Every Tuesday over the summer, we’re going to highlight individual players on the 2012-13 Syracuse football team. This week, we’re profiling linebacker Marquis Spruill.
Even though it dominated the game, the SU defense was missing a key component during this year’s Spring Football game at the Carrier Dome.
Marquis Spruill underwent surgery to repair a lower body injury back in January. He was unable to participate in any spring practices or drills and according to a statement from SU, and his status for the 2012 season won’t be assessed until August before preseason camp.
Spruill has made an impact ever since he took the field for the Orange during his freshman year. He started all 13 games during the 2010 season and was statistically one of the best defensive freshmen in the Big East, recording the second most tackles per game.
He carried that performance over into his sophomore season, earning an All Big East Second Team selection. His impact defensively has been huge with his ability to stuff the run and rush the quarterback. He has recorded five sacks in his two years in Orange.
Still, Spurill knows that the Orange has a lot of work to do to improve on its 2011 season. After Syracuse’s 37-17 loss to USF back on Nov. 11, the linebacker had this to say: “I do not think it was the preparation. We prepared very well but we just have to get down to the bottom of it.”
Syracuse can only hope that it has gotten to the bottom of it as it heads into this season.
Inside Slant: After two great seasons at SU, it would be expected that Spruill would improve heading into his junior year. He carried momentum from his freshman to sophomore year and that momentum could only build heading into his third year on the field, right? That would be right if it wasn’t for the injury that has kept him out of any spring and summer activities. No one outside of the football program really knows how much the injury will affect Spruill, but it will definitely halt the progress he had the potential to have during the upcoming year. If nothing changes, Spruill will be explosive and an important player in the middle of the defense.
- Birthdate: May 1991
- Hometown: Newark, NJ
- High School: Hillside HS
- Position: Linebacker
- Class: Junior
- Height: 6’1″
- Weight: 216 lbs
Career Highlights: Spruill was on of 15 true freshman to play during the 2010 season. He has registered 73 tackles during his two years at SU, eight of those tackles were for a loss. He has sacked the opposing quarterback five times for a loss of 33-yards.
- Syracuse WR Brisly Estime has career day in win over Wake Forest - November 3, 2013
- Syracuse 0, Georgia Tech 56 — What we learned - October 21, 2013
- Syracuse 24, NC State 10 — What we learned - October 14, 2013
- Syracuse 14, Clemson 49 — What we learned - October 7, 2013
- Syracuse 52, Tulane 17 — What we learned - September 23, 2013
- Syracuse 54, Wagner 0 — What we learned - September 16, 2013
- Syracuse 27, Northwestern 48 — What we learned - September 9, 2013
- Syracuse 17, Penn State 23 — What we learned - September 2, 2013
- No. 1 Ernie Davis — Counting down the Top 5 Syracuse running backs - May 16, 2013
- No. 2 Jim Brown — Counting down the Top 5 Syracuse running backs - May 9, 2013