Rick Kamla is the host of NBA TV’s Fantasy Hoops, which airs every night during the regular season at 1 a.m. He’s also the play-by-play man for the Euroleague Game of the Week as well as host of Basketball International. We recently spoke with him to help us break down the Syracuse players that were taken in the NBA draft.
The Juice Online: How will Dion Waiters fit in Cleveland?
Rick Kamla: Waiters will be a great fit in Cleveland because: a) they have a starting gig for him from the jump; b) his slashing skills should blend well with Kyrie Irving’s overall game.
TJO: Did you find it curious that the Cavaliers took Waiters and Tyler Zeller in the first round, two players that never worked out with them?
RK: It is a bit curious, but with so much tape to analyze on both guys, both played for such high profile programs, that the Cavs probably felt like they had seen what they needed to see.
TJO: From a fantasy basketball standpoint, do you think that Waiters may be a potential sleeper in drafts?
RK: Waiters is a fantasy sleeper and a Rookie of the Year candidate because the starting job and the minutes are there for him. That said, I don’t see a lot of assists and 3s, so his value may be limited until those skills develop.
TJO: What type of player do you see Fab Melo developing into with the Boston Celtics?
RK: A shot-blocking, lane-clogging center for at least a decade. In other words, exactly what the Celtics need.
TJO: What will Kris Joseph have to do to earn a spot in Boston’s rotation?
RK: Play defense the way Doc wants him to play defense.
- 2017 NCAA Lacrosse Championship: Syracuse predictions - May 9, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse: 2017 ACC championship predictions - April 27, 2017
- Mixed Juice: Reactions to Syracuse missing 2017 NCAA Tournament - March 13, 2017
- Has Syracuse basketball done enough to make the NCAA Tournament? - March 10, 2017
- Syracuse v. Notre Dame, 1/21/17: Predictions and analysis - January 20, 2017
- Syracuse v. Boston College, 1/14/17: Predictions and analysis - January 13, 2017
- Mixed Juice: 2016 Syracuse football predictions - August 19, 2016
- Mixed Juice: Who will start for 2016-17 Syracuse basketball? - July 29, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse: Parity is the new normal - May 23, 2016
- Thoughts on athletic director Mark Coyle’s departure from Syracuse - May 12, 2016