In the days leading up to each SU football game, The Juice Online will address questions about the team in our “Kickoff Countdown” segment.
Today’s question: Doug Marrone called Teddy Bridgewater the best quarterback SU will face this season. Can Syracuse contain him?
Move over, Matt Barkley and USC.
Of all the teams Syracuse will be facing this season, SU coach Doug Marrone believes Louisville, led by quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, will be the most difficult matchup for the Orange.
“It’s the best football team that we will have played so far,” Marrone said during his weekly Big East teleconference. “With the tough out of conference schedule, the quarterback, Teddy Bridgewater, is the best quarterback that we’ll face for the season.”
Marrone certainly has an argument for Bridgewater. The sophomore is already considered a Heisman candidate in his young career, and has thrown for 2434 yards and 18 touchdowns to just four interceptions. Barkley has more yards (2750) and touchdowns (30), but also more interceptions (10).
And the scary part? Bridgewater has significantly improved since his freshman year.
“He really has. He can extend plays and keep his eyes down the field,” Marrone said. “He can move around in the pocket. He can make all of the throws. I think he has an excellent touch putting it into tight windows and doing the things you really look for at that position.”
Bridgewater has also shown mobility in the pocket, carrying the ball 10 times for 74 yards in a 27-25 win over USF on Oct. 20.
It will be difficult assignment for a defense that has come in allowing over 400 yards in the past two games.
“We’re going to have to play a near perfect game to even give us an opportunity to beat them,” Marrone said.
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 OLB Tyshon Fogg showing interest in Syracuse - October 7, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: QB Lindsey Scott commits to Syracuse - October 6, 2015
- Weekend Recruiting Roundup: Christopher Clark down to Syracuse, Pittsburgh - October 5, 2015
- Against ranked opponent, Zack Mahoney outdueled Syracuse predecessors - October 2, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers Zachary Sweeney, KJ Britt, Florida trio - October 2, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 OL Kadeem Telfort offered by Syracuse - October 1, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Chris Clark will visit Syracuse; Kevin Knox nets SU offer - September 30, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Jarrett Paul, Amir Watts set visit dates to Syracuse - September 29, 2015
- Syracuse 24, LSU 34 — What we learned - September 28, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Green enjoys visit to Syracuse; Gardner nets SU offer - September 28, 2015