Syracuse will be headed to the New Era Pinstripe Bowl for the second time in three years, the school announced Sunday evening.
The Orange defeated Kansas State in the inaugural Pinstripe Bowl, 36-34, in 2010. Syracuse earned the right to play in the game by going 5-1 in its final six games. The game will be on December 29 in Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, NY at 3:15 pm, and aired on ESPN. SU was co-champions of the Big East with Louisville, Cincinnati and Rutgers after finishing with a 5-2 record in Big East play, and 7-5 overall.
Syracuse will play an as-yet named team from the Big 12, which would be the seventh selection from from that conference. The possible teams include Texas Tech, TCU, West Virginia or Baylor, all finishing with 7-5 overall records.
“On behalf of Syracuse University, the athletics department and our football program, we are honored to have been selected to participate in this prestigious Bowl game,” said Syracuse Director of Athletics Dr. Daryl Gross in a release. “What an honor to be invited to the New Era Pinstripe Bowl and once again be affiliated with the Yankee organization, which we consider the greatest sports franchise in history. We are so proud of head coach Doug Marrone, his staff and the team. We are honored and thrilled to represent in this fabulous bowl game in Yankee Stadium as co-Big East champions in football. I can’t think of a better place to showcase New York’s college team. This is a fabulous opportunity for our institution, as many alums live in the area and our fans can descend upon New York City for the holidays. We are looking forward to a great bowl week and an extraordinary game.”
“We are thrilled to be invited to the New Era Pinstripe Bowl for the second time in three years,” Marrone said. “It means a great deal to us to play a bowl game in Yankee Stadium where many of our alumni and fans will have the opportunity to share it with us. New York State is the foundation of our program. I am proud of this team for the way it fought through early-season adversity to win five of the last six games and win a share of the BIG EAST championship. It is great for our team, and particularly our seniors, to have the chance to play one more game. This senior class has given so much to our program on and off the field and will be great ambassadors for our program and University.”
- Syracuse lacrosse goalie Bobby Wardwell: Team motivated to win championship - March 26, 2015
- Syracuse bound Moustapha Diagne’s team loses in T of C — Cuse Clicks - March 24, 2015
- Report: Ron Patterson, BJ Johnson to transfer from Syracuse - March 19, 2015
- 2014-15 Syracuse basketball team report card - March 17, 2015
- Texas Tech jumps into Sedee Keita sweepstakes — Cuse Clicks - March 16, 2015
- Syracuse lacrosse rallies for win over Johns Hopkins - March 15, 2015
- Scholarship situation still unclear with Syracuse’s recruitment of Thomas Bryant - March 13, 2015
- Moustapha Diagne puts aside Syracuse distractions as team wins North A Title — Cuse Clicks - March 12, 2015
- A quick look at the 2015-16 Syracuse basketball team - March 12, 2015
- Thomas Bryant takes in Indiana game over the weekend — Cuse Clicks - March 9, 2015