A lack of a sponsor may lead to Syracuse’s game with San Diego State aboard the USS Midway being canceled, according to a report from the San Diego Union-Tribune.
The teams were originally set to kick off the college basketball season on the aircraft carrier on Nov. 9, at 7 p.m. and it was scheduled to be televised by on Fox Sports. But the game has not landed a sponsor and several events preceding the game have already been canceled, according to the report.
The teams could change venues to the 14,000-seat Valley View Casino Center (formerly San Diego Sports Arena), but the report said it would seem unlikely that Syracuse, which “rarely leaves New York during the nonconference season” would play in what would amount to an away game, according to the report.
An final announcement is expected in the next few days. Syracuse University officials had no comment on the possible cancellation.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017