Syracuse employed a devastating full court press that changed the dynamic of the game—and the lead—in a 84-48 win over Eastern Michigan on Monday night.
The Orange looked flat in the first 5 minutes, and fell behind 10-3 with 14:59 in the first half. That’s when Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim switched to a full court press, and the team immediately responded.
Syracuse went on a 13-2 run, as the press caused nine turnovers. For the game, EMU coughed up the ball 23 times.
“I think we needed it, because we were all struggling,” Orange guard Brandon Triche said. “No player was playing well on our team. We just needed easy buckets to get everyone’s nerves to calm down. I think once we realized we were all struggling, we were all trying to rush a little bit, and try to seek shots. By playing hard on our press, we were able to get them in trouble a little bit and get easy buckets.”
One the easy points came, they came quickly, and often. Syracuse closed the half on a 32-5 run, and led 35-17 at intermission. The Orange then outscored EMU 49-31 in the second half.
“We have used it lately to try and get turnovers,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. “We haven’t used the press that often but I think we can use the press effectively sometimes. They had a couple of young guys and they made a couple of mistakes early and they got a little shell-shocked with the pressure and we got some big turnovers.”
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 TE Aaron Hackett down to Syracuse, USF - July 29, 2016
- Jason Emerich — Meet the 2016 Syracuse Football team - July 28, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Several 2017 Syracuse basketball targets to play in Entertainer’s Basketball Classic - July 28, 2016
- Clemson Tigers — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - July 27, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2018 defensive back Jarrett Paul to visit Syracuse on Thursday - July 26, 2016
- How will Syracuse F Michael Gbinije do with the Detroit Pistons? - July 25, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands commitment from 2017 LB Nadarius Fagan - July 25, 2016
- Boston College Eagles — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - July 22, 2016
- Instant Juice: Boeheim’s Army 84, The Untouchables 91 - July 21, 2016
- Steven Clark — Meet the 2016 Syracuse Football team - July 21, 2016