James Southerland was named Big East Player of the Week after his 35 point effort against Arkansas in the SEC/Big East challenge. Though the conference is going through a painful transition period, it did quite well against the SEC, posting a 9-3 record.
Pittburgh’s James Robinson was named rookie of the week. Ironically, both players come from teams that will depart the Big East following the 2012-13 season.
From the official release:
Southerland was chosen as BIG EAST Player of the Week after he scored a career-high 35 points — the most by a BIG EAST player in a game this season — to lead Syracuse to a 91-82 win at Arkansas as part of the SEC-BIG EAST Challenge. He shot 12-of-17 from the field and 9-of-13 from 3-point range, tying Gerry McNamara’s school record for 3-pointers in a game. Southerland leads the BIG EAST in 3-pointers made (3.6 per game) and is sixth in the conference in scoring at 19.2 ppg.
Here is the entire list for the week:
BIG EAST Player of the Week
JAMES SOUTHERLAND, Syracuse, F, Sr.
BIG EAST Rookie of the Week
JAMES ROBINSON, Pittsburgh, G, Fr.
BIG EAST Honor Roll
- CLEVELAND MELVIN, DePaul, F, Jr.
- ERIC ATKINS, Notre Dame, G, Jr.
- KADEEM BATTS, Providence, F, Jr.
- D’ANGELO HARRISON, St. John’s, G, So.
- ANTHONY COLLINS, USF, G, So.
- Recruiting Roundup: Decision day for Hugh Davis, Syracuse re-offers Jo-El Shaw - May 26, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: 2018 running back Jawhar Jordan commits to Syracuse - May 25, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Marek Dolezaj to Syracuse, Meechi Harris narrows list to nine - May 24, 2017
- 2017 NBA Draft Profile: Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon - May 23, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse’s dream season ends with nightmare against Towson - May 22, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse to play Towson with trip to Final Four on the line - May 19, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army has meant ‘a lot’ to Syracuse basketball alums - May 17, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse rides Evan Molloy past Yale and into NCAA quarterfinals - May 15, 2017
- Syracuse basketball recruit Jordan Tucker commits to Duke - May 13, 2017
- McAnaney: Yale a ‘tough draw’ for Syracuse lacrosse as a two-seeed - May 12, 2017