After being one of the founding members of the Big East Conference in 1979, Syracuse will leave on July 1, 2013 for the ACC. That will make the 2012 season the Orange’s last season in the conference.
But SU coach Doug Marrone isn’t assigning this season any more significance.
“I’ve always looked at it since my playing days at Syracuse as Northeast football,” Marrone said. “Then everything goes into conferences. I’ve always been a believer in Eastern football, so it’s very difficult with all the changes.”
In other words, Marrone was indifferent.
It’s hard to blame Marrone. Although he played as an offensive lineman at the school from 1983-85, the Big East didn’t start as a football conference until 1991.
So Marrone had little problem saying goodbye to the conference, instead listing his wedding anniversary and children’s birthdays as more significant times in his life.
Marrone is more than likely to be looking forward to SU leaving the Big East simply so he doesn’t have to answer questions about realignment anymore.
“I’ve had this question a hundred times (in the last few months),” Marrone said. ” I have no feelings about that.”
Instead, Marrone will channel his attention toward the team’s success this season.
“We’re excited about the challenges we have this year,” Marrone said. “I’m not looking forward to what the challenge may be next year, or down the road, because we have a challenging schedule (this year), we have to get better, and we have a lot to prove.”
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 30, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse begins recruitment of Billy Preston - September 30, 2016
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016