A lack of a sponsor may lead to Syracuse’s game with San Diego State aboard the USS Midway being canceled, according to a report from the San Diego Union-Tribune.
The teams were originally set to kick off the college basketball season on the aircraft carrier on Nov. 9, at 7 p.m. and it was scheduled to be televised by on Fox Sports. But the game has not landed a sponsor and several events preceding the game have already been canceled, according to the report.
The teams could change venues to the 14,000-seat Valley View Casino Center (formerly San Diego Sports Arena), but the report said it would seem unlikely that Syracuse, which “rarely leaves New York during the nonconference season” would play in what would amount to an away game, according to the report.
An final announcement is expected in the next few days. Syracuse University officials had no comment on the possible cancellation.
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016