The incredible post-season run of the fourth-seeded Syracuse women’s lacrosse team ended just short of a historic first national championship for the 15-year program. The Orange fell to perennial NCAA power Northwestern, 8-6, Sunday night in the championship game at LaValle Stadium in Stony Brook, N.Y.
The title was the second-seeded, defending champion Wildcats’ (22-2) seventh in the last eight seasons.
After late game comebacks in the quarterfinals against North Carolina and semi-final round versus top-seed Florida, the Orange (19-4) could not come back one final time after trailing 5-4 at halftime. Instead, the tortoise-paced, trademark play of the ‘Cats controlled the tempo in the second half holding the ball and limiting the goal opportunities.
The loss left the ‘Cuse program one win shy of culminating the goal of athletic director Daryl Gross when he lured Gary Gait back to campus with an unheard of financial package for a coach in the women’s sport in the summer of 2007 – winning a national championship.
Congratulations to the SU women’s lacrosse team as NCAA runners-up for 2012.
- Orange Watch: A pleasure to finally meet Syracuse coach Dino Babers - September 27, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 - September 24, 2016
- Orange Watch: Tough to be patient with Syracuse in world of Power Five - September 20, 2016
- Orange Watch: The top quarterbacks to play against Syracuse in Carrier Dome history - September 13, 2016
- Orange Watch: If “Orange is the new fast” for Syracuse football, keep it coming - September 6, 2016
- Orange Watch: Part II, 2016 Syracuse football game-by-game previews and predictions - August 26, 2016
- Orange Watch: Part I, 2016 Syracuse football game-by-game previews and predictions - August 23, 2016
- Orange Watch: Will new Hall of Famer Marvin Harrison return to Syracuse this season? - August 9, 2016
- Orange Watch: NCAA graduate transfer rule could alter 2016-17 Syracuse basketball - July 26, 2016
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football will benefit from new AD, football coach, Carrier Dome - July 12, 2016