In the days leading up to each SU football game, The Juice Online will address questions about the team in our “Kickoff Countdown” segment.
Today’s question: Doug Marrone called Teddy Bridgewater the best quarterback SU will face this season. Can Syracuse contain him?
Move over, Matt Barkley and USC.
Of all the teams Syracuse will be facing this season, SU coach Doug Marrone believes Louisville, led by quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, will be the most difficult matchup for the Orange.
“It’s the best football team that we will have played so far,” Marrone said during his weekly Big East teleconference. “With the tough out of conference schedule, the quarterback, Teddy Bridgewater, is the best quarterback that we’ll face for the season.”
Marrone certainly has an argument for Bridgewater. The sophomore is already considered a Heisman candidate in his young career, and has thrown for 2434 yards and 18 touchdowns to just four interceptions. Barkley has more yards (2750) and touchdowns (30), but also more interceptions (10).
And the scary part? Bridgewater has significantly improved since his freshman year.
“He really has. He can extend plays and keep his eyes down the field,” Marrone said. “He can move around in the pocket. He can make all of the throws. I think he has an excellent touch putting it into tight windows and doing the things you really look for at that position.”
Bridgewater has also shown mobility in the pocket, carrying the ball 10 times for 74 yards in a 27-25 win over USF on Oct. 20.
It will be difficult assignment for a defense that has come in allowing over 400 yards in the past two games.
“We’re going to have to play a near perfect game to even give us an opportunity to beat them,” Marrone said.
- NCAA Appeals Committee restores four scholarships to Syracuse basketball - November 25, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Taurean Thompson likes Syracuse, picks up NC State offer - November 25, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: How does Shafer firing affect Syracuse recruits? - November 24, 2015
- Syracuse fires football coach Scott Shafer - November 23, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse one of two recruiting Taurean Thompson hardest - November 23, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 66, Elon 55 - November 21, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 29, NC State 42 - November 21, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Judge Culpepper, brother of Rex, picks up Syracuse offer - November 20, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Tyus Battle calls Syracuse signing ’emotional’ - November 19, 2015
- 2018 defensive back Jarrett Paul describes ‘great’ visit to Syracuse - November 19, 2015