A quick take on Syracuse’s 108-56 win over Monmouth on Saturday night for Jim Boeheim’s 898th win:
WHAT HAPPENED: Monmouth hung with the Orange early, and actually took a 13-12 lead with 13:07 left in the first half after a Gary Cox dunk. From there, Trevor Cooney hit three 3-pointers and Syracuse forced 8 turnovers during a 33-7 as the Orange took a 57-28 lead into half. Syracuse continued their torrid pace in the second half, and actually sent fans home with free tacos at the 15:43 mark. For the game, SU shot 52 percent from the field and 11 for 29 from downtown.
ANALYSIS: Regardless of what Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim says, the Orange are expected to blowout these kind of teams early in the season. In these games, it is important to track the progress of the younger players as they ease into their roles. And each of Syracuse’s new additions played well. Trevor Cooney’s confidence with his outside shot is growing; Jerami Grant continued his push for playing time come conference play; Dajuan Coleman finished better inside and looked nimble playing wing; and Michael Carter-Williams cut down on his turnovers.
HERO: Carter-Williams finished with 15 points and 16 assists and just 3 turnovers, the third most assists in a single game in Syracuse history. He was one of three players (Coleman and CJ Fair were the other two) to have a double-double for the first time since March 5, 2008. Cooney finished with a career-high 15 points on 5-9 shooting from downtown.
ZERO: The Hawks shot just 33 percent from the field and 5 for 18 from beyond the arc and guard Dion Nesmith shot 2-10. They also committed 23 turnovers in the most lopsided loss they’ve had this season. If you want to nitpick, the Orange were 13-27 from the free throw line for 48 percent.
WHAT’S NEXT: The Orange have a full week off, and will play Canisius on Saturday, Dec. 8 at 7 p.m. TV: SNY.
- Ohio State still involved in VJ King recruitment — Cuse Clicks - December 19, 2014
- Maryland, Wake Forest latest to offer Jamal Murray — Cuse Clicks - December 18, 2014
- Syracuse commit Malachi Richardson may be ‘best shooter’ in NJ — Cuse Clicks - December 17, 2014
- Syracuse picks up verbal from Pennsylvania TE/DE Amir Ealey — Cuse Clicks - December 15, 2014
- Kentucky still alive in Thomas Bryant sweepstakes — Cuse Clicks - December 11, 2014
- Breaking down the start to Syracuse basketball’s season - December 11, 2014
- Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski meets with Tyus Battle — Cuse Clicks - December 10, 2014
- Jamal Murray stars at Hoopfest, may reclassify to 2015 — Cuse Clicks - December 8, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 57, St. John’s 69 - December 6, 2014
- St. John’s Red Storm — 2014-15 Syracuse basketball scouting report with Storm the Paint - December 5, 2014