Syracuse will win its last two games of the regular season and head to a bowl game, former Syracuse quarterback and current SNY football analyst Don McPherson said on The Juice on the Cuse podcast on Thursday.
McPherson, a former Maxwell Award winner at Syracuse, thinks the win against Louisville has given the Orange the late momentum necessary to clinch a spot in the postseason for the second time in three years.
“I think they’ll carry that momentum,” McPherson said. “Missouri will be tough. I think they’ll pull that out and I think they can get past Temple as well.”
Syracuse’s win on Saturday over previously undefeated and then-No. 9 Louisville was a huge factor for McPherson’s reasoning. It also plays a big role as the program continues to dig itself out from the Greg Robinson era.
“That was a big game for lots of reasons,” McPherson said. “It gets us to the path to bowl eligibility, but it also gets us back to respectibility back for this program.”
Still, the win wasn’t enough to fully secure Marrone’s job, especially in a scanrio where Syracuse drops its last two games and finishes out of the bowl picture at 5-7.
That being said, McPherson believed that Marrone was the right person for the job as SU transitions into the ACC in 2013.
“Overall I don’t know if he’s on the hot seat yet,” McPherson said. “But I think you need stability going into the ACC so I think he’s going to be OK.”
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 76, Boston College 53 - January 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 73, Virginia Tech 83 - January 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, Pittsburgh 66 - January 7, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 70, Miami 55 - January 4, 2017
- Kouwe: Syracuse basketball ‘will get better from here’ - January 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 81, Boston College 96 - January 1, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Cornell 56 - December 27, 2016
- Cornell Big Red — 2016-17 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - December 26, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 60, St. John’s 93 - December 21, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Georgetown 78 - December 17, 2016