Though the Aztecs were bounced in the NCAA’s second round last season after a 26-8 year, Steve Fisher’s group is gaining the mentality that it’s no longer just enough to make the tournament.
WHO RETURNS: The good news for San Diego State is that they have the ingredients for a deep NCAA run. Fisher returns an experienced team including Mountain West Player of the Year Jamaal Franklin, and guards Xavier Thames and Chase Tapley. The trio accounted for more than 58 percent of SDSU’s offense last season, which, coincidentally, is the percentage of offense that Syracuse lost from its squad last year. Though Franklin led the team with 17.4 ppg and 7.9 rpg, he was a bit turnover happy, averaging 3.0 a game. But he’s vowed to cut down on the silly mistakes while looking more for his teammates. Meanwhile, the Orange will need to extend its 2-3 zone out to Tapley, who drained 77 3-pointers last year.
NEWCOMERS: Fisher also adds three Division I transfers, including rangy wing Dwayne Polee II (St. John’s), and forward JJ O’Brien from Utah. O’Brien, a 6’7″ power forward gives the Aztecs some desperately needed size (San Diego State’s tallest player, DeShawn Stephens, is just 6’8″). James Johnson, from Virginia, will help out in that department as well, but won’t be available until December. Meanwhile, freshman forward Winston Shepard has the chance to contribute right away.
REMEMBER ME?: One of Fisher’s assistant coaches is former SU player Tony Bland. Bland played two seasons on The Hill and started every game in his sophomore season, but transferred to San Diego State after his playing time dropped with guards Preston Shumpert, DeShaun Willliams, Allen Griffin and Jason Hart on the roster. Bland finished his college career with 1,368 points and would go on to play professionally in the USBL, the NBDL and in Europe.
- Syracuse target Alterique Gilbert to commit Saturday — Cuse Clicks - July 3, 2015
- ESPN’s McMenamin breaks down former Syracuse basketball stars’ NBA chances - July 2, 2015
- Coach says 2017 Syracuse commit Daewood Davis will ‘stretch the field’ — Cuse Clicks - July 1, 2015
- South Florida Bulls — 2015 Syracuse Football preview - July 1, 2015
- Syracuse picks up first 2017 commit with Daewood Davis — Cuse Clicks - June 30, 2015
- Tyus Battle likes Syracuse ‘a lot’ after his official visit — Cuse Clicks - June 29, 2015
- Syracuse target Christian Colon commits to Penn State — Cuse Clicks - June 26, 2015
- Rakeem Christmas credits Syracuse, Jim Boeheim after being drafted - June 26, 2015
- Chris McCullough predicts November return to Brooklyn Nets - June 26, 2015
- Former Syracuse center Rakeem Christmas lands with Cleveland Cavaliers - June 25, 2015