Syracuse will win its last two games of the regular season and head to a bowl game, former Syracuse quarterback and current SNY football analyst Don McPherson said on The Juice on the Cuse podcast on Thursday.
McPherson, a former Maxwell Award winner at Syracuse, thinks the win against Louisville has given the Orange the late momentum necessary to clinch a spot in the postseason for the second time in three years.
“I think they’ll carry that momentum,” McPherson said. “Missouri will be tough. I think they’ll pull that out and I think they can get past Temple as well.”
Syracuse’s win on Saturday over previously undefeated and then-No. 9 Louisville was a huge factor for McPherson’s reasoning. It also plays a big role as the program continues to dig itself out from the Greg Robinson era.
“That was a big game for lots of reasons,” McPherson said. “It gets us to the path to bowl eligibility, but it also gets us back to respectibility back for this program.”
Still, the win wasn’t enough to fully secure Marrone’s job, especially in a scanrio where Syracuse drops its last two games and finishes out of the bowl picture at 5-7.
That being said, McPherson believed that Marrone was the right person for the job as SU transitions into the ACC in 2013.
“Overall I don’t know if he’s on the hot seat yet,” McPherson said. “But I think you need stability going into the ACC so I think he’s going to be OK.”
- Zaire Franklin — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - July 18, 2017
- Pittsburgh Panthers — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - July 17, 2017
- NC State Wolfpack — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - July 10, 2017
- Ryan Blackwell on Boeheim’s Army, Mike Hopkins leaving, favorite Syracuse moment - July 7, 2017
- LSU Tigers — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 29, 2017
- Scoop Bradshaw — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - June 26, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: NJ wide receiver Taj Harris commits to Syracuse - June 26, 2017
- Breaking down Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon’s selection by the Denver Nuggets - June 23, 2017
- Former Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon selected by Denver Nuggets in NBA Draft - June 22, 2017
- Central Michigan Chippewas — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 22, 2017