With the New York Knicks about to start the 2012-13 season, we sat down with basketball reporter Mike Scotto RealGM.com and SNYNets.com break down former Syracuse star Carmelo Anthony and the Knicks’ chances.
TJO: Will Carmelo Anthony “sacrifice” for the better of the team?
MS: Carmelo Anthony proved under coach Woodson that he can improve as a defender and increase his rebounding. However, on offense Anthony will be the focal point of the offense in isolation plays on the wing. He said during Knicks Media Day that he wants to move away from scoring 30-40 points a night as he did towards the end of last season. If Amare Stoudemire returns healthy, Anthony won’t have to carry the offense entirely on his own.
TJO: What kind of stats are we going to see from ‘Melo this year?
MS: I see Carmelo Anthony averaging 25 points, 7 rebounds, and 3 assists per game.
TJO: How do you think the Knicks will do this season?
MS: The Knicks have a deeper, but older team than last season. The Knicks will ultimately go as far as Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire take them. Raymond Felton will be the x-factor for the Knicks because he must rejuvenate Stoudemire in the pick-and-roll game and replace Jeremy Lin and the memories of “Linsanity.”
TJO: What is your overall prediction for the team?
MS: I see that Knicks as a fringe contender falling anywhere between the 4-6 seeds and they’ll either be bounced in the first round or make it to the second round depending upon the opponent.
- Mixed Juice: 2016 Syracuse football predictions - August 19, 2016
- Mixed Juice: Who will start for 2016-17 Syracuse basketball? - July 29, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse: Parity is the new normal - May 23, 2016
- Thoughts on athletic director Mark Coyle’s departure from Syracuse - May 12, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse: ACC Tournament predictions - April 28, 2016
- SNY.tv Video: Zagoria breaks down Syracuse basketball’s loss against North Carolina - April 3, 2016
- Part II — Syracuse basketball Final Four Predictions - March 31, 2016
- Syracuse basketball: Final Four Predictions Part I - March 30, 2016
- SNY.tv Video: Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim discusses win over Virginia - March 28, 2016
- A look at the Sweet 16 - March 23, 2016