Syracuse returns home to play the Eastern Michigan Eagles on Monday. Here is a scouting report for the game:
MIRROR IMAGE: Former Syracuse assistant coach Rob Murphy has brought a flavor of Central New York to Michigan. Whether it is former SU walk-on Jake Presutti being involved in basketball operations, or former SU center Da’Shonte Riley, who now starts for the Eagles, Murphy has done his best to emulate the Orange. The Eagles are off to a 5-1 start this season, allowing opponents to score just 52.7 points per game, good for seventh in the nation. That can be attributed to its 2-3 zone, and EMU’s ability to get out on the fast break—sound familiar?
SCOUTING THE EAGLES: Riley is a familiar name to the Orange and to some sports betting fans. He played in 17 games as a freshman in 2009-10, and played key minutes in SU’s NCAA tournament run after an injury to Arinze Onuaku. Since then, he has blossomed into a solid contributor for EMU. In the Eagles’ 75-57 win over NAIA Madonna (Mich.), Riley led the way with a career-high 13 rebounds, to go with seven points and five blocks. He’s averaging 3.8 points, 7.2 boards and 2.5 blocks while manning the middle of the zone. Daylen Harrison leads the team with 14.2 points and 7.0 rebounds a game. The athletic 6-6 wing is hitting 40 percent of his 3s and 51.9 percent of his shots.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: This will be the third meeting between the two teams. Last season, the Orange cruised past Murphy’s team, 84-48, behind James Southerland’s 19 points on 3 of 6 shooting from downtown. Kris Joseph chipped in 11 points as the Orange took control with an 18-3 run. The Eagles won the first ever meeting between the two schools, 68-65 on December 14, 1996.
GAME INFORMATION: Monday, Dec. 3, 7 p.m. at Syracuse. TV: ESPNU.
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands commitment from graduate transfer John Gillon - May 2, 2016
- North Carolina Tar Heels — 2016 Syracuse ACC Tournament scouting report - April 29, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: John Gillon names Syracuse to top 3, will visit - April 29, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Spike Albrecht to visit Syracuse after Grant Mullins commits to Cal - April 28, 2016
- Will Malachi Richardson return to Syracuse and other burning questions for 2016-17 season - April 27, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes top 10 for Cheickna Dembele; Taurean Thompson to visit - April 27, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 big man Simi Shittu, 2017 guard Ethan Thompson - April 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Quade Green ‘probably’ will take unofficial visit to Syracuse - April 25, 2016
- 2015-16 Syracuse basketball report card - April 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers Dorian Hardy; Jordan Tucker to visit Indiana - April 22, 2016