Every Tuesday over the summer, we’re going to highlight individual players on the 2012-13 Syracuse football team. This week, we’re profiling offensive guard Zack Chibane.
Before Ryan Nassib can step back to throw, before Jerome Smith can burst through a gap and before Marcus Sales can haul in a pass, Zack Chibane needs to do his job well.
A senior offensive guard, Chibane has blocked for two separate 1,000-yard rushers in his career, Antwon Bailey and Delone Carter.
Now in his final year, Chibane sees the potential of his offensive group.
He has an experienced signal caller in Nassib, who has his fingerprints all over the SU recordbooks. He has a pair of running backs in Jerome Smith and Prince-Tyson Gulley who ooze potential.
He also has a talented group of receivers, headlined by Sales, who dominated in the 2010 Pinstripe Bowl and caught a pair of passes for 68 yards in the spring game, showing little rust from the year layoff.
Syracuse vowed to become more multiple in its offense in the 2012 season, and it’s starting to take shape.
“All of these changes are only going to help us,” Chibane said. “Anyone that really knows football knows that the game is changing and things are getting spread out a little more.
“That’s not to say we’re going to have a spread offense, but we have options so we’re not going to be one dimensional, we’re not going to be two dimensional. We’re going to have a lot of different dimensions to the offense.”
Inside Slant: Chibane and offensive tackle Justin Pugh make this unit into a solid group. Pugh missed the spring game due to an upper body injury, but if he can return and be healthy, the Orange will likely have another 1,000 yard rusher.
- Birthdate: January, 1991
- Hometown: Paramus, NJ
- High School: Paramus High School
- Position: Offensive Guard
- Class: Senior
- Height: 6’5″
- Weight: 293 lbs
Career Highlights: Chibane has blocked for Antwon Bailey and Delone Carter, who were both 1,000 yard rushers. He was also a 2011 Big East All Academic Team selection.
- Michael Gbinije credits Syracuse coaching staff for transition to NBA - June 24, 2016
- Syracuse G Malachi Richardson: Being drafted was like ‘animal’ lifted off back - June 24, 2016
- Former Syracuse forward Michael Gbinije drafted by Detroit Pistons - June 23, 2016
- Former Syracuse forward Malachi Richardson drafted by Sacramento Kings - June 23, 2016
- Zack Mahoney — Meet the 2016 Syracuse Football team - June 23, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 Florida WR Joshua Palmer commits to Syracuse - June 23, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands commitment from 2017 WR Nykein Johnson - June 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2017 WR Nykeim Johnson - June 21, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - June 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse football adds De’Jon Wilson, Tyrell Richards - June 20, 2016