A quick take on Syracuse’s 108-56 win over Monmouth on Saturday night for Jim Boeheim’s 898th win:
WHAT HAPPENED: Monmouth hung with the Orange early, and actually took a 13-12 lead with 13:07 left in the first half after a Gary Cox dunk. From there, Trevor Cooney hit three 3-pointers and Syracuse forced 8 turnovers during a 33-7 as the Orange took a 57-28 lead into half. Syracuse continued their torrid pace in the second half, and actually sent fans home with free tacos at the 15:43 mark. For the game, SU shot 52 percent from the field and 11 for 29 from downtown.
ANALYSIS: Regardless of what Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim says, the Orange are expected to blowout these kind of teams early in the season. In these games, it is important to track the progress of the younger players as they ease into their roles. And each of Syracuse’s new additions played well. Trevor Cooney’s confidence with his outside shot is growing; Jerami Grant continued his push for playing time come conference play; Dajuan Coleman finished better inside and looked nimble playing wing; and Michael Carter-Williams cut down on his turnovers.
HERO: Carter-Williams finished with 15 points and 16 assists and just 3 turnovers, the third most assists in a single game in Syracuse history. He was one of three players (Coleman and CJ Fair were the other two) to have a double-double for the first time since March 5, 2008. Cooney finished with a career-high 15 points on 5-9 shooting from downtown.
ZERO: The Hawks shot just 33 percent from the field and 5 for 18 from beyond the arc and guard Dion Nesmith shot 2-10. They also committed 23 turnovers in the most lopsided loss they’ve had this season. If you want to nitpick, the Orange were 13-27 from the free throw line for 48 percent.
WHAT’S NEXT: The Orange have a full week off, and will play Canisius on Saturday, Dec. 8 at 7 p.m. TV: SNY.
- Recruiting Roundup: Decision day for Hugh Davis, Syracuse re-offers Jo-El Shaw - May 26, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: 2018 running back Jawhar Jordan commits to Syracuse - May 25, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Marek Dolezaj to Syracuse, Meechi Harris narrows list to nine - May 24, 2017
- 2017 NBA Draft Profile: Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon - May 23, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse’s dream season ends with nightmare against Towson - May 22, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse to play Towson with trip to Final Four on the line - May 19, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army has meant ‘a lot’ to Syracuse basketball alums - May 17, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse rides Evan Molloy past Yale and into NCAA quarterfinals - May 15, 2017
- Syracuse basketball recruit Jordan Tucker commits to Duke - May 13, 2017
- McAnaney: Yale a ‘tough draw’ for Syracuse lacrosse as a two-seeed - May 12, 2017