Every Tuesday over the summer, we’re going to highlight individual players on the 2012-13 Syracuse football team. This week, we’re profiling offensive guard Zack Chibane.
Before Ryan Nassib can step back to throw, before Jerome Smith can burst through a gap and before Marcus Sales can haul in a pass, Zack Chibane needs to do his job well.
A senior offensive guard, Chibane has blocked for two separate 1,000-yard rushers in his career, Antwon Bailey and Delone Carter.
Now in his final year, Chibane sees the potential of his offensive group.
He has an experienced signal caller in Nassib, who has his fingerprints all over the SU recordbooks. He has a pair of running backs in Jerome Smith and Prince-Tyson Gulley who ooze potential.
He also has a talented group of receivers, headlined by Sales, who dominated in the 2010 Pinstripe Bowl and caught a pair of passes for 68 yards in the spring game, showing little rust from the year layoff.
Syracuse vowed to become more multiple in its offense in the 2012 season, and it’s starting to take shape.
“All of these changes are only going to help us,” Chibane said. “Anyone that really knows football knows that the game is changing and things are getting spread out a little more.
“That’s not to say we’re going to have a spread offense, but we have options so we’re not going to be one dimensional, we’re not going to be two dimensional. We’re going to have a lot of different dimensions to the offense.”
Inside Slant: Chibane and offensive tackle Justin Pugh make this unit into a solid group. Pugh missed the spring game due to an upper body injury, but if he can return and be healthy, the Orange will likely have another 1,000 yard rusher.
- Birthdate: January, 1991
- Hometown: Paramus, NJ
- High School: Paramus High School
- Position: Offensive Guard
- Class: Senior
- Height: 6’5″
- Weight: 293 lbs
Career Highlights: Chibane has blocked for Antwon Bailey and Delone Carter, who were both 1,000 yard rushers. He was also a 2011 Big East All Academic Team selection.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 78, Duke 75 - February 22, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 65, Georgia Tech 71 - February 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Louisville 76 (OT) - February 13, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 82, Clemson 81 - February 7, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 66, Virginia 62 - February 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 100, NC State 93 OT - February 1, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse announces 2017 class - February 1, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 82, Florida State 72 - January 28, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 81, Wake Forest 76 - January 24, 2017
- Can Syracuse still make the NCAA Tournament? - January 23, 2017