Every Tuesday over the summer, The Juice Online is going to highlight individual players on the 2012-13 Syracuse football team. This week, we’re profiling running back Prince-Tyson Gulley.
Last season was set to be an important year for Prince-Tyson Gulley in the backfield. He could take carries behind Antwon Bailey, return kicks and punts and was even a receiving threat. But just four games into the season, Gulley broke his collarbone and his season ended.
In his last game before his injury, Gulley ran for a career-high 66 yards against Toledo.
“I was pretty surprised, but I’ve just always got to be ready,” he said after the game. “That’s the mentality that I have, that’s what they’re telling me so that’s what I need to do.”
And that’s a mentality that still rings true today for Gulley. As preseason begins for the Orange, he is trying to prove to the coaching staff that he is worthy of taking a bulk of the carries this season.
In a group of capable but unproven backs, Gulley could earn a starting spot if he plays with the same kind mindset he did last season.
“Right now, I’m really hungry,” he said after Toledo. “I want to play, so every chance I get, I’ve just got to make something happen so that’s exactly what I was trying to do.”
Inside Slant: Gulley’s strongest asset is his versatility. He’s quick, makes strong cuts and is also a receiving threat. But Gulley is almost as inexperienced as the rest of the Orange backfield. Heading into Junior year, he’s never played an entire college season. During his freshman year, he missed three Big East match ups due to illness and he hasn’t stepped on the field for a game against a real opponent since September of last year. He didn’t really show us anything in the Spring Game, but no one from the backfield did. I can see Gulley taking carries behind Jerome Smith this season, similar to the one-two punch of Delone Carter and Antwon Bailey during the 2010-11 season.
- Birthdate: May 1992
- Hometown: Akron, OH
- High School: Garfield Senior HS
- Position: Running Back
- Class: Junior
- Height: 5’9″
- Weight: 181 lbs
Career Highlights: Prince-Tyson Gulley averaged 21.8 yards per kick return during his freshman year in Orange, which ranked fourth in the Big East. He has taken 31 carries during his career at SU, averaging 5.3 yards per carry and racking up 163 yards and one touchdown.
- Syracuse WR Brisly Estime has career day in win over Wake Forest - November 3, 2013
- Syracuse 0, Georgia Tech 56 — What we learned - October 21, 2013
- Syracuse 24, NC State 10 — What we learned - October 14, 2013
- Syracuse 14, Clemson 49 — What we learned - October 7, 2013
- Syracuse 52, Tulane 17 — What we learned - September 23, 2013
- Syracuse 54, Wagner 0 — What we learned - September 16, 2013
- Syracuse 27, Northwestern 48 — What we learned - September 9, 2013
- Syracuse 17, Penn State 23 — What we learned - September 2, 2013
- No. 1 Ernie Davis — Counting down the Top 5 Syracuse running backs - May 16, 2013
- No. 2 Jim Brown — Counting down the Top 5 Syracuse running backs - May 9, 2013