Here are 10 things we learned from Syracuse’s 38-20 win over Temple on Friday afternoon to finish its time in the Big East:
1. The Orange leave the Big East on a winning note, with a 38-20 win over Temple. They improve to 7-5 (5-2) after being left for dead at 2-4 back on October 13. Syracuse finishes 76-75 all-time in Big East play.
2. Doug Marrone deserves serious Big East Coach of the Year consideration. He was slighted two years ago in favor of then-Connecticut head coach Randy Edsall.
3. Milestones: Alec Lemon set the record for most catches in a season with 70; Jerome Smith became just the 16th Orange tailback to rush for 1,000 yards in a season.
4. The Orange struggled early, turning the ball over twice in the first quarter, but settled down and forced four Owl turnovers.
5. Efficient offense: the Orange amassed 475 total yards, including a balanced passing (215) and rushing (260) attack. Syracuse held the ball for just over 27 minutes and scored 38 points, averaging roughly 3 minutes per offensive scoring drive.
6. Keon Lyn put the game away with just over two minutes left in the 4th quarter, intercepting Temple QB Clinton Granger and returning it 31 yards for a touchdown. It was the first of Lyn’s two fourth quarter interceptions.
7. Syracuse has a solid rushing attack. Adonis Ameen-Moore, Prince Tyson-Gulley and Jerome Smith combined for 262 yards on the ground.
8. After running all over Army last weekend in West Point for 351 yards, Montel Harris was limited to just 106 yards on the ground by the Orange defense.
9. It’s been there all season long and isn’t leaving my 10 Things until they improve on it: the Orange were flagged 10 times for for 89 yards.
10. I’m not sure Syracuse fans really appreciate what they have in Ryan Nassib. The senior QB finished the year 283 of 448 for 3,619 yards and 24 touchdowns becoming the school’s all-time leading passer in last week’s 31-27 win at Missouri. He’s just the fourth Big East quarterback to pass the 9,000-yard mark in his career with 9,060 yards.Micah Tannenbaum