Item: This lame duck season in the Big East has us yearning for the ACC.
It’s the final go-round in a wide-open Big East football race (and make no mistake, neither Syracuse or Pittsburgh are going to get any favors from the Big East office and new commissioner Mike Aresco from now until May 2013), with a BCS bid there for the taking and perhaps Louisville, Cincinnati and South Florida the early clubhouse favorites heading into week two of the football season.
While all Orange eyes are cast upon Met Life Stadium Saturday afternoon to get a chance to measure just how SU might fare in its Big East swan song by taking on ultra-talented, second-ranked Southern California, our focus has been directed southward when it comes to which conference we’re following closely each week in addition to the Orange’s scheduled opponents.
To us, it’s not so much about the Cardinals, Bearcats or Bulls as it is about Florida State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, and Georgia Tech, the highest ranked ACC teams this week, two of which, the number 6 Seminoles and the number 12 Tigers, will become annual conference foes.
In addition, depending on the luck of the computer, there could be seasons in which one or both of the aforementioned “Techs” are on the slate as well. That’s a tough schedule.
What an overall upgrade moving to the ACC Atlantic with the ‘Noles and Death Valley Tigers added to N.C. State. Boston College, Wake Forest, Maryland and Pittsburgh guaranteed each season.
Throw in the additional two teams from the Coastal (besides the Hokies and Yellow Jackets) among Miami, Virginia, North Carolina and Duke making a difficult path to navigate to a bowl game and to be consistently in the top half (1st through 7th) of the league standings.
At least the ‘Cuse knows it will have five ACC home games in 2013 (odd years) and four on the road, and we can’t wait until it gets started next season.
- Orange Watch: A pleasure to finally meet Syracuse coach Dino Babers - September 27, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 - September 24, 2016
- Orange Watch: Tough to be patient with Syracuse in world of Power Five - September 20, 2016
- Orange Watch: The top quarterbacks to play against Syracuse in Carrier Dome history - September 13, 2016
- Orange Watch: If “Orange is the new fast” for Syracuse football, keep it coming - September 6, 2016
- Orange Watch: Part II, 2016 Syracuse football game-by-game previews and predictions - August 26, 2016
- Orange Watch: Part I, 2016 Syracuse football game-by-game previews and predictions - August 23, 2016
- Orange Watch: Will new Hall of Famer Marvin Harrison return to Syracuse this season? - August 9, 2016
- Orange Watch: NCAA graduate transfer rule could alter 2016-17 Syracuse basketball - July 26, 2016
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football will benefit from new AD, football coach, Carrier Dome - July 12, 2016