Item: This lame duck season in the Big East has us yearning for the ACC.
It’s the final go-round in a wide-open Big East football race (and make no mistake, neither Syracuse or Pittsburgh are going to get any favors from the Big East office and new commissioner Mike Aresco from now until May 2013), with a BCS bid there for the taking and perhaps Louisville, Cincinnati and South Florida the early clubhouse favorites heading into week two of the football season.
While all Orange eyes are cast upon Met Life Stadium Saturday afternoon to get a chance to measure just how SU might fare in its Big East swan song by taking on ultra-talented, second-ranked Southern California, our focus has been directed southward when it comes to which conference we’re following closely each week in addition to the Orange’s scheduled opponents.
To us, it’s not so much about the Cardinals, Bearcats or Bulls as it is about Florida State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, and Georgia Tech, the highest ranked ACC teams this week, two of which, the number 6 Seminoles and the number 12 Tigers, will become annual conference foes.
In addition, depending on the luck of the computer, there could be seasons in which one or both of the aforementioned “Techs” are on the slate as well. That’s a tough schedule.
What an overall upgrade moving to the ACC Atlantic with the ‘Noles and Death Valley Tigers added to N.C. State. Boston College, Wake Forest, Maryland and Pittsburgh guaranteed each season.
Throw in the additional two teams from the Coastal (besides the Hokies and Yellow Jackets) among Miami, Virginia, North Carolina and Duke making a difficult path to navigate to a bowl game and to be consistently in the top half (1st through 7th) of the league standings.
At least the ‘Cuse knows it will have five ACC home games in 2013 (odd years) and four on the road, and we can’t wait until it gets started next season.
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football has chance for encore against Top 10 team - October 17, 2017
- Orange Watch: Beating Clemson would accelerate timetable for rebirth of Syracuse football - October 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Pittsburgh 24 - October 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: Already crunch time in ACC for Syracuse football - October 3, 2017
- Orange Watch: The quickest 7-0 score we’ve ever seen in a Syracuse football game - September 27, 2017
- Orange Watch: First Syracuse-LSU meeting in Louisiana was a historic Sugar Bowl tale - September 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 41, Central Michigan 17 - September 16, 2017
- Orange Watch: Former Syracuse coach Scott Shafer classless in victory - September 13, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse v. Middle Tennessee highlights NCAA clock problem - September 12, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football coaches past and present match wits Saturday - September 5, 2017