Item: The Verizon Center in D.C. selected by the NCAA to host the 2013 NCAA East Regional.
Good news for SU hoop fans as the Orange will be eligible to play in the East Regional next March.
The NCAA finally got around to naming a site almost 10 months before the event. With Georgetown’s home venue chosen over the Dome, which would have taken the Orange out of the East bracket, and Brooklyn’s soon-to-open Barclays Center to stage the games after Madison Square Garden, the NCAA’s first choice, was ruled out due to conflicting dates.
The university has submitted a bid to stage the 2015 East Regional in the Dome and it just played host in 2010. The NCAA didn’t feel comfortable going into the new building in Brooklyn without any experience of hosting a college basketball game, let alone the NCAA Tournament, leading to the surprise choice of the Verizon Center.
This year’s geographically-friendly path of Pittsburgh/Boston made it easier for northeast alumni and central New Yorkers to get to the games. Next year could be even easier with a potential for an I-95 jaunt of Philadelphia (second/third rounds) and Washington (regional), as the early stops on a potential road to the Final Four in Atlanta.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 19, Miami 27 - October 21, 2017
- What Are Syracuse’s Chances Of Making a Bowl Game? - October 18, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football has chance for encore against Top 10 team - October 17, 2017
- Orange Watch: Beating Clemson would accelerate timetable for rebirth of Syracuse football - October 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Pittsburgh 24 - October 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: Already crunch time in ACC for Syracuse football - October 3, 2017
- Orange Watch: The quickest 7-0 score we’ve ever seen in a Syracuse football game - September 27, 2017
- Orange Watch: First Syracuse-LSU meeting in Louisiana was a historic Sugar Bowl tale - September 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 41, Central Michigan 17 - September 16, 2017
- Orange Watch: Former Syracuse coach Scott Shafer classless in victory - September 13, 2017