Syracuse employed a devastating full court press that changed the dynamic of the game—and the lead—in a 84-48 win over Eastern Michigan on Monday night.
The Orange looked flat in the first 5 minutes, and fell behind 10-3 with 14:59 in the first half. That’s when Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim switched to a full court press, and the team immediately responded.
Syracuse went on a 13-2 run, as the press caused nine turnovers. For the game, EMU coughed up the ball 23 times.
“I think we needed it, because we were all struggling,” Orange guard Brandon Triche said. “No player was playing well on our team. We just needed easy buckets to get everyone’s nerves to calm down. I think once we realized we were all struggling, we were all trying to rush a little bit, and try to seek shots. By playing hard on our press, we were able to get them in trouble a little bit and get easy buckets.”
One the easy points came, they came quickly, and often. Syracuse closed the half on a 32-5 run, and led 35-17 at intermission. The Orange then outscored EMU 49-31 in the second half.
“We have used it lately to try and get turnovers,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. “We haven’t used the press that often but I think we can use the press effectively sometimes. They had a couple of young guys and they made a couple of mistakes early and they got a little shell-shocked with the pressure and we got some big turnovers.”
- Clemson Tigers — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - July 25, 2017
- Zaire Franklin — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - July 18, 2017
- Pittsburgh Panthers — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - July 17, 2017
- NC State Wolfpack — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - July 10, 2017
- Ryan Blackwell on Boeheim’s Army, Mike Hopkins leaving, favorite Syracuse moment - July 7, 2017
- LSU Tigers — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 29, 2017
- Scoop Bradshaw — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - June 26, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: NJ wide receiver Taj Harris commits to Syracuse - June 26, 2017
- Breaking down Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon’s selection by the Denver Nuggets - June 23, 2017
- Former Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon selected by Denver Nuggets in NBA Draft - June 22, 2017