James Southerland was named Big East Player of the Week after his 35 point effort against Arkansas in the SEC/Big East challenge. Though the conference is going through a painful transition period, it did quite well against the SEC, posting a 9-3 record.
Pittburgh’s James Robinson was named rookie of the week. Ironically, both players come from teams that will depart the Big East following the 2012-13 season.
From the official release:
Southerland was chosen as BIG EAST Player of the Week after he scored a career-high 35 points — the most by a BIG EAST player in a game this season — to lead Syracuse to a 91-82 win at Arkansas as part of the SEC-BIG EAST Challenge. He shot 12-of-17 from the field and 9-of-13 from 3-point range, tying Gerry McNamara’s school record for 3-pointers in a game. Southerland leads the BIG EAST in 3-pointers made (3.6 per game) and is sixth in the conference in scoring at 19.2 ppg.
Here is the entire list for the week:
BIG EAST Player of the Week
JAMES SOUTHERLAND, Syracuse, F, Sr.
BIG EAST Rookie of the Week
JAMES ROBINSON, Pittsburgh, G, Fr.
BIG EAST Honor Roll
- CLEVELAND MELVIN, DePaul, F, Jr.
- ERIC ATKINS, Notre Dame, G, Jr.
- KADEEM BATTS, Providence, F, Jr.
- D’ANGELO HARRISON, St. John’s, G, So.
- ANTHONY COLLINS, USF, G, So.
- Two early season losses could be bad harbinger for Syracuse basketball - December 1, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 61, Pittsburgh 76 - November 26, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 101, South Carolina State 59 - November 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands commitment from Bourama Sidibe - November 22, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Monmouth 50 - November 18, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Quade Green between Syracuse, Kentucky; Lonnie Walker to Miami - November 17, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 Syracuse target Bourama Sidibe to announce Monday - November 16, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, Holy Cross 46 - November 15, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Oshae Brissett commits as Quade Green visits - November 14, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 83, Colgate 55 - November 11, 2016