SAN DIEGO — A quick take on Syracuse’s 62-49 win against No. 20 San Diego State aboard the USS Midway on Sunday afternoon:
WHAT HAPPENED: The Orange jumped out to an early 17-4 lead after CJ Fair scored a quick 9 points in the first nine minutes. The Orange would keep that double digit lead going into halftime taking a 33-19 lead into break. SDSU would never cut the lead under double digits in the second half, though the lead also never ballooned past 16.
ANALYSIS: The Aztecs had all sorts of problems with a suffocating Syracuse defense. The Orange caused 16 turnovers and SDSU shot just 27 percent from the field. Still, the Orange were sloppy as well, as the team combined for 18 turnovers and they shot just 42 percent. Syracuse mostly kept the ball inside and pounded the basket on drives with the wind playing a factor on longer distance shots. The Orange scored 44 points in the paint and attempted just 4 3-pointers. SDSU had trouble with SU’s length and was just 1 for 14 from downtown on a breezy day on the flight deck of the USS Midway.
HERO: Michael Carter-Williams stuffed the stat sheet with 17 points, 5 steals, four assists and 4 rebounds before fouling out. Fair finished with 17 points and 9 boards. The Orange also held a 10-2 advantage in the block category with Rakeem Christmas picking up five of them.
ZERO: Mountain West Player of the Year Jamaal Franklin couldn’t figure out the SU zone and was just 3 for 12 from the field with 7 turnovers and 11 points. He also missed all 5 of his 3-point attempts. Chase Tapley was just 3-13 from the field for 8 points.
WHAT’S NEXT: The Orange will return to the Carrier Dome on Nov. 18 at 1 p.m. against Wagner.
- Bailey: Syracuse fans ‘should be happy’ with incoming 2016 football class - February 5, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers Joel Honigford, Jairus Grissom, Izayah Green-May, JaVont’e Richardson - February 5, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Scout ranks Syracuse 43rd in average class stars - February 4, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse adds impressive class on 2016 National Signing Day - February 3, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: DeVaughn Cooper to choose between Syracuse, Arizona, Arizona State - February 3, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse loses out on Stewart Reese, Josh White - February 2, 2016
- Frank Howard dazzles as Syracuse rallies to defeat Georgia Tech - February 1, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Adrian Killins visits Syracuse, sets decision date - February 1, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 60, Georgia Tech 57 - January 30, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse, FSU, Mississippi State in running for elite OL Stewart Reese - January 29, 2016