Charlotte Bobcats forward and Syracuse legend Hakim Warrick joined us on The Juice on the Cuse podcast on Tuesday to talk about his memories from Syracuse, his thoughts on the current team, and his career in the NBA.
Here are some of the highlights from the interview. Listen to the full podcast here.
The Juice Online: You’re teammates on Charlotte with Kemba Walker and Ben Gordon, who both went to UConn. Will you make a bet with them when the Huskies and Syracuse meet?
Hakim Warrick: Definitely. It’s automatic when your two teams play. You always have an automatic bet. I’m looking forward to it. Free money.
TJO: What do you guys bet?
HW: You’ve gotta wear the team’s… I’d bring in the teams shirt or hat or something like that. We haven’t discussed it yet, but whatever they want to do, I’m down for it. I don’t expect to lose.
TJO: When you see another player like a Wes Johnson or a Dion Waiters, do you guys talk about Syracuse, even though you never played with them?
HW: Definitely. It’s like a family. It’s not like most schools because from beginning of the Boeheim era all the way to now, everyone’s had one coach. You have some schools, you have different years, different coaching staffs, you have ties to the school, you have ties to a coach as well, but Syracuse is all the same coach and the same school. Whenever you see a fellow ‘Cuse player, you want to go out and show your love.
TJO: What do you think of this year’s team?
HW: I think it’s another deep team. We lost a lot of points and leadership. Last year, the team was so deep, but the guys we have coming back… Last year, everyone was asking me about Dion, the pro potential, I was telling everyone that I felt, the guy who had the biggest upside was Carter-Williams. I think he’s gonna have a big year, and so is the Cuse.
We also asked Hakim about his favorite dunk at Syracuse, “The Block” on Michael Lee, and where he keeps his championship ring. Be sure to check out the full interview.
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 30, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse begins recruitment of Billy Preston - September 30, 2016
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016