SAN DIEGO — A quick take on Syracuse’s 62-49 win against No. 20 San Diego State aboard the USS Midway on Sunday afternoon:
WHAT HAPPENED: The Orange jumped out to an early 17-4 lead after CJ Fair scored a quick 9 points in the first nine minutes. The Orange would keep that double digit lead going into halftime taking a 33-19 lead into break. SDSU would never cut the lead under double digits in the second half, though the lead also never ballooned past 16.
ANALYSIS: The Aztecs had all sorts of problems with a suffocating Syracuse defense. The Orange caused 16 turnovers and SDSU shot just 27 percent from the field. Still, the Orange were sloppy as well, as the team combined for 18 turnovers and they shot just 42 percent. Syracuse mostly kept the ball inside and pounded the basket on drives with the wind playing a factor on longer distance shots. The Orange scored 44 points in the paint and attempted just 4 3-pointers. SDSU had trouble with SU’s length and was just 1 for 14 from downtown on a breezy day on the flight deck of the USS Midway.
HERO: Michael Carter-Williams stuffed the stat sheet with 17 points, 5 steals, four assists and 4 rebounds before fouling out. Fair finished with 17 points and 9 boards. The Orange also held a 10-2 advantage in the block category with Rakeem Christmas picking up five of them.
ZERO: Mountain West Player of the Year Jamaal Franklin couldn’t figure out the SU zone and was just 3 for 12 from the field with 7 turnovers and 11 points. He also missed all 5 of his 3-point attempts. Chase Tapley was just 3-13 from the field for 8 points.
WHAT’S NEXT: The Orange will return to the Carrier Dome on Nov. 18 at 1 p.m. against Wagner.
- NCAA Appeals Committee restores four scholarships to Syracuse basketball - November 25, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Taurean Thompson likes Syracuse, picks up NC State offer - November 25, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: How does Shafer firing affect Syracuse recruits? - November 24, 2015
- Syracuse fires football coach Scott Shafer - November 23, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse one of two recruiting Taurean Thompson hardest - November 23, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 66, Elon 55 - November 21, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 29, NC State 42 - November 21, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Judge Culpepper, brother of Rex, picks up Syracuse offer - November 20, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Tyus Battle calls Syracuse signing ’emotional’ - November 19, 2015
- 2018 defensive back Jarrett Paul describes ‘great’ visit to Syracuse - November 19, 2015