Newport, R.I. — Syracuse safety Shamarko Thomas was on hand at Big East media day on Tuesday morning. Here’s what he had to say.
The Juice Online: What is your role going to be on the team this year?
Shamarko Thomas: I got to be a leader this year. I’m a senior and I know the defense. I know what the coaches want. Like (defensive coordinator and assistant) coach (Scott) Shafer, I know what he wants in his defense. My role is to be a leader and have our defensive backs balling out this year.
TJO: What are your thoughts on heading to Fort Drum the second week of preseason camp?
ST: It’s excitement, but kind of nervous because I’ve never been on a military base. My dad was in the military but I’ve never been through all of the stuff they’ve been through. I heard we’re going to be doing some of the stuff they do that I’m not used to, so I’m kinda excited, but nervous at the same time.
TJO: What should the SU fans expect from the defense this year?
ST: Versatile. Attacking. Fast. That’s what we’re striving for. Speed. (Our) defense is real fast, explosive, and (we have) some hard hitters. We’re built around playmakers. Preseason is going to show it. We start off on camp on Monday and we’re going to work hard and show you what we’re about.
TJO: Is it going to be hard coming off a disappointing season like last year?
ST: It’s definitely going to hard. 5-7 is not where nobody wants to be, especially in college football. It’s going to be really hard. But all this offseason training and us coming together and putting in all of this work, it’s going to help us out a lot. The preseason is going to help us come together as a team and bond. That’s the big thing about all teams. When you win championships like Alabama, they bond together as brothers. That’s how you compete and beat teams you’re not supposed to beat.
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football has chance for encore against Top 10 team - October 17, 2017
- Orange Watch: Beating Clemson would accelerate timetable for rebirth of Syracuse football - October 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Pittsburgh 24 - October 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: Already crunch time in ACC for Syracuse football - October 3, 2017
- Orange Watch: The quickest 7-0 score we’ve ever seen in a Syracuse football game - September 27, 2017
- Orange Watch: First Syracuse-LSU meeting in Louisiana was a historic Sugar Bowl tale - September 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 41, Central Michigan 17 - September 16, 2017
- Orange Watch: Former Syracuse coach Scott Shafer classless in victory - September 13, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse v. Middle Tennessee highlights NCAA clock problem - September 12, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football coaches past and present match wits Saturday - September 5, 2017