Every Tuesday over the summer, we’re going to highlight individual players on the 2012-13 Syracuse football team. This week, we feature offensive lineman Justin Pugh.
Syracuse coach Doug Marrone’s job will be even more difficult this fall with the uncertainty of the return of Justin Pugh.
The All Big East tackle suffered a shoulder injury during spring practice and missed the spring game. He also has been sidelined for all of preseason camp.
“I really feel that Justin Pugh is one of the best left tackles in the Northeast,” Marrone said. “I can’t say for the country because I haven’t seen everyone in the country, but I have seen a lot of teams play in this Northeast region. He’s an outstanding football player.”
He’s got the accolades to back Marrone’s statement.
Pugh has started 25 games for the Orange over the past two years and was a First Team All Big East selection last season. He’s also on the watch list for the 2012 Outland Trophy, awarded annually to college football’s top interior lineman.
But it will be difficult for Pugh to compete with that award if he doesn’t get on the field. During Big East Media Day, Pugh was optimistic about an early return.
“I feel good. I feel like I could play right now, but that’s not up to me,” Pugh said. “That’s up to the guys who are professionals in this field.”
Those professionals will reevaluate Pugh in the coming days, with an aim toward Pugh suiting up for Syracuse’s opener against Northwestern at the Carrier Dome.
“My goal is not to miss any games,” Pugh said. “That would be the best situation for me.”
Inside Slant: When healthy, Pugh is one of the top interior linemen in the Big East. The question will be when Pugh finally gets on the field. Though he was optimistic about an early return, Marrone was more conservative in his estimate. “We really don’t have an exact date yet (for his return), but we know it’s not going to be for the preseason,” Marrone said.
- Birthdate: August, 1990
- Hometown: Holland, PA
- High School: Council Rock South
- Position: Offensive Tackle
- Class: Senior
- Height: 6’5″
- Weight: 298 lbs
Career Highlights: As a junior, Pugh was an All-Big East First Team selection, while starting all 12 games. In his career, he has blocked for 1,000-yard rushers Antwon Bailey and Delone Carter.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 31, Virginia Tech 17 - October 15, 2016
- Virginia Tech Hokies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - October 14, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 9, Wake Forest 28 - October 8, 2016
- Waters: Syracuse basketball in ‘good shape’ for 2017 targets - October 6, 2016
- Wake Forest Demon Deacons — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - October 5, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse extends offer to 2017 five-star Billy Preston - October 4, 2016
- Syracuse football notebook: Tom Coughlin calls interview with Bills ‘none of your business’ - October 3, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers Jasiah Provillon, Shayne Simon - October 3, 2016
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 30, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse begins recruitment of Billy Preston - September 30, 2016