Cuse Clicks - November 26, 2014
- 2016 forward Sedee Keita has several high-major offers — Cuse Clicks - November 25, 2014
- 2016 5-star point guard Kobi Simmons visits Kentucky — Cuse Clicks - November 24, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 7, Pitt 30 - November 22, 2014
- Kaleb Joseph shows growth as Syracuse edges Iowa - November 22, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 66, Iowa 63 - November 21, 2014
- Star 2015 forward Thomas Bryant to visit Kentucky — Cuse Clicks - November 21, 2014