SAN DIEGO — A quick take on Syracuse’s 62-49 win against No. 20 San Diego State aboard the USS Midway on Sunday afternoon:
WHAT HAPPENED: The Orange jumped out to an early 17-4 lead after CJ Fair scored a quick 9 points in the first nine minutes. The Orange would keep that double digit lead going into halftime taking a 33-19 lead into break. SDSU would never cut the lead under double digits in the second half, though the lead also never ballooned past 16.
ANALYSIS: The Aztecs had all sorts of problems with a suffocating Syracuse defense. The Orange caused 16 turnovers and SDSU shot just 27 percent from the field. Still, the Orange were sloppy as well, as the team combined for 18 turnovers and they shot just 42 percent. Syracuse mostly kept the ball inside and pounded the basket on drives with the wind playing a factor on longer distance shots. The Orange scored 44 points in the paint and attempted just 4 3-pointers. SDSU had trouble with SU’s length and was just 1 for 14 from downtown on a breezy day on the flight deck of the USS Midway.
HERO: Michael Carter-Williams stuffed the stat sheet with 17 points, 5 steals, four assists and 4 rebounds before fouling out. Fair finished with 17 points and 9 boards. The Orange also held a 10-2 advantage in the block category with Rakeem Christmas picking up five of them.
ZERO: Mountain West Player of the Year Jamaal Franklin couldn’t figure out the SU zone and was just 3 for 12 from the field with 7 turnovers and 11 points. He also missed all 5 of his 3-point attempts. Chase Tapley was just 3-13 from the field for 8 points.
WHAT’S NEXT: The Orange will return to the Carrier Dome on Nov. 18 at 1 p.m. against Wagner.
- Clemson Tigers — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - July 25, 2017
- Zaire Franklin — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - July 18, 2017
- Pittsburgh Panthers — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - July 17, 2017
- NC State Wolfpack — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - July 10, 2017
- Ryan Blackwell on Boeheim’s Army, Mike Hopkins leaving, favorite Syracuse moment - July 7, 2017
- LSU Tigers — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 29, 2017
- Scoop Bradshaw — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - June 26, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: NJ wide receiver Taj Harris commits to Syracuse - June 26, 2017
- Breaking down Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon’s selection by the Denver Nuggets - June 23, 2017
- Former Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon selected by Denver Nuggets in NBA Draft - June 22, 2017