Syracuse will win its last two games of the regular season and head to a bowl game, former Syracuse quarterback and current SNY football analyst Don McPherson said on The Juice on the Cuse podcast on Thursday.
McPherson, a former Maxwell Award winner at Syracuse, thinks the win against Louisville has given the Orange the late momentum necessary to clinch a spot in the postseason for the second time in three years.
“I think they’ll carry that momentum,” McPherson said. “Missouri will be tough. I think they’ll pull that out and I think they can get past Temple as well.”
Syracuse’s win on Saturday over previously undefeated and then-No. 9 Louisville was a huge factor for McPherson’s reasoning. It also plays a big role as the program continues to dig itself out from the Greg Robinson era.
“That was a big game for lots of reasons,” McPherson said. “It gets us to the path to bowl eligibility, but it also gets us back to respectibility back for this program.”
Still, the win wasn’t enough to fully secure Marrone’s job, especially in a scanrio where Syracuse drops its last two games and finishes out of the bowl picture at 5-7.
That being said, McPherson believed that Marrone was the right person for the job as SU transitions into the ACC in 2013.
“Overall I don’t know if he’s on the hot seat yet,” McPherson said. “But I think you need stability going into the ACC so I think he’s going to be OK.”
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Mike Hopkins to leave Syracuse, take over at Washington - March 19, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Chris Carlson on the NIT, 2017 basketball recruiting, Greensboro - March 17, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, UNC Greensboro 77 - March 15, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse basketball left out of NCAA Tournament - March 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse surges, sputters, then hangs on for win against St. John’s - March 12, 2017
- Jim Boeheim pleads case for Syracuse after ACC Tournament loss - March 9, 2017
- Syracuse coach says there’s ‘no value’ in playing ACC Tournament in Greensboro - March 8, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 57, Miami 62 - March 8, 2017